Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Noclight: trowelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

Jako8 wrote: »
    If you could remove ONE country from existence which one would it be and why?

Hmmm I don't think there is one. Although the French ain't exactly my fave these days :p

1) what did ireland do wrong on saturday against franch and can it be rectified before we go to twikenham?

I'm not as up on the rugby as I used to be so I'm not totally sure what happened but I'm sure it can all be sorted before twickenham

2) whats the best innuendo based joke (huh huh "in your endo") that you have mae that you are most proud of?

Oh god I honestly can't remember. The problem with me is I don't retain any info so I never remember what crap I have come out with. The innuendo just sorta flows out of my mouth a little too easy but then it's gone from my head

3) if you could have a time machine where and when would you go back to? and would you change anything from the past?

Well I'm obsessed with the medieval period, primarily the later medieval period. I would love to go back and live in Medieval Dublin. Although I would like to go back to the early medieval period, to one of the monasteries, because I am also obsessed with Round Towers. I wanna know exactly what they were used for. Were they purely clock towers and why they are an Irish phenemenon?

No I wouldn't change anything from the past (in terms of history of the world). You don't wanna be messing with that kind of thing:)

4) any boardsie you would like to meet but still havent?

Randy

5) steak....burnt to a crisp or bloody as hell?

Medium rare is how I eat mine

You mentioned Jim Morrison.

Would you agree that a) he's awesome and b) his voice is awesome?

What's your favourite Doors song?

Yep, I'm a massive Doors fan.

Jim Morrison is totally awesome, he's a legend. He had a fantastic voice.

*Sigh* wish I'd been able to see him sing live.

As for my fave Doors song. Tis impossible to say. I love Roadhouse blues, LA Woman, Peace Frog, the End. I love their version of Backdoor Man

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What would you most like to stumble across on a dig?

Opinions on the Skryne Valley outcome?

Favorite site you have visited (here or abroad) and why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

trowelled wrote: »
    We use a WHS 4.5 inch trowel for day to day trowelling. For smaller intricate things like stakeholes we use leaf trowels
    YEA! WHS! did you spend as long as i did trying to find one of those little buggers?!
    Hmmm, no no I'm not or am I??
    :eek: . . . :D

:pac:
    Oh Squirl, does a mini cactus count as a weird present?
    totally. especially if its from someone who likes you. :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

will SmileyPaul (aka me :P) ever get his poper account back?

*picks up trowelled and shakes like an 8 ball*
    and.... describe your favourite pair of socks!

• Advertisement

This needs my full attention so I will have to coma back to it and answer it during my break.

YEA! WHS! did you spend as long as i did trying to find one of those little buggers?!

No, thankfully the dept told us exactly where we would get one. It was in some hardware store on Capel St. They had them in stock when I went in. I bought my first one when we did our field school at the start of third year which was back in 2004. It stayed with me until it went "missing" on a site I worked on in Cavan. I was very sad that day. It went "missing" on a site I worked on in Tipp too. I bought a second one then. But my friend managed to retrieve it form the person who stole it. These trowels frequently went "missing" on sites cos there were many people who wouldn't cough up the money to buy one of their own and would just have cheap gardening trowels and that.

totally. especially if its from someone who likes you. :P:pac:

Well at least I can be thankful it was just from a female friend so.:)
    Paul mcy d wrote: »

will SmileyPaul (aka me :P) ever get his poper account back?

23rd Feb is coming to mind. Yep that's when it will happen

*picks up trowelled and shakes like an 8 ball*
    and.... describe your favourite pair of socks!

I no longer have them. They were white and blue with fishes on them. The little fish had those plastic eyes on them. These days I'm boring and just buy countless pairs of black socks

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

1) In a battle royale of the fruit world, what fruit would you bet on and why??:p

2) Ever see something in a movie that made you think, 'that would never happen on a dig'??

3) If you could be a planeteer, which power would you have??

4) Favourite soup??

5) Aren't you sooo happy I've the interweb back in work??:P:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Some gold, lol! Something like the little boat from the Broighter hoard would be amazing. I love that little boat.

But apart form treasure I would love to be involved in a proper urban excavation and enearth some burgage plots. I'd be very excited to measure a plot and for it to be 16.5 feet.

In an unrealistic world there would be no roads built, all archaeology would be perfectly preserved for all to go and see (on foot obviously). The road was needed and so I think the best route was chosen. It was near impossible to pick a route where archaeology wasn't going to be affected. truth is, if the road wasn't going to be built we may never have uncovered the many sites that have been discovered prior to construction of the road. Surely that is a good thing! The sites have been preserved by record. They might not still be there physically but at least we now know they exist. The many finds may never have been unearthed either.

I'd hate to have worked on the M3 excavations. I purposely stayed away from it. Not a nice place to have worked from what I heard. Thing that bothers me is that these protestors attack the archaeologists for chosing to work on such an excavation, "you should be ashamed, you being an archaeologist, blah blah blah". They don't seem to realise that archaeological excavation is a destructive process. This is what happens. We excavate a site, either partially or fully, in order to record the site. Some of the sites that were unearthed wouldn't really look like anything if they were left there and could just fade away.

While I was in Italy I went ot visit Pompeii. Tis a pretty impressive place. My friends insisted on getting those stupid audio guide things. I listened to it for about 5 mins and shut it off. I much prefer to wander round these places by myself and view my own opinion.

Although, I would probably have to say that Cashel is my favourite site. There's something about it that just take my breath away. The views from the rock are stunning. I'm dying to take another trip back down. It's lovely to just wander around the site and get lost in the experience of it. The architecture is amazing. I just love the place. I love all things medieval

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

1) how was your love day last sunday?

2) Have you ever taken part in a protest/campaign? in person or otherwise it doesnt matter

3) Explain why you think archaeology is better than palaeontology? (and watch galvas head explode)

4) Who is your idol (if you have one) and why?

5) one thing you would grab if your house was on fire?

6) settle the bet....DO you have a soul? :pac:

7) If you could mod any forum on boards what would it be?

koth wrote: »

1) In a battle royale of the fruit world, what fruit would you bet on and why??:p

A peach, mmm juicy. Although it would probably get squished. I'd say an apple would win out. It wouold squish all the other fruit and it could spit it's pips out at the other fruit. A little projectile seed spewing fruit, that's the apple

2) Ever see something in a movie that made you think, 'that would never happen on a dig'??

I'm sure there's been lots but I can't think off hand. If it comes back to me I'll let you know

3) If you could be a planeteer, which power would you have??

I'd be Wheeler with the power of fire

4) Favourite soup??

Probably a good homemade mushroom soup. Although sometimes you can't beat a hearty homemade veg soup. It always has to be homemade. I hate packet soup

5) Aren't you sooo happy I've the interweb back in work??:P:pac:

I'm super excited about that. I can't wait for more questions :p

• Advertisement

1) What do you put on your pancakes??

2) any idea what the hell a shrove is??

3) can you swim??

4) Will you be taking part in Thumbprint Wednesday?? :P

1) how was your love day last sunday?

I spent it at a wedding fair. It's the same as every other day to me

2) Have you ever taken part in a protest/campaign? in person or otherwise it doesnt matter

I did a few years abck with a friend of mine. Couldn't tell you what we were protesting against though. I just went along with her

3) Explain why you think archaeology is better than palaeontology? (and watch galvas head explode)

Cos who cares about oversized lizards. It's far nore interesting to study humans and what they have left behind

4) Who is your idol (if you have one) and why?

Don't really have an idol as such. I don't hold anyone on a pedestal. Yes there are musicians I admire, like Jim Morrison or Bruce Springsteen. But they're just ordinary people

5) one thing you would grab if your house was on fire?

the Todd.

6) settle the bet....DO you have a soul? :pac:

Nope

7) If you could mod any forum on boards what would it be?

Too much hassle :pac: Nah maybe the archaeology one but I dunno. think Grimes does a good enough job there

1) What do you put on your pancakes??

On pancake Tues I always put butter, sugar and lemon on them. I also love them with maple syrup and bacon

2) any idea what the hell a shrove is??

Something to do with penance

3) can you swim??

A little. I can't swim any great distance though so if I went overboard I'd probably drown.

4) Will you be taking part in Thumbprint Wednesday?? :P

LMAO. Oh brilliant. Nah can't remember the last time I had a thumbprint on my forehead

Ok I've been thinking about Dord's question as to what my fave song is. While I might not have a fave song per se, there are a couple of songs that I do tend to go back to a lot;

Counting Crows - Anna Begins
    Bell X1 - Eve, the apple of my eye
    Matchbox 20 - Push
    Bruce - Atlantic City
    the Doors - LA Woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Who's your favourite person on Time Team?

Why?

Who's your favourite person on Time Team?

Why?

Archaeologically wise it would be Mick Aston. He was a guest lecturer when I did the MA and he was pretty cool.

But I do love Tony Robinson. Who doesn't love Baldrick.

I can never forgive Phil for those shorts. No, just no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

What was the first console you ever played?

What/who got you onto boards?

What was the weirdest dream you ever had?

Who inspires you?

gamblitis wrote: »

What was the first console you ever played?

The first console I ever played was the Comodore 64. It belonged to my older sister. We had hours of endless fun playing paperboy, Flimbos quest and that circus game. The circus game was the best. Getting to guy to dive into an ever shrinking bucket. The first console I owned though was the Sega Mastersystem. I was sooo happy when I completed Sonic

That is a very long story. Basically, I was out with my 2 (now ex) best firends. We haapened upon a lrge group of people. They told us they were from the internet :eek::p We followed them on to the next pub. I went to a beers the following week and then joined the next day

What was the weirdest dream you ever had?

I tend to only ever have weird dreams and then can never remember them. Though I do have a recurring dream. It involves me and my family being chased by dinosaurs and each time, nearing the end of the dream, we have to jump off a cliff edge onto a ship to be saved. Tis one of the reasons I hate dinosaurs. I blame Jurrasic Park for those dreams.

There was another one which started off as me being chased by a JCB and then I ended up on what was like a giant chess board. There were cherries randomly placed on the different squares. I had to get all the cherries before I could move on to the next level (being chased by the digger was still sort of in memory in that level so I had to be quick)

Who inspires you?

I can be inspired by anyone in everyday life. I'm like a sponge in life and somewhat of a floater. I can be inspired or influenced by anyone at any given moment. Don't know if that nakes sense.

That is a very long story. Basically, I was out with my 2 (now ex) best firends. We haapened upon a lrge group of people. They told us they were from the internet :eek::p We followed them on to the next pub. I went to a beers the following week and then joined the next day
    1) Do you normally go wandering off with people from the interweb??:p

2) Ever broken any bones??

3) Any phobias??

1) Do you normally go wandering off with people from the interweb??:p

Yep it all started off very innocently when I was 6 years old. This guy gave me a packet of sweets. But once those sweets were gone I kicked him in the shins and ran. However, I still wander off aimlessly to this day*

2) Ever broken any bones??

Nope not one. Only ever sprained my ankle. though it was a pretty bad sprain

3) Any phobias??

I have one or two alright.

I'm terrified of falling down a manhole so I avoid walking over them at all costs. If I'm forced to walk on one I have a mini panic attack. I also get panicked if I get caught up in a crowd. I also hate Daddy longlegs and moths. I get freaked out if they fly at me.

Not sure if this is a phobia, as such, but certain noises can make my skin crawl. If I'm watching telly and there's a phone ringing on the show and no sign of person answering it I feel very uncomfortable and in my head I'm screaming "PICK IT UP. PICK IT UP". Same goes for an alarm clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That was a very messy, drunk night. All organised in about two hours too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

how do you eat yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Who killed Archie Mitchell? :P

TV show you wish wasn't finished/cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Drunkest you have ever been?

Longest you have stayed awake for

Ever queued for really long for something?

Favourite fast food?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

[QUOTE=trowelled;64508154I tend to only ever have weird dreams and then can never remember them. Though I do have a recurring dream. It involves me and my family being chased by dinosaurs and each time, nearing the end of the dream, we have to jump off a cliff edge onto a ship to be saved. Tis one of the reasons I hate dinosaurs. I blame Jurrasic Park for those dreams.
    [/QUOTE]

I suppose there isnt much point in me asking mys tock "favourite dinosaur" question to you is there?

Has the discovery of ginger dinosaurs helped ease your pain?

re: SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you claim not to have one based ona lack of belief in souls in general or simply that gingers do not havethem?

how do you eat yours?

I bite off the top. Then I scoop out the creme with my finger and eat it. Then I eat the chocolate
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Who killed Archie Mitchell? :P

Ben :D
    TV show you wish wasn't finished/cancelled?

Veronica Mars maybe. Although I do miss Buffy

Pter wrote: »

Probably my recent visit to London. I couldn't possibly admit to my shenanigans on this :o

Longest you have stayed awake for

It was probably when I was coming home from San Francisco. I stayed awake for 26 hours or something. Although I do have a feeling I went for 48hrs on a party session once but my memory on that is a little hazy. Think it was my sister's 21st

Ever queued for really long for something?

Yeah years back me, my sister and my cousin queued outside the RDS from 8am that morn so that we could get up the front to see the Backstreet Boys

Favourite fast food?

Probably a chipper. I love a good battered sausage

Galvasean wrote: »

I suppose there isnt much point in me asking mys tock "favourite dinosaur" question to you is there?

No not really. I hate them all equally

Has the discovery of ginger dinosaurs helped ease your pain?

Just proves we had no souls back then either. Guess that's where it all began

re: SOULS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you claim not to have one based ona lack of belief in souls in general or simply that gingers do not havethem?

We just don't have one. They're seless things anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Probably my recent visit to London. I couldn't possibly admit to my shenanigans on this :o

1) will you live up to your threat to the policeman and never return to london or will you go back at some stage?! ;)
    Favourite fast food?

Probably a chipper. I love a good battered sausage

2) did you really phrase this in this way as a ser up for randy?

3) Best music fgig you have ever been to?

4) going to any gigs this year?

5) favourite comedian?

6) do you hate anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Added on to Grames' question:

Why do you hate baldies

Why do you hate LZ

• Advertisement

1) will you live up to your threat to the policeman and never return to london or will you go back at some stage?! ;)

That was a moment of madness

2) did you really phrase this in this way as a ser up for randy?

I can't help that I have a love for sausage :D

3) Best music fgig you have ever been to?

Bruce Springsteen with the E Street band a couple years ago

4) going to any gigs this year?

I am indeed. Off to Pearl Jam in June

5) favourite comedian?

Probably Dylan Moran. Though I'm not really up on my comedians

6) do you hate anyone?

Hate is such a strong word. But there are one or two people who rub me up the wrong way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement