Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to play Algeria and Paraguay in the RDS

• 14-02-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

The Football Association of Ireland today (Feb 14) confirmed that its senior men’s international team will play two friendly matches against Paraguay and Algeria on May 25 and May 28 respectively.
    The games will take place in the RDS and will be the last home internationals to be played before the FAI moves into its new Aviva Stadium, where the first international match will be played on August 11 against Argentina.

Ticket details and further information on preparation for the games will be announced after the Republic of Ireland’s away match against Brazil in Emirates Stadium on March 2.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100683:ireland-to-face-paraguay-and-algeria&catid=1:senior-men&Itemid=8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I like the RDS as a venue. I've been there for a couple of Pat's games.

I'll probably mosey on down there for those ones.

Rather the RDS than Craven Cottage!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

wtf!

What is the capacity ?

Paraguay are a top team.

If memory serves they finished runners-up to Brazil in qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

redout wrote: »
    wtf!

What is the capacity ?

Raekwon wrote: »

Is that standing because if it is only a friendly then standing is allowed or did they stop that ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

wtf!

What is the capacity ?

What would you prefer?

A game in England somewhere, matches in the arsehole of munster in a ground that they couldn't fill for a previous friendly, or for the FAI to get ass-raped by the gah again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did the bold united men give their lives so that Ireland could play a fixture in a venue that contains the name Royal? :mad:

Des wrote: »
    What would you prefer?

I reckon it would have been better to have put them on outside Dublin to give fans a chance instead of having to travel to Dublin.

I reckon it would have been better to have put them on outside Dublin to give fans a chance instead of having to travel to Dublin.

Like the oversubscribed friendly against South Africa?

stovelid wrote: »
    Like the oversubscribed friendly against South Africa?

They could try somewhere other than Thomand dont you think ?

You're lost if you think even Dublin would get a big crowd for these games.

• Advertisement

You're lost if you think even Dublin would get a big crowd for these games.

I'm not against having the friendlies outside Dublin, but did they even fill Thomond for that? I was being sarcastic with the oversubscribed crack. Limerick has what, 90k population and has a decent catchment area of places like Clare and Galway and if they can't fill Thomond for the World Cup hosts...

Perhaps they should have costed that friendly a bit better for families though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Name a ground suitable, that would be available.

Remember, the regional gah grounds wouldn't be available due to Rule 42, which was only changed specifically for the instance of Croke Park.

Let's see.

Oh, nowhere.

What is wrong with the Brandywell, Finn Park, Turners cross ?

If standing is still allowed for friendlies then why not ?

It won't be standing at the RDS, i'm sure. They'll put in the temporary seating like they do for the Europa League games!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Des wrote: »
    the arsehole of munster in a ground that they couldn't fill for a previous friendly,
    'the arsehole of munster'. YAWN. Anyways if you'd bother to read in to the reasons for that you would have known that it was an exorbitant ticket pricing policy that detracted locals from coming out and supporting it. Rip off ticket prices for a game against a team like Australia isn't going to sweep up the masses. They dropped prices for the second game against South Africa in an effort to increase the numbers attending.

Aidric wrote: »
    'the arsehole of munster'. YAWN. Anyways if you'd bother to read in to the reasons for that you would have known that it was an exorbitant ticket pricing policy that detracted locals from coming out and supporting it. Rip off ticket prices for a game against a team like Australia isn't going to sweep up the masses. They dropped prices for the second game against South Africa in an effort to increase the numbers attending.

YAWN away there friend, but the crowds didn't turn up, simple as. Never again should the Republic play down there. Dublin is the stronghold, it gets the crowds and the cultchies up for their holidays. Money talks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

1st one has a capacity of 8,200 2nd one has 7,500 and the 3rd one has 7,485. RDS is up to UEFA standard and has double capacity of the all of them and I'm pretty sure Turners Cross is the only one of those 3 that is up to UEFA standard for international football competitive or otherwise and even then the capacity is nowhere near big enough for a full international regardless of who were playing as there'll be an attendence of 12-15k at these matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Paraguay will be good. wonder what the prices will be like

It is not about capacity. (although for the FAI cnuts it is)

It is about giving fans in other parts of the country a chance to see the team.

I reckon it is the perfect opportunity to do it.

Turners cross would be a good start.

It is not about capacity. (although for the FAI cnuts it is)

It is about giving fans in other parts of the country a chance to see the team.

I reckon it is the perfect opportunity to do it.

Turners cross would be a good start.

They played two matches in Limerick and sold f**k all tickets. The FAI aren't going to take that chance again because they'd be stung again use they won't bring the big teams down there due to capacity and the only teams they would bring down probably aren't glamarous enough for most people:rolleyes: and therefore they probably wouldn't bother there arse and before anybody says about ticket prices I know a fair number of people who went to the two games in Limerick and they had to factor in hotel and train prices as well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭xabi

Na, your grand, you can keep them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Finn Park can barely host LOI Matches ffs.
    Brandywell is a bloody kip and in another country.

Tallaght, Turner's Cross, The Flansiro, Tolka and Dalymount are the best grounds in the country.

Pick from the above if you wanna bring it outside the usual, but I've no problem with the RDS.

And people still didn't bother there hole going obviously the World Cup hosts weren't glamorous enough for them :rolleyes:

They played two matches in Limerick and sold f**k all tickets. The FAI aren't going to take that chance again because they'd be stung again use they won't bring the big teams down there due to capacity and the only teams they would bring down probably aren't glamarous enough for most people:rolleyes: and therefore they probably wouldn't bother there arse and before anybody says about ticket prices I know a fair number of people who went to the two games in Limerick and they had to factor in hotel and train prices as well .

Dismissing the prices shows you are ignoring what happened.

If it had nothing to do with prices then why did the FAI offer Italy tickets for persons who bought SA tickets ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Did the bold united men give their lives so that Ireland could play a fixture in a venue that contains the name Royal? :mad:

I believe the official title of Lansdowne Road also has the word Royal in it so the brave men of 1916 have been forsaken since about 1900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Finn Park can barely host LOI Matches ffs.
    Brandywell is a bloody kip and in another country.

Tallaght, Turner's Cross, The Flansiro, Tolka and Dalymount are the best grounds in the country.

Pick from the above if you wanna bring it outside the usual, but I've no problem with the RDS.

Finn Park: only has a couple of hundred seats.
    Brandywell: pay VAT to her majesty, I don't think so.
    Tallaght: maybe next year when the capacity is around 14,000.
    Turners Cross: less than 4000 turned up for a recent competitive under 21 International.
    Flansiro: no comment.
    Tolka: capacity now is somewhere around 5000.
    Dalymount: same as Tolka.

RDS is the proper venue for these and both games should sell out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

and if they can't fill Thomond for the World Cup hosts...
    What? Anyone could host the World Cup. That's no indication of the strength of the opposition.

They're ranked 81st in the world. I'm in Galway and I had no intention of going to see them play against them. I would have gone if it was someone decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is the grass down in Aviva yet?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

What? Anyone could host the World Cup. That's no indication of the strength of the opposition.

They're ranked 81st in the world. I'm in Galway and I had no intention of going to see them play against them. I would have gone if it was someone decent.

You're grand, you're not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Dismissing the prices shows you are ignoring what happened.

If it had nothing to do with prices then why did the FAI offer Italy tickets for persons who bought SA tickets ?

what about the pricing? was it to expensive for the folk in limerick? coz i got news for you the FAI arent dropping the prices to fill a small stadium in the country when they can keep the same prices and fill a bigger stadium in Dublin.

I doubt Paraquay and Algeria will be much more of a hot ticket?

And people still didn't bother there hole going obviously the World Cup hosts weren't glamorous enough for them :rolleyes:

Point proven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Friendlies against Serbia, Poland etc have been in Croke Park and have had fairly sizeable attendances. These tickets were also exorbitant but people still turned out in numbers. This is despite almost all of Ireland's games being in Dublin, whereas surely in Munster there would have been a novelty factor? Many had to buy double tickets (i.e. Brazil tickets doubled up with Serbia tickets) but they were good crowds nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Finn Park: only has a couple of hundred seats.
    Brandywell: pay VAT to her majesty, I don't think so.
    Tallaght: maybe next year when the capacity is around 14,000.
    Turners Cross: less than 4000 turned up for a recent competitive under 21 International.
    Flansiro: no comment.
    Tolka: capacity now is somewhere around 5000.
    Dalymount: same as Tolka.

RDS is the proper venue for these and both games should sell out.
    Left out Terryland. Apart from the RDS I think that Turner's Cross would be the best football ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This is despite almost all of Ireland's games being in Dublin, whereas surely in Munster there would have been a novelty factor? Many had to buy double tickets (i.e. Brazil tickets doubled up with Serbia tickets) but they were good crowds nonetheless.
    Novelty factor justifies high prices does it? John Delaney came out in a subsequent interview admitting they got it wrong with the ticket pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I hope the ticket price is reasonable for this - if they start charging €50-70 it will be ridiculous. Would love to see it in the €30-45 bracket for once.

Advertisement