Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking in the US

Options
  • 14-02-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I'm thinking of going on a J1 to America during the summer. I'll be 20 when I'm over there. I'll be going with 2 lads over 21. Are they strict on enforcing the age limit? And if the 2 lads are goin to a club or that would I be refused for being under 21? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,918 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youd probably have to find a real dive of a place not to be carded. Enforcement is pretty rigid, most especially in comparison to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yeah they are very stricty in the bars and clubs, usually they card anyone who looks under 30. Even when buying alcohol at a supermarket with your friends, they may refuse the whole group alcohol, just because you are with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Drinking age in all states of the USA is 21. Please don't encourage the OP to take any risks. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

A lot of the tills in shops in Texas are set up to not process an alcohol transaction without a date-of-birth. They ask everybody as they can't physically complete the sale without a date-of-birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

No chance OP... I know people in their 30's who have been carded. No bad thing either, what's the point in having a limit on something if it's not going to be enforced. Now, whether or not 21 is an appropriate age is an entirely different question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

+1 with everyone else.

Its strictly enforced, even buying beer in a shop.

They can drive a car at 16 but cant drink until 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A lot of the tills in shops in Texas are set up to not process an alcohol transaction without a date-of-birth. They ask everybody as they can't physically complete the sale without a date-of-birth.

And because everyone drives, everyone has a drivers licence so its the preferred form of ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yes, you get carded all the time. You'll have to wait til next year for much drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You will be allowed into most clubs though - they will stamp your hand as being under age though - not great when you are trying to chat up the ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Ya most clubs will let you in but you need to be 21 to get a wrist band so that you can buy alcohol. <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Interesting laws of this land? They can enlist in the military and die for their country at age 18, and also sign contracts, but cannot legally buy alcohol until 21.

Well, several posters have answered the OP's question, and seem to all be in agreement regarding enforcement of the drinking laws. I am closing this thread before some of us can get carried away (like me ;)), perhaps challenging the inconsistency of the spirit and intent of US laws? These inconsistencies could be a grand topic of discussion for a new thread in the US Politics forum?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement