Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flipping Unbelievable!

• 14-02-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Was out in town last night watching the Ireland v France game and while enjoying a bite to eat afterwards I get a call from my sister to come home to Dundrum, someone has just flipped the car over :eek:

Apparently a group of teenagers, boys and girls, were walking along and decided it'd be great craic to push over my mothers car which was parked in the road.

See attached pics.

Still can't believe it happened, what's the world coming to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭meercat

bstrds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

any chance the guards might be taking fingerprints ..there should be plenty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

That is just mean. I presume the whole side of the car is destroyed. A relatuvely big outlay to repair compared to the value of the car. Sorry that happened to your mum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Fúcks sake. What ever happened to just playing outside? Kids now a days have zero respect.

Hope the Guards are able to do something for your Mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

When I see stuff like this, it reinforces my belief in forced sterilisation in some cases with a lump hammer.

Sorry to see this, hope those responsible are caught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ahem, it is "flipping" unbelievable :p.

Did the Gardai come out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Really sorry to see that OP. You would simply loose your faith in mankind when you see crap like that happening. Did neighbours see anything per any chance? I would imagine you would not turn a car over on its side like that without making considerable noise. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't be inclined to expect too much from the Gardai. My elderly uncle was eating chips in his car one night in a quiet part of town and out of the blue a gang of hoodies started bouncing all over the car. Luckily he had the doors locked and the key in the ignition and managed to make a quick getaway but he got a fierce fright from it. He reported it to the Gardai but they didn't really want to know him. However, hope the culprits are caught in your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I am far from a violent person, but I would punch their ****ing heads in if I caught someone doing that.

that car means a lot to someone. Its a disgusting disregard for people.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Scum!!! SCUM Scum............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Absolutely disgraceful carry on, surely someone would have heard something and looked out??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

how do ye know it was teenagers did someone see

this country is going down the tubes tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Tails142 wrote: »
    Was out in town last night watching the Ireland v France game and while enjoying a bite to eat afterwards I get a call from my sister to come home to Dundrum, someone has just flipped the car over :eek:

Apparently a group of teenagers, boys and girls, were walking along and decided it'd be great craic to push over my mothers car which was parked in the road.

See attached pics.

Are ye sellin the exhaust backbox?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Was that in Rosemount by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Maybe she was parked on the footpath??

(I jest, sorry to hear about such random vandalism. Hope they're tracked down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Was that in Rosemount by any chance?

Why? Were you acting suspicious down there last night?? :D

I also wondered would someone ask about that new looking back box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The-Game wrote: »
    Why? Were you acting suspicious down there last night?? :D

I also wondered would someone ask about that new looking back box.
    Oh most definetly ;)

Nah just curious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Tails142 wrote: »

See attached pics.

dublin is full of knackers, thats what i guess. like someone getting attacked at their door step on ah...

should be a mass cull

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

This is awfull. What is the world comming to. Children & youths would never have done this years ago. How far is it going to go before were all too scared to leave our property or our cars. I blame it on the fact that most families (if theyre lucky) have two parents working. Years ago if one parent worked people lived OK and there was a solid home and example set for children when it came to morals and respect. Nowdays the young ones are left with childminders and then are being reared by parents who are so busy that they find it difficult to do anything other than keep the bills, feeding and washing going. When the mothers were in the homes and not out workingt he children had more guidance and were thought respect and boundaries and were more part of a community than they are now that poor parents dont have the time any more due to the preassures they are under financially
    Bring back mums at home and support them to raise our future generations to be decent upstanding citizens and not just wandering yobbos preying on everyone from lack of guidance dicipline and respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Ireland dublin is full of knackers, thats what i guess.

Fixed that for you...

Fixed that for you...

Just while you're fixing peoples posts, should your location be rip OFF republic instead of rip OF republic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Charisma wrote: »
    I blame it on the fact that most families (if theyre lucky) have two parents working. Years ago if one parent worked people lived OK and there was a solid home and example set for children when it came to morals and respect.
    Nay. Lack of respect is caused by a lack of fear. Years ago people lived in fear of getting a smack for being bold. Not so long ago, the threat of a smack kept most of them in line, although some ignored it, and were troublesome. There is no fear of such now, and they know that they can get away with pretty much anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thats tough.. i hope one of the gang 'rolls over' on the rest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

the_syco wrote: »
    Nay. Lack of respect is caused by a lack of fear. Years ago people lived in fear of getting a smack for being bold. Not so long ago, the threat of a smack kept most of them in line, although some ignored it, and were troublesome. There is no fear of such now, and they know that they can get away with pretty much anything.

Exactly! Nowadays, thanks to the influence of the Americanised softly-softly/touchy-feely mentality that's spread to most of the developed world since the late 80s, parent's today are afraid to discipline their children for fear of it being seen as abuse, or somehow emotionally damaging to the child! :rolleyes:

When I was growing up (and I'm in my 30s), you knew you'd be in serious trouble if you pushed it.. if a neighbour complained or gave you smack themselves, your mother wouldn't stand there defending her little angel - she'd give you the smack you deserved.. and the threat of "calling the Gards" was actually effective!

However, thanks to the above mindset, coupled with the new lazy parenting whereby people have kids they don't really want/have time for, and then expect the school/neighbours/TV/XBox (basically ANYONE except them!) to raise them, far too many kids these days have no respect for others, themselves or anyone's property, and it only gets worse as they get older.

Unfortunately the justice system (farcical though it is in this country) isn't set up to effectively deal with scum like this and that's why the problem is getting worse with every new generation :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I disagree completely with the notion that the problem is that these kids aren't being physically punished by their parents. It's a total cop out. "Things were perfect when I was a child, it's kids today that are the problem. Things need to go back to how they were."

If this really was the root of the problem, then every teenager today would be out causing trouble.

But they're not. As always, it's a few bad apples. They need to be taught respect, which is a world apart from only being taught to fear the consequences of their actions. In that case, they still have the inclination to trample over everybody else but only keep themselves in check out of fear. And the ultimate result? They'll cause just as much damage, they'll just make sure they're not going to get caught.

Learning to respect other people and their property for the simple reason that it is another human beings property is the only real way forward. And that lesson is taught in the home, through leading by example. Kaiser2000's reference to lazy parenting hit the nail on the head in that regard.

- OP, hopefully your mum isn't too upset over the whole situation, I imagine it is quite worrying to know the people who did that could be hanging out nearby.

I fully agree, its not the kids fault or their parents lack of skills at raising children to show respect for other people and their property.
    I blame the car manufacturers for making cars lighter nowadays.
    Try turning a 1970's saloon car over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Toe Rags!

As someone said above, this is lump hammer meet kneecap material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Andrew33 wrote: »

I was just wondering what would happen if the car had fallen back down on a couple of them, besides giving me a good laugh. You'd probably have their parents sueing the owner of the car for damages. Wouldn't fcuking surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I fully agree, its not the kids fault or their parents lack of skills at raising children to show respect for other people and their property.

Cars are heavier now than back then actually.

enda1 wrote: »
    Cars are heavier now than back then actually.

Pedantics rule!

My post was a JOKE!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

EnterNow wrote: »
    Toe Rags!

As someone said above, this is lump hammer meet kneecap material.

exactly but the law so arseways in this country ya would be looking at life if ya went near them

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well I was going to post here to give out that some local hooligans had cracked the rear tail light of my wife's car, but you win. :(

Any nearby shops that might have CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Absolute scumbags!

You'd pay good money to get your hands on one/all of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

aflib wrote: »
    exactly but the law so arseways in this country ya would be looking at life if ya went near them

Wouldnt deter me in the slightest. Id have no problem leaving one of these tramps in hospital, and hold my hands up if I got in trouble for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah the exhaust was only put on last week! :D

The car drove fine after we righted it - damage wasnt too severe; front wing crumpled, side mirror gone, driver window smashed, and rash all along the side from the tarmac but didnt seem to be too badly dented. Really deep scrapes up on the B-Pillar though.

The Gardai took it straight away on a tow truck to take finger prints off it - not sure whether its worth it though cause you don't want the feckers coming back for revenge and doing in all your windows or something.

Just a complete PITA for a saturday night, happened at like 8.30pm too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Well this has gone from bad to f*ckin worse :mad::mad: I'm absolutely fuming.

I called Axa to get the drivers side window fixed under the insurance and they said that because of the policy we had that not only would they fix the window they would repair the scratches on the car and it wouldnt affect our no claims bonus.

So they came and picked it up and took it away. Get a call today to say that the assessor has deemed it a Category C writeoff and that they wont repair but will offer us €1000 for it.

No thanks I says, just fix the window and we'll have the car back. They refuse to fix the window, they say the car is now deemed unroadworthy and that it is to be scrapped.

Needless to say I'm f****n outraged. Called my local mechanic and he said he'd fit a second hand window and wing mirror for €200. Economic write off my ass.

I'm going to go through them in the morning and demand that they return the car to my house, fix the window as per my insurance and then they can f*ck off.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Absolutely ridiculous. Good luck getting it sorted - these insurances companies are all too willing taking money off you, but when they have to take some out their own wallets...

Advertisement