Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Related Rants

Options
  • 14-02-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

After finishing my mocks on Friday I decided that from now on I'm going to stop talking about how much study I'm doing or not doing. I'm not going to brag about how easy such a test was, or how screwed I am for this or how I haven't opened a book for that. Because it's all I've been hearing for the past two weeks and it's really getting on my nerves.

"I did more than six straight hours of study last night!" your facebook updates tell a different story.
    "God I didn't have a clue what to write for any of that" you were writing non stop for entire three hours!
    "Didn't know what to write for X, have we even done that?" Yes, we did it two months ago. And revised it last week.
    "Well that was quite easy, didn't you think it was alright?" No, I didn't because it was a horrible, nasty, evil paper.

I spent the last week resisting the urge to go around screaming "SHUT UP!" at everyone. I can't quite decide which are the most irritating though; the smug-claiming-to-be-doing-better-than-they-actually-are ones, the 'apathetic' ones who seem to like bragging about how little they know, or the sympathy-seekers who claim to be awful at everything so people will tell them how brilliant they really are.
    So, yeah...I have given my friends permission to slab me if I start turning into one of these types.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

i actually agree with what you said,
    i have many friends who do these things and i really hate it!
    but i admite that i also do it :o
    its a reaction to the exam.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I hate the people who say after every test that they did shít and then manage somehow (:rolleyes: ) to get A's everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

*hides*

I hate to admit it, but, on occasion - I can be "one of those people" :o
    I know guys.......I apologise profusely :P

Funny thing is, I completely agree with you and, I hate it when other people do it! lol :rolleyes:

After an exam though, I do tend to find myself saying "oh god! That was a disaster", even though, when the result come out - I haven't done half as bad as I thought.

I suppose it's just my way of coping with the whole exam scenario.
    Then, when the pessimistic droning does actually materialise some days - I can just keep telling myself "ah, sure it was a bad exam day"

lol

I'll try mending my ways - maybe you can help me!

x

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

I have about 10 friends for every type and whenever exam season comes around I hide. You should try it, just try and avoid them around exams and it is so much peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I finished my mocks on Friday and I can see what you mean, the same people always come out saying they failed and obviously are going to do amazing. There's always people saying they havn't studied when they have,etc. It get's annoying but I tend to try and avoid it because they get me pretty stressed and I really don't need that before an exam.

But don't worry Christina you're not alone there! I've often come out of an exam thinking I did a lot worse than I actually did. I usually keep it myself though because my friends would probably kill me if i kept going on about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I am every one of those types. :o
    I can't help it!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I hate people who pretend not to know whats going on when they're actually studying like crazy, as if you're gonna get bullied for studying:rolleyes:
    Girls in particular are guilty of this, they think lads will like them more if they think they're thick?:p(Not all girls, but its noticable in the ones I know, feckin fools:D)

PS Good luck with the mocks :)

Anybody used this one for a bit extra? www.mocks.ie ?

Not that i care about school, or anything:o

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

stainluss wrote: »
    Girls in particular are guilty of this, they think lads will like them more if they think they're thick?:p(Not all girls, but its noticable in the ones I know, feckin fools:D)

lol Yeah......
    Lads have been known to do it too though.......trouble is, most of the time; they don't need to pretend!!!!!! :P:P:P LOL

:D

Ah no, I know what you mean.
    Guys can be so easily intimidated by clever girls, so, we can sometimes tend to play it down a bit.
    The unfortunate part is though - some girls don't actually realise that they don't need to act dumb & end up making a complete show of themselves! :rolleyes:

When exams come around, there'll always be the odd group of lads/ladies saying "did absolutely no study last night, spent the night getting jarred in Paddy's" <
    They mean it.

Then, there's the girls hovering around those lads going "ah ye, me neither. I was going to go to Paddy's but I couldn't get a lift so I ended up just dossing" <
    Actually, she spent the night trying to cram the last few chapters of Physics in!

Then, there's the mixture of people who didn't do anything at all who just keep smiling & pretending everything will be grand and then, the people who've been swatting for months in advance but have still broken out in a worry rash & need to keep guzzling water.
    There are the quiet & serene looking ones too though. There needs to be more!!!!!!!!

Being perfectly honest, I'm the one in the corner with my friends who knows the work has been put in, but, is always pessimistic about the exam lol I'm the "what if" girl :D

"What if there's a major question on Tectonics?! I completely forgot to look over that" - (actually, I did look over it, but, not as much as I should have)
    or
    "What if I forget all of my Yeats quotes?! OMG! I've forgotten all of my Yeats quotes! SOMEBODY HELP ME!" lol! - (how could I forget them, I've been looking over them known stop for the last 5 weeks)

In a way though, that's the only way I know how to control my exam tension. If I wasn't venting my completely OTT anxieties, then, I'd probably end up crying lol I'm lucky enough to have friends that don't mind listening to me going on (plus, a few of them share my habit) :rolleyes:
    I do know when to stop though - I'm not as bad as some!!!

There was this girl last week carrying around a jar of Kalms in her hand! Didn't look as though they were helping either! lol!

Everyone deals with exam pressure differently I suppose, some people just can't keep it to themselves. I have become a lot better as the years have gone on though, my friends will vouch for that!

I'm aware of how irritating it is, and, I don't tend to vent around anyone other than those who are used to it. They know me so well!

x

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

oh god brilliant relevant thread.
    I have a friend that says they have done no study when we all know they have studied their hole off for ages, then after the exam they say it was impossible and they failed..... What happens when the test is given back to them in class, no fail, usually a B.
    It wreaks all our heads but there is no point telling him cause he will only hold the grudge until he dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I hate it when you come out of an exam and you have people rushing over to you : " How many pages did you write?" . This leads me to just saying around 5. The they are like " oh I got 7 " . Tbh I couldn't care less how many pages another person wrote because most likely its 7 pages of bs.

What also really annoys me is people saying " how much study did you do ?" . Why can't people get on with their own work and mind their own business?

Rant over lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm worried about it already...and I'm doing mine in 2011!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Evan93 wrote: »
    I hate it when you come out of an exam and you have people rushing over to you : " How many pages did you write?".
    Besides, some people cram twice as much actual writing as others into a page!
    jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm worried about it already...and I'm doing mine in 2011!!! :(
    Oh, go have a w ... w ... wispa bar! >_>

:P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oh, go have a w ... w ... wispa bar! >_>

:P :D
    *completely doesn't get it*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jumpguy wrote: »
    *completely doesn't get it*

That would be another reason ... >_>