If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 HDMI INPUT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

Yes, it should work.
    As it has three hdmi inputs and 1 output.
    1 input for the xbox, the other for the ps3 and another available for blueray, or any other device.
    Althought according to avforums, it cannot process multiaudio over the hdmi, so it will have to use optical and coaxial (will still work, but the hdmi conectors will only transfer video, and the amplifier will only get the multichannel (the stereo would be ok) if connected as well using optical or coaxial cable)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1032277-sony-strdh500-170-thoughts.html

I do have the denon 1910 and it is the best thing ever (apart from the remote control, but i did replace it with an harmony one)
    It is a little more expensive, but allows you to have upscale, upsampling (2 channels will play over 5.1, it has plenty of inputs (coaxial, analog, hdmi, optical, etc) and radio.
    And can control two zones.

But if you can live with the play and the xbox connected using two cables at the time (the moment you switch hdmi input the audio would follow as you should be able to configure audio in for that hdmi to be certain optical input) it would be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hey Popo.

Serarra is bang on. The HDMI Inputs on the Sony are only a pass-through and are for video switching only.

You can still go into the receiver with optical inputs but it's not ideal. The other disadvantage is that the Sony will not handle high definition audio.

If you look at the Onkyo 507, this is an amp that is capable of taking the audio from the HDMI and also decodes high definition audio.

The Sony is a basic receiver and we have a better offer on the Pioneer VSX519 if you don't mind having both cables connected. It's £169.95 but a much better receiver for the extra £10.

The speaker package itself comes with speaker cable in the box. It's roughly 20m in total and it is pre-cut. If you wanted to improve on the cable, then 99p a metre would get you the Symphony 100 cable.

I hope this helps, but if you need anything else. Just SHOUT !!!

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Popo!

Thanks for the reply!

Ok I have looked at the Onkyo 507 and the Onkyo SHSHT528 5.1 and was wondering if they would work for XBOX 360 and PS3, Delivering 5.1 audio through HDMI?

Or if you have a better suggestion please feel free to share it!:D

Thanks in advance!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Popo! wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply!

Ok I have looked at the Onkyo 507 and the Onkyo SHSHT528 5.1 and was wondering if they would work for XBOX 360 and PS3, Delivering 5.1 audio through HDMI?

Or if you have a better suggestion please feel free to share it!:D

Thanks in advance!

Popo,

yep the 507 will taks 5.1 audio via HDMI no problem - however as Dave said the 519 probably sounds better (especially on Music..)

Keep us posted,

ATb,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for your help!

Ok so will the 519 be able to carry 5.1 audio from my PS3 or Xbox 360 through HDMI? Or will I have to have extra cables connected to recieve audio?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Popo! wrote: »
    Thanks for your help!

Ok so will the 519 be able to carry 5.1 audio from my PS3 or Xbox 360 through HDMI? Or will I have to have extra cables connected to recieve audio?

No the 519 needs an additional cable (ie either Phono/optical or Coax).

Keep us posted,

ATB,

John Mc & the motley crew (all in bad mood today & feeling cold)

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Sorry to hear about the cold!!

I have decided to go with the Onkyo 507 and the Onkyo SHSHT528 5.1 as connecting more cables really isn't convenient for me:)
    Although I was trying to pay by Maestro but wen I select type of card I only see MasterCard, American Express and VISA. Am I doing this wrong?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.