Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you complain to about a haulting site mess

Options
  • 14-02-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Ok so i live around doughiska and there is a haulting site there which has been fine for the past 2 years but in the past month or so they seem to have moved into an opposite field and the place looks like a junk yard after only a month.

I dont know if they have been allocated this field or not but there was some construction going on and there are light posts in the field but there are big boulders at the entrance which have been moved.

There is a big pile of scrap metal and a burned out caravan.

Its seriously making the area look like a hole.

Who do you complain to about something like this?

Comments

The halting site was there long before most of the houses.

I guess Galway city council is where to start.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Meanwhile a countywide campaign has already started with wardens doing door to door checks in several towns and villages to ascertain how householders are disposing of their waste.
    See here..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055826669

Annoying old people on their own doorsteps, whilst what BrokenArrows describes is staring them in the face.

A joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Maybe ring somebody in the enviroment dept??

A guy I know was contacted by them before when the front of his house was unsightly; he was renovating the place at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

mikom wrote: »
    Meanwhile a countywide campaign has already started with wardens doing door to door checks in several towns and villages to ascertain how householders are disposing of their waste.

Annoying old people on their own doorsteps, whilst what BrokenArrows describes is staring them in the face.

A joke.

And not a funny one either, but we can't talk about that or we'll be accused of impinging on their culture, irregardless of how filthy, selfish and self-centered aspects of it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

A joke.

Different councils (county vs city), and a different problem. Both equally difficult/valid problems.

I walked past that halting site today. The wrecked caravan isn't flash. But overall there was less visible rubbish than I walked past in a "settled" estate in the same neighbourhood the other week. The estate's features included rubbish lined up in black bin bags, which some dogs had attacked. I know which of the two sites I found more disgusting.

I wonder if anyone's done any research about the environmental impacts of dumping rubbish by the roadside vs burning it in the fire.

Oh, and IBTL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

unJustMary wrote: »
    I walked past that halting site today. The wrecked caravan isn't flash. But overall there was less visible rubbish than I walked past in a "settled" estate in the same neighbourhood the other week. The estate's features included rubbish lined up in black bin bags, which some dogs had attacked. I know which of the two sites I found more disgusting.

But which one are you funding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭heviballs

The halting site was there long before most of the houses.

yeah and your point is?
    they have no respect for the countryside or themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

First thing I would suggest is to go up to the residents and ask them how to spell 'halting'! Secondly I would correct the spelling in your thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

unJustMary wrote: »
    Different councils (county vs city), and a different problem. Both equally difficult/valid problems.

I wonder if anyone's done any research about the environmental impacts of dumping rubbish by the roadside vs burning it in the fire.

Oh, and IBTL!

I smell a Councillor....:D

It's a complete mess in there and I think the best thing to do would be find out who owns the land, contact them and get them to deal with the Authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HowAreYeGettinO

Watch out lads. Any minute now, our quick-talking friend from Pavee Point will be arriving onto this thread telling us how this is just another example of the discrimination against travellers that has taken root in the settled community...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But which one are you funding?

Via rent allowance and tertiary education grants, I'd guess that the Irish taxpayer is making a substantial contribution to the folks in the estate.

Not sure how it'd work out per head if you tried to compare funding of the settled vs travelled communities.

But for the former, I'd need to factor in vastly higher spending on tertiary education and on life-time health care: folks from communities where, on average, people die at a relatively young age don't tend to need years of medical and nursing care towards the end of the lives.

(Yes that's a very general statement. No, I don't have references, though I'm sure they're available. And no, I don't plan to do the research. Perhaps some enterprising economics grad student looking for a PHd topic might be brave enough to take it on.)

And commenting on a later post: I agree, sometimes MOTC behave in ways that indicate that they have little self-respect. Probably comes from growing up knowing that most people in Irish society have very little respect for them, purely because of who they're related to.

I smell a Councillor....:D

That's not good, you should get your nose checked out there's a thread somewhere here recommending good GPs ...

:D right back at ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

First thing I would suggest is to go up to the residents and ask them how to spell 'halting'! Secondly I would correct the spelling in your thread title.

i know i must be a racest inconsiderate ****er because i spelt it wrong. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

i know i must be a racest inconsiderate ****er because i spelt it wrong. :(

No just not racest more of a racist...unless you hate people who race each other lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

C'est la vie in Damhach Uisce! You will need to get used to it or move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Ok so i live around doughiska and there is a haulting site there which has been fine for the past 2 years but in the past month or so they seem to have moved into an opposite field and the place looks like a junk yard after only a month.

I dont know if they have been allocated this field or not but there was some construction going on and there are light posts in the field but there are big boulders at the entrance which have been moved.

There is a big pile of scrap metal and a burned out caravan.

Its seriously making the area look like a hole.

Who do you complain to about something like this?

Okay, so back to the thread, The feild BESIDE St. Nicholas's halting site was squated on over the Christmas by... er... cousins of the Barrets (the residents of St. Nich's halting site). A court order was obtained to remove them. The guards acted on the court order (obtained by Galway city council) a few weeks after it was issued!!. They moved and left three caravans/mobile homes in their wake. The other rubbish dumped there was... well... from St. Nich's from what we can gather.

A fourth trailer has made an appearence this last fortnight.:confused:

The authority to contact is the litter warden in Galway city council. They've been made aware of it with pictures 'n all.

Advertisement