Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy with ticks or mites?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

My family and I got a puppy on Friday, she is a beautiful border collie, since we have brought her home she has been scratching occasionally and usually in the one spot,behind her ear. She is approx 10 weeks old. When we decided to get the dog I went to my local petshop and picked up the regular bits and bobs that you need when you get a puppy, but as she was too small for the treatment that I bought for her for fleas I brought to the pet shop to exchange it for something else but I was told that she was too young for the regular treatments that they had and that it was highly unlikely and more than likely it was just a change in her environment or maybe she had ticks but to check around the back of her head as she this would be the best place to find the fleas if she had any. After checking her out I found no fleas on her. Today while a friend was petting her she said that she saw a white insect like creature crawling on her, and now I am confused as to what this is?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Bring her to the vet for a good check. If she has fleas/ticks/mites she will need a good quality treatment that only the vet would have and they can recommend a good treatment for her.

She will need her injections and worm dose anyway so best to get it all done at the same time. Dont leave it too long as it could get worse and be harder and take longer to treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

Thanks andreac
    She has had her first vacination and was wormed by the breeder. But I will bring her to the vet to be checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dont forget, pups need to be wormed every month until they are 6 months and then every 3 months from then on.

She will need 2 more sets of vaccinations before she can go outside as she is at risk of catching serious infections so make sure you dont bring her out until all her vaccs are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Remember to send the vet bill to the breeder as well. Although you'll be lucky to get any money for the vet bill but you should contact the breeder regardless so they can check the rest of their dogs.
    Sounds like it could be lice either way a trip to the vets and they'll probably put advocate or stronghold on the pup.

Advertisement