Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KFC in Athlone

Options
  • 14-02-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

Howdy.

Myself and a few mates are making a trip from Galway to Athlone tomorrow to gorge ourselves on some KFC. (Something we don't get in Galway and have been craving for ages. :p)

Need help on directions though, as the internets is being extremely vague on the exact location.

Does anyone have step by step directions to find it?

Thanks.

-RHG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Take the second exit off by-pass motorway, turn right for town center at the end of the exit.
    Go straight through several junctions (1/2 mile) big and small until your driving past a large Dunnes Stores on your right.
    Left at next roundabout, straight at next roundabout (tesco on right) and right at the last roundabout. KFC on the right after last right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I'm from Athlone and I'd even struggle to follow those directions.

Stay on the motorway until exit eight and follow the signs for Athlone, heading back into town from there on the old Dublin Road. Keep heading straight and maybe five minutes in you'll see KFC on your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

time lord wrote: »
    Take the second exit off by-pass motorway, turn right for town center at the end of the exit.
    Go straight through several junctions (1/2 mile) big and small until your driving past a large Dunnes Stores on your right.
    Left at next roundabout, straight at next roundabout (tesco on right) and right at the last roundabout. KFC on the right after last right.

Excellent. Thank you kindly.

Is that called the Dublin Road? I'm following your instructions on google maps and I think that's where I'm ending up.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Stay on the motorway until exit eight and follow the signs for Athlone, heading back into town from there on the old Dublin Road. Keep heading straight and maybe five minutes in you'll see KFC on your left.

Aha... That sounds a lot easier. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

• Advertisement

You're better off following whyulittle's directions that map shows the slow route through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Your better off getting lost and missing out as it is a filthy hole of a place.

Thanks Soupy, that's incredibly helpful.
    Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Your better off getting lost and missing out as it is a filthy hole of a place.

Regardless, I have made up my mind, and it is for KFC. Been wanting it since September. Whether it's dirt or not, it will still be worth the drive.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I was rather shítting bricks at the prospect of driving aimlessly around Athlone, hoping I'd just stumble across the place.

-RHG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hope you like food poisening....that place is mank......

Hopefully (if he's still alive :pac:) he'll reply. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Why dont you go to KFC in Roscommon. A lot easier to get to and definitely a lot warmer and cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Ah its not too bad. Was terrible when it first opened, but its not so bad now. An auld tower zinger burger.....beaut! but the chips are just terrible, not just Athlone, but in KFC in general.

Might follow suit and go on a road trip to an Eddie Rockets over the weekend.

Ladies and gents...

That was quite possibly one of the most awesome experiences of my life. Flew down the motorway so was outside KFC in 50 minutes.

Place was quiet, clean, and the staff were dead on sound. Food was righteous... Got the Boneless Banquet for 8 squids and from the moment I looked at the food, I knew... that this would be epic.

Totally worth the 90 kilometre drive... My four friends were so impressed that we've planned another trip next month.

Thank you boards.ie, and thank you Colonel Saunders!

150220101399.jpg

Glad you liked it, Athlone isn't that bad at the end of the day! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Flew down the motorway so was outside KFC in 50 minutes.

And I'd say it flew out of you in 50 seconds. :eek:

Oh, I'll be back... No shadow of a doubt.
    Saint_Mel wrote:
    And I'd say it flew out of you in 50 seconds.:eek:

Well, I suppose that's best left to the imagination. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Place was quiet, clean, and the staff were dead on sound. Food was righteous... Got the Boneless Banquet for 8 squids and from the moment I looked at the food, I knew... that this would be epic.

That's your definition of gorging? Fair enough.

amacachi wrote: »
    That's your definition of gorging? Fair enough.

Baby steps my friend, baby steps.

Plenty of time for me to eat so much that I slip into a food coma. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

next time - If you decide to come down for a feed of drink..call me

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

KFC is Athlone's premier tourist attraction (:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

it was quiet for a reason mate......

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

ah its not that bad. ive been a few times. poor location but the drive thru is whats prob keeping it going. dont know how it stays open id say the overheads are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

have eaten in a lot of kfc's. food was great in oz, and manky in the u.s but athlone is one of the worst ive ever eaten in. last straw was when i went in and there was no chicken. poor girl at counter was asking staff to cook some and they were roaring back at her in another language. have never seen an employee treated so badly. i was raging. still wish id had the balls to call on the manager (who was one of the ones roaring at her) and giving them a piece of my mind.) havent gone back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

I cant believe this thread is for real. You actually drove from Galway to Athlone for a scabby KFC chicken burger? My God you need to either get more interests or just get laid....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

wetminger wrote: »
    I cant believe this thread is for real. You actually drove from Galway to Athlone for a scabby KFC chicken burger? My God you need to either get more interests or just get laid....................

Leave the poor fella alone, jesus only knows plenty of Athlone people drive to Galway to get pissed on scabby pints of ****e they could get in any pub at home. Not exactly the same thing I know, but the same principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Athlone is great spot, I've had such brilliant nights out there.

KFC in Athlone is ok. Food always seemed fine anytime I went and the place was clean.

Incidentally, a KFC is opening in Galway next month so Athlone will lose out on KFC tourists from the Galway region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Howdy.

Myself and a few mates are making a trip from Galway to Athlone tomorrow to gorge ourselves on some KFC. (Something we don't get in Galway and have been craving for ages. :p)

Need help on directions though, as the internets is being extremely vague on the exact location.

Does anyone have step by step directions to find it?

Thanks.

-RHG

There's a kfc opening in briarhill at the end of April, should save ye a few quids on petrol in future lol

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Elevator wrote: »
    There's a kfc opening in briarhill at the end of April, should save ye a few quids on petrol in future lol

VERY VERY VERY VERY SAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

yessam wrote: »
    VERY VERY VERY VERY SAD

Huh???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

have eaten in a lot of kfc's. food was great in oz, and manky in the u.s but athlone is one of the worst ive ever eaten in. last straw was when i went in and there was no chicken. poor girl at counter was asking staff to cook some and they were roaring back at her in another language. have never seen an employee treated so badly. i was raging. still wish id had the balls to call on the manager (who was one of the ones roaring at her) and giving them a piece of my mind.) havent gone back since.

The Athlone branch really really sucks balls.. very ignorant staff, the pakistanis that work there can be exceptionaly rude.. well one of the guys on the drive through was to us of an evening, havent returned since.

Advertisement