Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulating 1960's house

• 14-02-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    Im in the process of buying a 1960's house. I intend to spend a little on it before moving in to insulate and modernize it.
    From a insulation point of view i intend to replace all windows and doors with new ones as the existing ones are single glazed and poor condition, then i will pump the walls (beads) and line the attic. I also intend to externally insulate the house but not before i move in as i may decide to do some small extension in the first year. Here are some of my concerns:

1. Is external insulation less affective if your wall cavity is not insulated i.e. heat escaping through top of cavity?

2. If i decide to externally insulate a year down the road will i have to move my new windows and doors out?

3. How thick is the external insulation plus render and will i have to extend the facia/sofit/roof? Also these days what is the price per square metre and does this include moving windows/roof etc.

4. Are there thinner alternatives to the conventional external insulation i.e. insulating plaster?? As anything i can do to cover the pebble dash would be great!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

reddle28 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im in the process of buying a 1960's house. I intend to spend a little on it before moving in to insulate and modernize it.
    From a insulation point of view i intend to replace all windows and doors with new ones as the existing ones are single glazed and poor condition, then i will pump the walls (beads) and line the attic. I also intend to externally insulate the house but not before i move in as i may decide to do some small extension in the first year. Here are some of my concerns:

1. Is external insulation less affective if your wall cavity is not insulated i.e. heat escaping through top of cavity?

yes can happen if cavity is not sealed,

2. If i decide to externally insulate a year down the road will i have to move my new windows and doors out?

windows and doors are not moved unless absoulutly necessary reveals are cut away some times depends on the house

3. How thick is the external insulation plus render and will i have to extend the facia/sofit/roof? Also these days what is the price per square metre and does this include moving windows/roof etc.

Think its like 90mm or 120mm depends on the system

4. Are there thinner alternatives to the conventional external insulation i.e. insulating plaster?? As anything i can do to cover the pebble dash would be great!!

pebble dash is scratched and then and then insulated over

check out these lads they were helpfull <SNIP>

Thanks

hope that helps a bit

Mod edit: Please do not post links to a business and do not insert text withing a quoted post - use multi quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatcyMcl

The best bang for the buck is insulating above the ceilings since most heat loo occurs there. Just don't block you side soffit vents.

Advertisement