Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JET Program

• 14-02-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to post this thread..

Just had my interview for the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) program, went quite well, I soooo hope I get it! Did anyone else around here interview for it? Thoughts/feelings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Soccertainer

Is this joe from conversation exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hi, sorry about late reply, only thought to check this now.

Nope a different Joe, you must know one from Eng/Jap conversation exchange? As it turns out I got the JET programme and will be going to Japan in July (woot!) - so this conversation exchange sounds interesting! What are the details, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Soccertainer

just-joe wrote: »
    Hi, sorry about late reply, only thought to check this now.

Nope a different Joe, you must know one from Eng/Jap conversation exchange? As it turns out I got the JET programme and will be going to Japan in July (woot!) - so this conversation exchange sounds interesting! What are the details, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi, Conversation exchange, Ilac centre library 12:30 saturday for 2 hours. I stopped going though as there aren't enough japanese people turning up, Its nice and social, but 95% conversing in english. Just back from japan myself, great fun. You'll have a blast. I'm studying with a japanese girl at the moment to improve the japanese, enjoying it. Best of luck in Japan dude. If you need any tips or help give me a shout : Soccertainer@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Hey Joe

Just wondering how long it took between doing the interview and getting the acceptance confirmation? I'm hoping to do the JET programme myself next year, and I'm trying to get an idea of the time-frame.

Also, did you have a TEFL course under your belt? If so, do you you think it made a big difference in the interview? I probably won't have one by the time applications start in october.

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hey Ripcord,

the application/interview/acceptance timeframe was super long! I think it went like this:
    Submitted application by mid December.
    Interview on Wednesday February 10th.
    Absolutely ages until finding out - around April 10th?!

I didn't have a TEFL, and from the sounds of it it wouldn't matter if you didn't either. Especially if you had to pay to get it, just for JET, it wouldn't make sense. It would be good if you had previous english teaching though, in a foreign country would have to be a massive positive, something to keep ya busy this summer maybe? I didn't have this either though. On the application/in the interview I spoke about how I had coached junior judo lessons, given grinds, and also took part in Trinity VDP Kids' Club which organises activities for kids who live beside Trinity. So think along those lines definitely if not the TEFL thing as well. Also (which college are ya in?), if ya happen to be in Trinity that has a Japanese Society that ya could get involved with!

But mainly it seems they're looking for positive and enthusiastic people, who are adaptable, and interested in Japan/JET. They aren't really looking for people who can speak perfect Japanese (although that couldn't hurt!) and love manga, I guess Japanophiles would be the word.

Good luck with it though, it seems to be an awesome opportunity like, I hope it goes well for you (and me too!). And throw me any questions you have, I assume I'll be better able to answer them once I actually start the programme.

Oh yeah there is a whole host of information on the web about JET, and people who do it. Especially the video logs on youtube, mainly from American people, have loads of info about JET. Some cool blogs too, (try Gaijin Hunter). Peace, Joe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement