Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PT1000 silicone sensor controller

Options
  • 14-02-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I want to get a controller for a pt1000 sensor. A simple one that will open and close a valve at a set temp. Anyone know where i'll get one

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Velleman do a kit for a thermistor sensor.
    Probably not suitable for for a Pt 1000 at 2ohms/degC.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you want to close a valve at a set temperature simply use a stat. This is easy, cheap and effective. From your description I think this is what you want.

If you want to do something fancy such as modulating a valve based on an analog temperatue input then a controler is required. Radionics sell these AFAIK.

The resistance of thermisters generaly reduces with heat where as a PT1000 does the oposite. They are very different animals, it would not be normal to use a thermister to measure a range of temperatures. They are generally used to change resistance rapidly at a point which makes them suitable for protecting motor windings from over heating. A PT1000 changes resistance at almost directly in proportion with a change in temperature over about 600 degrees which makes them ideal for temperatue measurement. Therefore a simple controller for a PT1000 would not be suitable for a thermister.

Advertisement