Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox360 dvd drive & Dashboard query

Options
  • 14-02-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Lads my original Ms-28 drive gave up the ghost so I am going to go onto ebay to buy another and load the original bin file onto it. Is ebay my best bet or is there places in Dublin that do them.
    Also on the off chance that it is the xbox360 console itself can all the new console drives be flashed. I have seen a lot of talk about Manufacture date June 08 or less and dashboard 2.0.7371.0 but is this more to do with being able to play homebrew or does it also mean the drive cannot be flashed

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah all that Kernel talk is purely homebrew related. As far as I know, most if not all drives can be flashed now. Lite-On's may need some soldering, but the lads here will advise on that.

Regards just dumping your original bin file onto a new drive, make sure your buying the exact same type of drive before you do that. You can also buy a different brand of drive to your original, then just spoof the firmware onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The easiest thing is a straight swap for a drive of the same type. If your circuit board isn't knackered then you can even swap that and then you don't need to flash anything to get it working with your console. If the PCB is faulty then you'll have to flash your key to the new MS28 drive. You shouldn't need to keep your flash dump from the original MS28 because I don't think any are sold without firmware, but keep it just in case.

As EnterNow said, you can pick up different drives and spoof them as your old MS28 drive, just like you'd do with the DVD Key above.

This is all assuming that your drive has in fact given up the ghost - what is wrong with it? Have you tried a new laser or adjusting the pots or is it the drive mechanisms that are gone?

All the talk of June '09 and dashboard 2.0.7371 or earlier is just for homebrew/JTAG because currently it is the only option to run unsigned XEX's - this has no bearing on your purchase of a new DVD drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 lpm

Cheers lads, appreciate the heads up. With regards to my drive I had just finished re-flashing it with the latest ixtreme and Jungleflash gave me the OK. Stuck the drive back into the console and started it up and get one flashing red ring(bottom right) and error 65 on the screen. All cables are good but the drive does not seem to be getting any power and will not open. Manually opened it with a paper clip and I had left the active iso disc in, but as far as I am aware this should not have been a problem. Either way drive is doing nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Use dosflash/firmtool...it just saves on headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

Hi lpm

I have a samsung Ms-28
    check out my Ad
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=187939&cat=fav

• Advertisement
Advertisement