Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were your circumstances when you got your first dog?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

There's a lot to think about when you're considering getting a dog and we see a lot of new members here wondering about whether a dog is right for their life.
    In addition rescue centres can be very strict about your lifestyle and working hours when they are considering you as an adopter of one of their dogs.
    Out of sheer curiosity, what were your circumstances when you got your first dog and how has it turned out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I was working 12 hour night shift which were halfway over the weekend, so I was thinking my dog would have to be pretty much left to his own devices for 2 days a week while I slept, although he'd have company from other family members in the evenings and at weekends. As it turned out, there was nearly always someone else at home when I was working and if there wasn't, he'd sleep with me quite happily if I took him out in the mornings for an hour first.

It was quite hard on my sleep at first, but worked out wonderfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was a 5 month old baby. My parents decided to get our dog on a garda recommendation after we'd been broken into a few times. So my mum and dad got a labrador-collie mix and we all slept together on a mattress on the floor of the bedroom. She died about three years ago though, lived to be 15!

We got our second dog just there on Friday. My parents now work from home and I'm in college and working so I'm home at irregular hours. I have a 16 year old sister who is luckily going to be on midterm next week so can keep the pup company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've had a dog everyday of my life, so my first one I can't really remember. The first dog I do remember getting was a white and brown jack russell puppy, who I called 'fluffy', even though he was short-haired?? He was my 6th birthday present from my dad, his friend's dog had had a litter so my dad brought me down to choose one for my birthday! I had fluffy for years until he was stolen while in our garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

I got my first dog 2 months after my husband died, and my daughter was 12. We'd been talking about getting a dog before he died and when a neighbour told us about an approx 8 week old lab/collie cross that a friend of hers had found abandoned we took her in. I cried more tears into that pup's hair every night than I would ever have cried in front of others and got so much love and comfort in return, and as she used to disappear with my daughter into her room each evening I think she suffered the same fate there. She also opened up a whole new world to us - we discovered parks and rivers in the neighbourhood where she could run and swim (places we wouldn't have found without her) and I've made new and real friends with other dog owners there.

That pup is now 11, slightly arthritic, has small cataracts and two JTR sisters aged 8 and 3. She's a very much loved elder lemon and I'm so glad we've given her a happy life in return for all the happiness, comfort and love she's brought to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

theghost wrote: »
    I got my first dog 2 months after my husband died, and my daughter was 12. We'd been talking about getting a dog before he died and when a neighbour told us about an approx 8 week old lab/collie cross that a friend of hers had found abandoned we took her in. I cried more tears into that pup's hair every night than I would ever have cried in front of others and got so much love and comfort in return, and as she used to disappear with my daughter into her room each evening I think she suffered the same fate there. She also opened up a whole new world to us - we discovered parks and rivers in the neighbourhood where she could run and swim (places we wouldn't have found without her) and I've made new and real friends with other dog owners there.

That pup is now 11, slightly arthritic, has small cataracts and two JTR sisters aged 8 and 3. She's a very much loved elder lemon and I'm so glad we've given her a happy life in return for all the happiness, comfort and love she's brought to us.

Wow thats a pretty touching story.

Great to hear your dog has brought you so much happiness after the tragic loss of your husband.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Friday December 13th in 1991, two kids that I taught came to my door with a small, shaking, bag of sugar sized black bundle. The bundle's name was Sam
    One of their fathers was going to throw him in the canal if they could not find someone to take him. I pick him up and he piddled on me.

He had me at hello.

I had him 18 and a half years until I had to put him down last June.

I haven't got another yet, but when I do it will be a rescue mongrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

theghost wrote: »

That is a beautiful story :) There has been many the time that an animal has helped me through tough times. Much love to your great pooch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Our first dog arrived for my 12th birthday and arrived into a house full of teenagers, so she was rarely on her own for more than two hours at a time.

Got our staffie nearly 3 months ago now (only feels like 3 weeks!). I work very regular hours - I'm out of the house for 11 hours Monday-Friday, but my wife works irregular hours and rarely works 5-day weeks so our dog usually has 3 or 4 hours on her own before somebody arrives home. If there's ever a day where both me and my wife are out all day, my sister-in-law who works nearby will come over at lunchtime and take the dog out for a walk and a cuddle.

The intention was (still is) that my sister-in-law would bring the dog to work, but her place have temporarily put a ban on any new dogs being brought into work because the place is bedlam at the moment! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Well growing up at home we always had dogs but I got my "own" dog almost two years ago when I moved into my own house.

She is a rescue and I had feared that they may not see me as suitable as I lived on my own (at the time) and was at work for 8.5hrs everyday.
    But after the house inspection I got my little girl and I couldn't imagine my house without her now.

Even last night the delight when she saw me as I had been away for the weekend was immense (she of course had a dog sitter :).
    She was like my shadow all evening in case I left her again, even thinking of her now makes me emotional (such a sap!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

We got Sindy from my aunt. The day my dad died, very unexpectedly, my aunt showed me the picture of this little blonde bundle. We had to have her and ten days later took her home.
    Like theghost she's had me cry into her fur a lot and she has been the best addition to our family. Walks and laughter every day :-)
    I work fulltime as does my hubbie but I can work from home and do as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

My wife and I had wanted to get a dog for a long time, but always rationalised against it "We live in a flat, we both work full time, it won't be fair" etc. etc.

Then, one Saturday last June my wife appeared home from work with a small, scared JRT X. We posted photos and details on lampposts, contacted the Guards, put up on lostandfound.ie, had her scanned and checked by a vet (no chip) and all to no avail.

To cut a long story short, we think she was effectively abandoned into my wife's care by somebody who claimed she found this stray, but was really giving away her own dog.

We debated the practicalities and decided the best thing to do would be to try and find somebody who could give this little pooch a better future. In the end we contacted Ash, and they agreed to take her.

We both took a day off work about a week and a half after finding her and drove down to Ash. On getting there, we took one look, my wife burst into tears and we turned around.*

We moved into a house with a garden, and my wife moved into a part-time job. I work at home when I need to, and we now also have another lovely rescue JRT X. All in all, Lucy and Jack have a loving home and we have two fantastic dogs. I wouldn't change a thing.

* That is no reflection on Ash and the excellent work they do. We just couldn't leave her.

Advertisement