Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion "eras"

• 14-02-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Just caught a glimpse of Gráinne Seoige looking absolutely divine with a war-time (WWII) hair-do and red lipstick. That type of style, the 20s/30s "flapper" one and 60s/70s looks are my faves - the latter I wear myself. It suits me as I've the long straight hair.

What other ones do you guys like? 80s? 50s? Was there even a style in the 90s?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

20's to late 40's for me. Love the flapper era and look.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

20's to late 40's dress, and 60's Mod-wear, I really like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

OldGoat wrote: »
    20's to late 40's for me. Love the flapper era and look.
    I loved the fluorescent colours, sequins, and shoulder pads.... Oh wait, I don't.

I like the chic look of the 40's and 50's also, very glam. Makes women look elegant and feminine. I think there's an element of innocence, yet with a slight seductiveness - perhaps it's the red lipstick!

Gráinne looked well I have to say - there was one week she was on and she looked awful. She's pretty - has a very doll - like face, not unlike Catherine Zeta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Dudess wrote: »
    Just caught a glimpse of Gráinne Seoige looking absolutely divine with a war-time (WWII) hair-do and red lipstick. That type of style, the 20s/30s "flapper" one and 60s/70s looks are my faves - the latter I wear myself. It suits me as I've the long straight hair.

What other ones do you guys like? 80s? 50s? Was there even a style in the 90s?
    And no Dudess, not to my knowledge was there any particular fashion style in the 90s, unless you count ski pants and knee high socks, and hairbands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I like the early 90s grunge look tbh, the oversized shirts, messy hair and ripped jeans is a pretty easy look to pull off :D
    Other times i like the 50s and 40s perfect hair/makeup. I like using red and rose lip sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And no Dudess, not to my knowledge was there any particular fashion style in the 90s, unless you count ski pants and knee high socks, and hairbands!
    Oh god, reminds me of the "Sloan" look - basically posh farmer. Popular in Britain in the early 80s with the Princess Di worshipping. Hit Cork in the early 90s - Alice bands, waxed jackets, wellies/penny loafers, "basket" bags, pearls.

Ski pants were so late 80s/early 90s all right. Had a pink pair. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I love the 1940's war-time look and pushing into the 50's, especially the rockabilly styles; red lippy and all:)

Like guys who dress like mods too :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can tell you what I don't like - the 80s. I can't understand why they keep coming back into fashion. It's appalling. Half the clothes in shops at the moment are downright ugly and many resemble curtains.

I love the 60s and 70s. 60s doesn't really suit me though, because I'm not straight up-and-down enough.

Some of the kinda "novelty" stuff in the 80s looked quite cool IMO - e.g. the Adam & The Ants look, Madonna's Like A Virgin era stuff (all that net, fingerless gloves etc) but yeah, most of it was hideous. And the state of stuff in the shops at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

40's and 50's. Grace Kelly was the most beautiful woman back then. When I was in college (the first time round) I had to research a lot of these looks. I loved it. :)

If only I could dress like that every day. I was looking at dresses on etsy last week thinking - where were all these balls/dances people went to where they could dress up like this all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a social club next Friday in Dublin, dress up and head along, you'll feel rather at home.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    There's a social club next Friday in Dublin, dress up and head along, you'll feel rather at home.

Could you pm me the details. I've a fab 40s style dress that I haven't found an occasion to wear to. Might be able to rope a few friends into going to.

Larianne wrote: »
    When I was in college (the first time round) I had to research a lot of these looks. I loved it. :)
    A few of my friends studied fashion and one of the modules was Fashion History - how awesome is that?!

I adore those 50s dresses too with their cinched-in waists - Liz Taylor in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, loads of Hitchcock women, etc. Stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I'd swing towards the late 30's to early 50's (taking in the 40's style wise as well), love it as a look, it's so elegant!. Funnily it's something I've noticed creeping back in at the burlesque shows, less women are going dressed in the corsets and feathers but the fifties Grace Kelly style dresses are out in force.
    Other than that, love the whole Mary Quant in the sixties style but on other folk, rather than myself. I lack the lack of curves for it :(

Jessibelle wrote: »
    I'd swing towards the late 30's to early 50's (taking in the 40's style wise as well), love it as a look, it's so elegant!. Funnily it's something I've noticed creeping back in at the burlesque shows, less women are going dressed in the corsets and feathers but the fifties Grace Kelly style dresses are out in force.
    Other than that, love the whole Mary Quant in the sixties style but on other folk, rather than myself. I lack the lack of curves for it :(
    I'd associate the first type of style you cited as suitable for curvaceous girls - the Mary Quant look was worn by fairly skinny chicks... Twiggy anyone? :)
    It would actually look fantastic on you I'd say...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Seems everyone loves the glamorous eras! I wish we could dress up like that every day, any occasion. I was watching Rear Window a few weeks back and was just in awe of Grace Kelly, popping in after balls in such lovely gowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

40's all the way. Georgous tailored suits with nipped waists and pencil skirts, elegant court shoes, gloves, hats, matching belts, bags and shoes, silk scarves...so elegant and womanly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

I have to say there is certain parts of each of these era's that appeal to me, but I hate the fact that so many people think they have to fit into a certain look,, I think people should go with what they love, I'm a Make Up artist and there is so many looks I love but I think people should make it more personal and say well ya know what this is me and this is how I want to look! and pick their own personal look,

Princess_N wrote: »
    I have to say there is certain parts of each of these era's that appeal to me, but I hate the fact that so many people think they have to fit into a certain look,, I think people should go with what they love, I'm a Make Up artist and there is so many looks I love but I think people should make it more personal and say well ya know what this is me and this is how I want to look! and pick their own personal look,
    Agreed. I just wear what I want, have a make-up style I thought up myself, etc... but it's hard not to be inspired by what's around us. :)

Cate Blanchett's on TV now in The Talented Mr Ripley - war-time look again. Looks luscious. Some women carry off red lipstick superbly. I love it but I'm a bit nervous about trying it - although I'm told it would suit me as I have black hair and fair skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Dudess wrote: »
    Some women carry off red lipstick superbly. I love it but I'm a bit nervous about trying it - although I'm told it would suit me as I have black hair and fair skin.

Don't be!!, just try a few till you find your red! Every woman can wear a red lipstick, it's just a matter of finding the right one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Ladies there is a Vintage fair coming up might be worth a trip...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=317333240675&ref=nf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Ladies here is a video clip from last years vintage fair on Xpose if you want to take a look, I'll def be heading along to this myself.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=8166&locID=

Advertisement