Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trainer wanted

• 14-02-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

looking for nothing special just something cheap,simple reliable
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Where's your DFGSS now, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭fixie

ah.
    see no-one on dfgss would have a trainer cause we have no need for one cause we're already so fasttt!
    were you there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

lol, no didn't head down. were there many boards/dfgss heads there?

yeah there was loads and loads of boardies,id say 2 or 3 hundred!;)
    just none of them were quick enough :D
    was just petethedrummer who turned up,i think?

not sure how many were, first time at a fixie finatics aswell so cant really compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

It was a poor turnout to be sure, fixie you were mightily impressive, I see some good races between you and petethedrummer in the future :)

Next time we'll be somewhere warm, I promise, and we'll have all night so hopefully get a lot more people racing.

Are you looking for a turbo trainer or rollers?

• Advertisement

turbo trainer or rollers?
    id prefere a turbo trainer and was looking at this... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30009
    it looks like itll do the job but i taught there might be a few people selling them after the winter?
    its just for the days when the weathers crap and i have nothing better to do,
    oh yeah and so i can get a bit quicker at the golsprints!

scrap that last post.
    blorg just told me that some turbo trainers will not work with a fixie so sounds like i need a set of rollers?
    anyone have anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyoncobbles

I have these at home. Had great plans but not my cup of tea. Used them twice I think.:o

http://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Ecotrack-Roller/dp/B000NNQLGQ

How does €50 sound?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

fixie wrote: »
    blorg just told me that some turbo trainers will not work with a fixie so sounds like i need a set of rollers?

I 've used mine (Giant Bowery) on the turbo lots of times with no problems.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

scrap that last post. blorg just told me that some turbo trainers will not work with a fixie so sounds like i need a set of rollers? anyone have anything?

If you're training for Goldsprints I'm not sure rollers are a great idea as you'll need to tie the bike down (unless you have supernatural balance).

I wouldn't use a fixie on an expensive turbo, but I am about to sell a cheap turbo (<€50) that I've been using for the last couple of months. It could be fine for your purposes - I am only selling it because I need very high resistance for anaerobic intervals.

• Advertisement

in between the roller and the trainer now!
    lumen,do you have the manual for the trainer?
    and what make and how old is it?

kellyoncobbles,do you know if a fork support adapter thing can be got for those rollers?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lumen,do you have the manual for the trainer?
    and what make and how old is it?

I'll check when I get home. It's pretty new, I bought it from another boardsie (in an almost unused state) in November 09 and have used it regularly since then.

A bit of plastic on the clamp has broken, but it doesn't seem to have affected the security of the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

RobFowl wrote: »
    I 've used mine (Giant Bowery) on the turbo lots of times with no problems.....
    They tell you not to do it but I would risk it with something cheap certainly. You can get special axle nuts that are optimised to clamp into the trainer. To be honest simulating roller racing you might be best leaving the trainer wheel disconnected (=no resistance), I don't know if you could get anywhere near roller type resistance on even the lowest trainer setting.

Obviously with the wheel not touching the trainer there would be no risk whatsoever.

looks like il be getting the rollers off kellyoncobbles...
    would that fork support fit a track fork?
    anychance youd be in dublin anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

looks like il be getting the rollers off kellyoncobbles...
    would that fork support fit a track fork?
    anychance youd be in dublin anytime soon?
    A track fork is exactly the same as a road fork in terms of the dropouts so don't see why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't use a fixie on an expensive turbo, but I am about to sell a cheap turbo (<€50) that I've been using for the last couple of months. It could be fine for your purposes - I am only selling it because I need very high resistance for anaerobic intervals.

If your selling in the next week I could be interested.

kellyoncobbles if you wont be in dublin anytime soon il take the trainer of lumen,so pm me so i can make my mind up,,

pm sent

lumen,
    sell away,
    im going to buy the rollers off kellyoncobbles
    thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement