Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Required items for bringing an infant swimming

Options
  • 14-02-2010 3:53pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello. I'm about to start teaching a 3 month old how to swim. I'm totally at a loss as to what the baby needs. I presume somewhere makes swimsuits that small? And how about a water nappy, is there such a thing? I know she's too small for water wings so I'll be holding her all the time.
    Would love to hear from other people who have brought babies swimming. Good or bad idea? I've found a spa pool which is warm so she should be happy in that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi Dory

Penneys have swim suits for young babies that are reasonable considering it wont fit her for long! I got some swim nappy samples in the supermarket, I've seen the full packet in Tescos, I cant remember who make them. Some swimming pools sell them too.
    Not sure where you are based by waterbabies.ie is in Dublin offering lessons for babies. Alot of pools also have a mother and toddler group.

Best of luck!
    Eims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭themysteriouson

Dunnes and Hetaons do lovely little swimming togs. For nappies the Aqua nappies are really good or the pampers little swimmers work aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You don't really need a swimsuit at all. Lots of little kids just wear their swim nappies in the pool. You do need a specific water nappy as the standard ones can swell and burst, make sure it fits tightly to prevent any leakages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Is three month a bit too young to start swimming? I'm not attacking your parenting skills, though, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

branie wrote: »
    Is three month a bit too young to start swimming? I'm not attacking your parenting skills, though, OP.

Well the baby previously spent about 9 months swimming :D

It's the most natural thing in the world to babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Swimming with a baby is very therapeutic for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

I recall that it was wise for baby to have completed their primary immunisations programme before entering a swimming pool.

Perhaps this recommendation has been re-evaluated, albeit I personally would not allow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes the first thing needed is the first rounds of immunisations, once an infant has those and has recovered they can be taken swimming, if you re not sure check with your dr or public health nurse. After that then waterproof nappies and a swim suit, some pools will insist on hats as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When my baby was 4 months old we spent a month in france and i brought her swimming every day.

You need swim nappies
    a baby wet suit as they get cold easily and some sort of swim suit.
    We tried both the disposable and non disposable nappies and the disposable one were better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I never bothered with a swimsuit for my babies when i brought them swimming a swimming nappie or if you can get your hands on a pair of reusable swimming pants they are great, boots sell them or try smyths or mothercare.

My little fella who is over 1 now never went in a float either... not interested.

Baby will be tired after swim, so you are best off just getting baby washed dried and dressed before tending to yourself. Then if you get baby into their buggy they should settle for you and give you time to get dressed. Baby will also be very hungry.. As will you probably!!

Also have a towel by the pool to wrap baby in when you get out, because you dont want baby to get wet.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

My 2 were in the pool from 16 and 10 weeks. Both loved it. Got reusable swim nappies in mothercare (both boys), little swim pants that you could wash afterwards. When they outgrew them I just got little shorts and swim nappy - btw boots do their own swim nappies which are cheaper unless you get the huggies ones on sale. The inflatable baby seats are fun too and let them experience being in the water without having to be in your arms.
    I used to have a towel poolside for the little one. Also had the car seat or buggy beside the showers and carried baby into teh shower for a quick rinse off, then wrapped in the towel and popped into the seat while I showered. Then nappy on and handed over a bottle (or propped it up when they were younger) while I dressed, oh yeah a second dry warm towel/blanket kept them warm. Then I could get them sorted. Reason to do it this way was otherwise I was soaking wet while dressing them and they ended up wet again. As they got older the buggy replaced the car seat and as soon as they were sitting up the buggy stayed at the changing area and I'd just pop them on the floor while I showered. Our pool also has playpens so you can rest assured that you won't end up running out into the gym in a towel looking for them when they escape.

My guys are 2 and 4 now, one doing proper lessons and neither of them has ever had any fear of the water, we go every week and they love it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We bought a swimsuit for junior (he looked like Scuba Steve!) and we found it very useful as he wriggled a lot and it gave much better grip on him than his skin. Plus it kept him warmer when out of the water. It cost us all of €4 in dunnes.

Advertisement