Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Pet Bedding

Options
  • 14-02-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the Recycling section but will see if I get a response here

What do people who have a significant number of furries here do with their used bedding. With my mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils etc, we end up with quite a lot of waste. It is mix of sawdust, shredded paper, hemp bedding, uneaten food and husks and feces. Logically it is all organic waste so would be ok to go to the recycling center as green but as it has animal droppings, they might not like it. It seems a waste to put into landfill plus I fill 2 15kg bags a week so it costs be a good bit to put it in my bin.

Does anyone here recycle their used bedding or does it go in the normal bin. PS, we dont have brown bins here yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Woodchips, carefresh etc. is all compostable as is rodent poops as long as they are healthy. Gerbil and hammie poop make good compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Woodchips, carefresh etc. is all compostable as is rodent poops as long as they are healthy. Gerbil and hammie poop make good compost.
    I agree, it would make great compost but will recycling centers let me get rid of it as green waste. I dont have the room to compost it in my garden. Mention rodents and some people associate that with disease. I dont really want to load the car up with bags of bedding only to be turned away because they wont accept it as green waste.

Advertisement