Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a shirt for tuxedo/suit

• 14-02-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I have a black suit, fairly decent, but not a tuxedo. Theres a few college balls coming up (which specify black tie), and I'm wondering whether I can just buy a tuxedo-type shirt and bowtie that will match my suit? ie how much of a difference is there between a tuxedo and a normal suit? Where would be the best/cheapest place to get said shirt/tie? Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

As with just about everything... it depends... :)

Tbh, if your suit is a suit, and not a dress suit, then don't make it out to be a dress suit. The immediate difference is the finish on the lapels. I'm probably a bit fussy and would spot it straight away, others may or may not - But I'd rather get it right.

A dress shirt can have a winged collar, or a turn down (your classic style) collar - it's up to yourself which you go for - You can also get different fronts for your shirt. Don't forget to pick up some good cufflinks too.

Will you have use for the dress suit after these balls? Like, will you have them again next year? Will you have other formal events to attend?

If you have... just go buy a dress suit - It'll look much better and you'll get the use out of it.

As for buying your shirt and bowtie, you have loads of choice, from M&S, Black Tie and Debenhams to the 'nicer' stores like Lewins and Brown Thomas, it just depends how much you're willing to spend. If you want to look well, then spend well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Cheers fajitas! Last year of college so probably wouldn't get too much use out of it next year, if I was to buy one. Also, I barely have the money! Although it could be 3 or 4 balls in the next few weeks so it would definitely be cheaper to buy one than rent for all of them. Plus I rented a tux before and it was fairly crap.

The suit I have would be more dressy than businessy, but I don't think it would pass for a proper dress suit. However these balls will be the usual college messy affairs and I doubt I'd get refused entry or whatever, even if I wasn't black tie. Its good to luck good though! But anyways I guess I'll see what I can afford and then act accordingly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 nomdeguerre

Sorry Just-Joe, this post is of no assistance to you, so feel free to ignore!

A little bit off-topic but I think that, for a man, black-tie events are almost anti-fashion. It seems to be something that has survived more because of some sort of ugly snobbery than because of an appreciation of the style. Just my personal opinion of course!

I think they're probably one of the best places for picking out who has an eye for fashion, to be honest - everyone knows what dresswear looks like, but it really stands out when someone knows how to dress well, getting the perfect shirt, shoes, cufflinks, bowtie, etc really makes a difference when every other chap there is wearing the standard setup.

just-joe wrote: »
    Cheers fajitas! Last year of college so probably wouldn't get too much use out of it next year, if I was to buy one. Also, I barely have the money! Although it could be 3 or 4 balls in the next few weeks so it would definitely be cheaper to buy one than rent for all of them. Plus I rented a tux before and it was fairly crap.

Well, off the top of my head, rental is about 80-100 a go, if you were going down that route. But... I've been somewhat reliably informed that the evening wear from M&S isn't actually that bad. Tbh, I'd say it's as least as good as what you're going to get in Black Tie - Though I wouldn't be buying in either myself :pac:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Eveningwear-Suits-Mens/b/43490030

If you could wear the slim fit one, you've got yourself a nice enough outfit (With a shirt and bowtie) for about £140... so probably €160/170ish?

If you have the balls, get the white jacket though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Arnotts have some great deals on suits, shirts etc at the moment. Not as cheap as other places but the quality is great and some major discounts in there at the moment. I got a lovely suit last week for 50% off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They have tuxes in the bargain basement store in arnotts for less than E100 iirc

Advertisement