Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating grant question???

• 14-02-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    My sister got a new boiler fitted plus other sundries to do with her heating.

I advised her to get her thermostat moved from the hall which is near the front door into the livingroom so she could control her temperture where she spends most of her time.

The installer refused as he said if he moved the thermostat to the livingroom she would loose her €700 grant.

Is he right? if so where on the grant paperwork dose it say that?

Thanks very much.

PS I would horrified if my thermostat was in the hall near the front door the coldest part of the house:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Manufacturers recommend having the thermostat in an area with the most fluctuation of air flow.
    Most sitting rooms are stagnant when it comes to changes in temperature.

The idea is to counteract the change before it occurs in the rest of the house,obviously if the hall is a cooler area ,set the thermostat to a lower temperature etc.
    But the hall is probably the most accurate way of calculating heat loss in the rest of the house.

Some thermostats have a 2 degree allowance up and down ,to allow for sudden changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

@yoshytoshy,
    Thank you for that. All I can say where I live I never saw a person with a thermostat in the hall.

If thats the Irish system so be it, I told her to get her grant and move her thermostat soon after.

In our situation here I warm the livingroom with a wood stove and use a cordless thermostat in the baby's bedroom to give her 20 degrees.

Thanks again.

JD.

No bother ,I actually do these jobs myself and install the wireless thermostats.
    It leaves a bit of freedom at the end of the job ,to place the thermostat in the best spot.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    No bother ,I actually do these jobs myself and install the wireless thermostats.
    It leaves a bit of freedom at the end of the job ,to place the thermostat in the best spot.

Noted, they give great freedom I'm using the Honeywell CM927, very happy.

Back to the grant dose John Gormley want people to have their thermostats in cold halls?

Thanks JD.:)

Greenman wrote: »
    Back to the grant dose John Gormley want people to have their thermostats in cold halls?

Honestly ,I couldn't say I've had any issues. People are generally happy when everything works.

At this stage it's safe to say anyone still on the sei installers list ,has done good work. They have good records inspecting jobs as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure your sister got a good job done.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Any house I have been in has had the thermostat installed in the hall. Usually half way down the hall. Its for the reason mentioned above. It cannot go in the kitchen because its the warmest room in the house so all the other rooms would apear very cold. It cannot go in the sitting room because of above.

TBH. I think the wireless stats are the best although expensive however your still left with the dilema of where to put it.

I once had a customer ask our plumber to wire a stat in the kids bedroom. Needless to say he refused. I thought the refusal strong so asked him to explain to the customer why.

A kids room is generally a small room(was in this case) there is lots of furnature so the air is quite thin which is why mom always opens kids windows. The room would be a comfortable temp the upstairs bigger rooms would be quite cool but downstairs bar the kitchen would be freezing.

Really there is not many places for a stat. I actually think the market should be working towards programming room temperatures however to do this economically?????

Its simple science and science made very easy. There is really no other place for the stat bar the hall.

Thanks to all.

But if I had my thermostat in the hall I'd be in the "poorhouse" as it would be forever asking for heat and as I don't heat the hall ever it would stay on forever.

For the moment the baby's room gets heat but nowhere else upstairs. As I explained downstairs ie the livingroom/kitchen get heated by the wood stove.

When visiting my mother in Ireland I used to be horrified that the heat was on in the bedrooms. Is this normal?

Along way from grants and thermostats in halls. Just because people say it should be in the hall it dosen't make it right.

Greenman ,keep in mind that if a thermostat is in a hallway and the hall is cooler.
    Set the thermostat to a cooler temperature ,most sitting rooms can be up to 21 degrees and the hall might be 17.
    Set the stat to 17 and your sorted for the hall being cooler.

Installing thermostatic radiator valves upstairs and set them to number 2 or 3. This is usually adequate to prevent heatloss during the day etc.

Greenman ,keep in mind that if a thermostat is in a hallway and the hall is cooler.
    Set the thermostat to a cooler temperature ,most sitting rooms can be up to 21 degrees and the hall might be 17.

Installing thermostatic radiator valves upstairs and set them to number 2 or 3. This is usually adequate to prevent heatloss during the day etc.

Happy that you replied.:)

I talked with my workmates and to a man/woman all have their thermostats in their livingrooms, I suppose its different countries different systems, example no one here has a storeage tank in threir attic even anywhere, its all direct from the mains.

I still don't get the logic of that, for example, I'm here in my livingroom and I want 20 degrees, the thermostat is on the wall close to where I'm sitting so I set it to 20 degrees and hey bingo I've got 20 degrees. Am I missing something? How would I get 20 degrees in my livingroom if my stat was in my hall and my hall was 5 degrees or less which it is?

My bottom line is, have the stat where you're spending your time.

@yoshytoshy, were you ever in a house where they had the stat in the livingroom?

Thank you again, I remain confused.:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

@yoshytoshy,
    Thank you for that. All I can say where I live I never saw a person with a thermostat in the hall.

If thats the Irish system so be it, I told her to get her grant and move her thermostat soon after.

In our situation here I warm the livingroom with a wood stove and use a cordless thermostat in the baby's bedroom to give her 20 degrees.

Thanks again.

JD.

Green man, welcome to Irish Plumbing system the daftest system in Europe, it hasn't been updated since the 70's. We don't really have a dedicated plumbing system / regulation. All our rules and regs are part of building regulation and other regs robbed off UK system, its a joke here to be honest.

Locating stat in hall completely defeats purpose of "efficiency" all you can do is laugh at SEI when your sitting in your sweating living room at 36 degrees when hall stat is still calling for heat, all because un insulated front door has been opened many times from kids running about the place.

Then you find your sweating in bed because up stairs stat is again located outside @ stairs landing, again stat is still calling for heat because landing is freezing.

Not to worry, to get around all this TRV's are fitted (thermo rad valves). TRV's will control individual room temps but TRV has to be located in perfect area to work correctly, I've yet to find a room temp controlled accurately by a TRV.

SEI need to start thinking more, stats in living rooms, bed rooms and so on is the only way to improve efficiency, eventually we'll catch up.

Reason stats are fitted in halls etc stemmed from the old days where houses heated from solid fuel, having stat in living room could through off reading (fire lit) also halls were and still are coldest area in house so it gave a good reading to heat entire house, very limited heating zones and control, everything worked off single system (no zones) and a single room stat. Now we have much better systems but SEI seem to be stuck in the old days.

I've fitted many Geo systems under Grant, each room had individual stat controlling individual zones, I cant understand why they accept stats in rooms in one installation and reject stats in rooms on another, still confused?

• Advertisement

@yoshytoshy, were you ever in a house where they had the stat in the livingroom?

Thank you again, I remain confused.:confused::confused::confused:

Ah yeah ,I've installed them in sitting rooms plenty of times ,as I've said to you ,the wireless stats are pretty handy.
    But the majority of stats in houses are in halls ,mostly wired.

items wrote: »

Not to worry, to get around all this TRV's are fitted (thermo rad valves). TRV's will control individual room temps but TRV has to be located in perfect area to work correctly, I've yet to find a room temp controlled accurately by a TRV.

Reason stats are fitted in halls etc stemmed from the old days where houses heated from solid fuel, having stat in living room could through off reading (fire lit) also halls were and still are coldest area in house so it gave a good reading to heat entire house, very limited heating zones and control, everything worked off single system (no zones) and a single room stat. Now we have much better systems but SEI seem to be stuck in the old days.

I've fitted many Geo systems under Grant, each room had individual stat controlling individual zones, I cant understand why they accept stats in rooms in one installation and reject stats in rooms on another, still confused?

You are really making things up as you go along ,thermostats on radiators do work.

Also ,there are many houses where the hall is the most central part of the house ,i.e. The kitchen/hall door and it's mostly left open so the air temperature is pretty much bang on for downstairs.

Please be weary that some of us actually work at this full time. We don't have the oppurtunity to make things up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement