Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

makeshift ways of keeping warm?

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keryl wrote: »
    Not sure Mick, I just took the plunge then again I was going around last September with a wetsuit showing my chest..... :P

Hah! True that. Sun was low in sky when I got in, and the wind was pretty brisk, that might have been the reason or I could just be getting soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Yeah first day for me, stripped them before St Patricks Day in 2012 so I try and get there early.

Must meet up for a surf one of the days

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Was out yesterday evening myself was the total opposite for me, water was baltic!

Water was still fecking freezing in Tramore yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Had a super fun session in strandhill on saturday by the ramp, had to head out for a latte and change of suit :D

Have to say, the latte really helped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Had a super fun session in strandhill on saturday by the ramp, had to head out for a latte and change of suit :D

Have to say, the latte really helped
    I'm telling Ted you shandy drinking sissy now mtfu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

keryl wrote: »
    As of yesterday the hat, boots and gloves were off praise the lord. Lets hope they stay off.

Jaysus man you're nuts! It was freezing on Saturday when I was out with all of the above! Fair play

I'm telling Ted you shandy drinking sissy now mtfu

Sometimes nothing beats relaxing between surfs with a latte

You'll understand this soon :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Sometimes nothing beats relaxing between surfs with a latte

You'll understand this soon :D:D:D:D
    Acceptable drinks are beer whiskey, rum or maybe tea if you leave the tea bag in. Coffee is Ok if you irish it up but frothy milk soft - man the f up wella boy

Don't get me started on the joys of listening to the radio, I'll have you converted soon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

Decos wrote: »
    Jaysus man you're nuts! It was freezing on Saturday when I was out with all of the above! Fair play

Probably more stupid than anything else:p We'll see what the month of April brings us;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Geomy wrote: »
    Excel drylock are supposed to be good warm gloves,magicseaweed are selling them...

There are plenty of good warm gloves on the market, and imho its not necessary to go to England for them. Support an Irish surf shop instead. They pay their vat and taxes in Ireland, are there if you need a bar of wax or a leash in a hurry and are often cheaper than magicseaweed if you shop around. For example magicseaweed are £240 sterling - about €290 - for a c-skins wired 5mm suit and they are available in Ireland for less than that, so Ireland rather than magicseaweed is where I got mine. Nice to shop in our own country.

Lets hope the worst of the cold air temperature is nearly over for another winter, but the water is still cold, was out recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zygnoth

My tips for a warm surf:

- Get a pair of gloves that are tight when dry. They will swell up in the water and if there's any space, will get very heavy.
    - Obviously winter wetsuit that fits
    - I prefer boots with the toe gap. They feel snugger on me and help prevent foot roll when it gets cold:

xcel-infiniti-3mm-split-toe-wetsuit-booties-black-grey.jpg

- Get a hoodie you like. I've tried on many and definitely have a favourite.
    - Fill up a two liter bottle with very hot water and wrap it in your towel. Just before the surf, dump it down the front & back of the wetsuit.
    - Learn how to work your car's heaters. The only time I use the down arrow is after surfing and it warms up the feet well:

hAeNaal.jpg

- Finally, in the lineup, put your hands under your armpits to look like you belong. This will help prevent ice-cold stares from the locals:

angry_baby_head2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

true wrote: »
    There are plenty of good warm gloves on the market, and imho its not necessary to go to England for them. Support an Irish surf shop instead. They pay their vat and taxes in Ireland, are there if you need a bar of wax or a leash in a hurry and are often cheaper than magicseaweed if you shop around. For example magicseaweed are £240 sterling - about €290 - for a c-skins wired 5mm suit and they are available in Ireland for less than that, so Ireland rather than magicseaweed is where I got mine. Nice to shop in our own country.

Lets hope the worst of the cold air temperature is nearly over for another winter, but the water is still cold, was out recently.

How much are xcel drylock gloves in your local shop ?

Try going to the algarve for a week :D

Advertisement