Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a PAYG Sim in the US

• 14-02-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I tried scouring through the search for any info on this but came up emtpy handed.
    Does anyone have any info/experience on buying a PAYG sim card in the US? Is it easy enough or awkward?

I ask as I'm due to head to NYC for a week in two weeks time and I'm going to be staying with a friend over there. I have heard that 3 sims (which I have now) can be quite tempremental over there and may not actually work. As I'll actually be spending most of my time in Jersey just across from Manhattan and I'll be using my phone quite a bit to organise meeting up with people while over there, I was just going to buy a PAYG Sim and use that. My phone is factory unlocked and has original SE firmware so there's not problem there either.

Anyone have any advice? Know which carrier may be best, AT&T? Sprint? T-Mobile?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

I walked into an AT&T shop while I was in California in August last year. There was a long queue of people, so I had to wait about half hour to finally get my SIM card. They will want your name and address and an ID, but you can give them any address you want, the shop assistant just put in the address of the shop. You need that address if you want to register on the web site, then you can change it to whatever you want.

SIM card worked perfectly fine during the month I was there, although calls are not really that cheap and you have to pay for receiving calls as well, still cheaper then roaming though. Make sure your phone is quad band, as the frequencies in the US are different then in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Thanks for the info. The phone will be fine over there, I was just more concerned about getting the sim card to be honest. I'll have an address I can give them no problem and I figure if I put $40 onto it it'll work out cheaper than having to preload my 3 phone (on best of both) with €50 to make sure I dont run out of credit while I'm there... if it even works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Volker

Your phone will definitely not be fine with Sprint. T-mobile and/or ATT might work.

Getting a prepaid SIM won't be a problem. You can get one via ebay.ie right now, brought to you by the people that unlock and resell prepaid phones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

With 3, I had coverage in New York, No coverage in Georgia, Arizona or California.

You can buy USA T-Mobile and AT&T SIMs of ebay...

Advertisement