Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday; What do you have on your pancake?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Oooh I'm liking all the ideas!

I'm having Pancake Monday tonight as I will be out all evening tomorrow.

I'd usually just have lemon and sugar, might have one with honey and for dessert might have a bit of chocolate spread on my last :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Pembily wrote: »
    Aldi have it, can't remember the price but its not expensive!
    IMO the cheaper brands taste awful. My favourite brand of maple syrup is "Shady Maple Farms"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Firstly because it isn't sweet or nice sounding.
    Secondly because butter is already salted.

Why don't you like them sweet?
    I just don't like them sweet.

There is no reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Love pancakes! Smoked salmon, cream cheese and chive! Yum

Also a big fan of crispy bacon and maple syrup!

For sweet pancakes, I love greek yogurt and honey!

Hungry just thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I made pancakes last night cos I had some friends around.

My topping of the evening was vanilla icecream and crushed malteasers. Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GK_91

Sugar, lemon and jam! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

On 4th nutella crepe, if it was pancakes I could of only managed one.
    About to have a heart attack but other than that very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

My pancakes were a disaster :o
    I have made pancakes every year for the past 6 years, and I can't remember having this problem. The batter kept sticking to my pan, or breaking up. Maybe it's not thick enough.
    I have just read another posters recipe, but I never did them that way. Although it sounds great. So could anyone tell me what ingredients/methods you used, please?
    I failed pancake making :eek: :eek: :eek:

I love butter, sugar and lemon juice topping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The batter kept sticking to my pan, or breaking up. Maybe it's not thick enough.

Add oil or melted butter to the batter to prevent sticking. And leave in the fridge for 2 hrs after whisking to allow the flour to hydrate fully and thicken. You can also add grated lemon zest to the batter for extra "zing."

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Add oil or melted butter to the batter to prevent sticking. And leave in the fridge for 2 hrs after whisking to allow the flour to hydrate fully and thicken. You can also add grated lemon zest to the batter for extra "zing."

Thank you for your response Magic.Monkey. I would have tried that but I didn't have a real lemon, only the bottle of juice.

SUCCESS!!! I had already left the mixture in the fridge, so I had more flour to thicken it more. I also had the heat on too high, when I lowered it, the batter didn't stick and burn.
    I made five successful pancakes, 2 for me and 3 for my bf.
    I guess it just took practice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

kylith wrote: »
    I made pancakes last night cos I had some friends around.

My topping of the evening was vanilla icecream and crushed malteasers. Yum!
    Did you have the pankcakes hot or cold with the ice cream and malteasers?

Would love to try this, but not sure whether to have the pankcake shot or cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Mmm, pancakes. Made some last night and will be finishing off the eggs and milk tonight.

I just wonder how people eat them, not so much with the topping, but the method. I always roll them up and stuff them in my gob, but my gf had a mess of stuff on it so that wouldn't have worked. She first tried folding it up like a fajita, and then she resorted to cutting it up with a knife and fork which I found comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

corblimey wrote: »
    I just wonder how people eat them, not so much with the topping, but the method.

Depends on the pancake. Crepes get rolled, of course. The thick "American breakfast pancake" (far and away my favourite) really needs the knife and fork, particularly if you're going for the bacon as well. The medium thickness ones... well, I've been known to use them like slices of bread, and the toppings as fillings for what's effectively a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

gothwalk wrote: »
    Depends on the pancake. Crepes get rolled, of course. The thick "American breakfast pancake" (far and away my favourite) really needs the knife and fork, particularly if you're going for the bacon as well. The medium thickness ones... well, I've been known to use them like slices of bread, and the toppings as fillings for what's effectively a sandwich.

That's my fav too, and much quicker to make than fannying around with the crepe. I always use a knife and fork - don't really like eating messy food with my hands!

I have loads of batter left for tonight as well - YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thin crepes wrapped around stewed apple with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a dollop of vanilla ice cream....

[drools]

Didn't get them that way this year though cos I'm dependent on an office canteen for food at the moment and have no cooking facilities :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I'm normally not a big fan of ice cream, but at home in Sweden we usually put ice cream on our pancakes. Its really good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Maple syrup.
    Nutella.
    Butter, pepper.
    Butter, cinnamon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Blueberries and sugar, OMG they're good!

Advertisement