Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a fish tank into a wall?

• 14-02-2010 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,has anyone here got a large fish tank (around 5 feet long by 2 feet high and deep ) built into a wall in their home.

Or does anyone have experience in doing such a thing?

Me and my girlfriend are looking into geting a large tank built into the stone wall that divides our living room and our new kitchen extension area.Idealy the tank would sit into the wall flush on the living room side and we would access the tank itself and the filters on the kitchen side.

I quite like the idea of a large fish tank with tropical fish at its very relaxing to look at in the evening,after a long hard day,and would make a great addition to both living room and also our new kitchen area.

Any ideas or tips on building it in to the wall or building a support base???

Many thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

check out www.reefcentral.com for loads of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Are you putting a large shop bought tank in or getting one made? If the wall is loadbearing you will need lintels to carry the blockwork & stone and floor or ceiling over it, if not it is easier to frame it out in studwork above the tank. If you build a level platfrom in blockwork from the ground it will be strong enough to support the tank. Make sure you can reach or get into the tank for cleaning. I did one in a shop about 3m x 1.8m several years ago and the owner has to climb into the tank once a month to clean it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its a large shop bought tank,a builder friend of mine has done this on another house build recently,so he says not a problem to do it for me.

Thanks for the advice folks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 PatcyMcl

Just make sure your air machine has fresh air so the motor doesn't over heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Look up boards poster jollyman he has a blog of his build including a built in wall fish tank

Advertisement