Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help - Lost all files when my EX HD fell over....

• 14-02-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey - I lost all my files from a seagate ex hd (it fell over). The ex hd now does not show up on my laptop and makes a squeaky noise...i have all my college photography work on this along with other important stuff...

Has this happened to anyone and you managed to get the files recovered? if so how or can you please point me in the right direction...is there someone i can contact or are those data recovery places any good.....

id appreciate any help. thanks....

* before it went completely it said "delayed write failure"...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Not very hopeful :(
    data recovery companies can probably sort you out, but they can be astronomically expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sloppydex

yeah about 100 bucks before they do anything....thanks anyhow

before it went completely it said
    d "delayed write failure"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Could be caddy electronics that are failing, hard drive might be ok. You'd need to take it out of the caddy, and connect directly to the insides of a PC. Or use a USB<->SATA/IDE cable to try to read the data.

Try different usb cables and ports on your pc with the caddy before the above though, just to rule them out.

If it still doesn't work after that, try a linux boot disk (like Knoppix) and see if it can read the HD.

If it still doesn't work after all these, you'll be looking to pay someone to try and recover the data for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

polyfusion wrote: »
    Could be caddy electronics that are failing, hard drive might be ok. You'd need to take it out of the caddy, and connect directly to the insides of a PC. Or use a USB<->SATA/IDE cable to try to read the data.

Try different usb cables and ports on your pc with the caddy before the above though, just to rule them out.

If it still doesn't work after that, try a linux boot disk (like Knoppix) and see if it can read the HD.

If it still doesn't work after all these, you'll be looking to pay someone to try and recover the data for you.

If there wasn't a "and makes a squeaky noise" bit I would say go for it.

Op, hard drive recovery should be about 500-1000 Euros depending on what is actually wrong with it. There are a number of Irish company's who offer this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sloppydex

Thanks guys - ive no idea of the above options (thanks anyway) other than bring it in to someone..but those prices are ridiculous...thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement