Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HollyBarn dog training

• 14-02-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Does anybody know how much it is to get residental training in hollybarn dog training in mayo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not familiar with them but if it's a training center where owners leave their dogs and collect them after a week or so I wouldn't use them. Owners need to be trained alongside the dog, most dog behavioural issues are because the owner isn't getting it right not the dog so it's very important for it to be a team with with both dog and owner working together.

If it's one where the owner stays with the dog over the week or so then it's worth doing.

Where ever you choose just make sure they use humane methods only, no choke chains etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

I'd agree whole heartedly with GuineaPig.
    Owner & dog effort all the way, with most of the work on owners part.
    No quick fix to training I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wombie

No advertising your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Where ever you choose just make sure they use humane methods only, no choke chains etc.

Hi,
    I recently took my hyper-active dog to a guy known to be a reputable trainer. He uses a choke chain and claims that, used properly, it is very effective. He says that the secret is in the way it is used and that nothing else will work for my dog.
    I went that first day but, because of all the negative stuff I have heard about these choke chains, I have not gone back and I am too concerned that I am doing the wrong thing. I must say that my dog did respond well to him using the chain and actually walked in a calm and well behaved way. But it still did not sit right with me.
    Did I do the right thing and what other form of training is going to be effective for my dog?
    PS; If I am going too far off the OP's topic just tell me to go away:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wombie

No advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

Of course he walked calmly with the trainer(?) he was being scared into it with a negative reinforcement.
    You can only follow through with a training method that you believe in, not one that is forced on you.
    There is no one method fits all when training a dog, it's about finding what motivates them & using it to your advantage. Yes you can follow guidelines but they'll alway have to be tweaked for you & you dog.
    clevercanines.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Wombie, call me a cynic but every post you made on boards refers to Hollybarn, are you getting percentage :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

EGAR wrote: »
    Wombie, call me a cynic but every post you made on boards refers to Hollybarn, are you getting percentage :D.

Aye - I have a strong feeling that Wombie *IS* hollybarnwotsit.ie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Aye - I have a strong feeling that Wombie *IS* hollybarnwotsit.ie

Same here--all advertisng posts removed.

Advertisement