Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Station near Durrow, Co. Laois

Options
  • 14-02-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

I would like to inform all members that view my weather station data on a regular basis that some calibration was done today with the kind help of Snowbie. We discovered that the station was recording 0.7c higher than true values. As of 6pm this evening, Sunday 14th February, all temperatures and dew points will now be correct.

So it seems, there was no global warming here! :D

Also, with the discrepency in mind, I have adjusted my January data which can be seen here... http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/weather-and-climate-statistics/january-2010/15/

A new summary of January 2010 reads...

Mean 1.5c
    Mean Max 5.0c
    Mean Min -1.8c

Lowest min -12.0c on 9th
    Highest max 10.0c on 15th and 21st
    Lowest max -2.2c on 9th
    Highest min 5.5c on 15th

Rainfall = 62.7mm
    Wettest Day being 15.9mm on 15th

19 Air frosts
    4 Ice Days

Thanks for reading, Danno.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Cool stuff Danno.

If you could advise on a problem I am having with my Davis at the moment :o Over the last couple of weeks, for some reason, the humidity will not go higher than 69%. It works fine with values fall below this, as last week proved, but for some reason, the highest values, normally between 95% and 100% here, will not show, just stays stuck on 69%.

I did the whole calaberation thing, but the result is the same in the "raw data". Temp seems to working fine, so I am doubtful it is a sensor problem, but may be wrong in this. The sensor suite is in a well exposed area at 2.1m above ground level. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

In addition, I would like to also highlight The Big Freeze when taken in the context of a month, for this December 14th to January 13th is used and the following statistics emerge...

The mean temperature for the period is -0.1c :eek:
    The mean maximum is 2.4c
    The mean minimum is -3.3c

Rainfall recorded was 44.1mm
    Avg wind was 3.4mph at 2m
    Avg gust was 16.3mph at 2m
    Max gust was 43mph SE at 2m

Hi DE, that sounds like a very unusual problem. I presume you are using WeatherLink software. If so, can you check that you are using version 5.91 which is the latest... download from here... http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_sftwr.asp

Secondly, unless you have exposure problems at your site, then I really suggest dropping the height of the suite to 1.2m and if possible put the wind vane on a seperate post away from the suite, running the cable underground back to the suite.

Danno wrote: »
    Hi DE, that sounds like a very unusual problem. I presume you are using WeatherLink software. If so, can you check that you are using version 5.91 which is the latest... download from here... http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/software_sftwr.asp

Secondly, unless you have exposure problems at your site, then I really suggest dropping the height of the suite to 1.2m and if possible put the wind vane on a seperate post away from the suite, running the cable underground back to the suite.

Thanks Dan. Exposure is not really a problem (large suburban backyard) and I do indeed use the latest Weatherlink software. Despite the height of the suite, this problem only started a couple of weeks ago. I calaberated the console from on both the console itself and through WL. Did not make a difference at all to the actual raw readings, so I just reset it and left it as it is. I tried to contact Davis but found them unhelpful to be honest. I may have to get a new sensor but times are hard... :o

Shut down Weatherlink, download and install Cumulus from here http://sandaysoft.com/downloads

See if the problem still exists. This will determine whether or not Weatherlink is the issue or the sensor is the issue.

Let me know. Offline now until tomorrow, so I will reply then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DE, Do you have a console with your VP?
    If the issue shows up here, its nothing to do with weatherlink.

Good thinking MM, my brain was still in weekend mode when I wrote the last post!

Hi MM and Dan,

Yes, console showing the same readings. I should have mentioned this more plainly. When this problem started I calaberated (crap spelling) both WeatherLink and the Console itself in an attempt to try and solve this problem. However, when done, the humidity readings tend to stay within a 5% range between day and night. The actual raw reading (as oppossed to actual readings) when viewed on weatherlink despite this adjustment still showed 69% or lower. As I mentioned, the temp readings on both the console and WL seem to be working fine with no problem there. So whether it is a sensor problem I don't know. I thouroughly cleaned out the outside sensor suite last week hoping this would help but it did not. :o

Just to add, I set the console and WL reading back to its original readings so currenly the console and WL are showing a 62% humidity reading and temp of 3.4c. Temp seems right but humidity in reality should be reading closer to 90% given the current conditions.

Shut down Weather Link. Go to the console. Use the arrows to move the icon beside the outdoor humidity. Press the 2nd Key, then immediatly press and hold the done key for 4 seconds. At the bottom of the console should read your adjustments if any. Use the up and down keys to change the value.

Disconnect the console from the PC and restart weatherlink. Go into the calibrat Temp/Hum and make sure that raw data and actual readings are the same.

Shut down weatherlink

Reconnect the console (USB or serial) and restart Weatherlink.

Hope this works.
    Danno.

Thanks Danno. I went through all that myself last week, and unfortunately, the result was unsuccessful. The raw readings never pass 69%, and as a result, the console and WL readings are the same give or take 2% at any given time. When I did calibrate readings, for some reason, the actual diurnal range in any give day was usually less than 5%, and went against official readings from nearby Claremorris; before this problem started, my readings were usually spot on with that station in any given hour.

Guess this is a serious problem with the sensor, it is the only conclusion I can come to. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Guess this is a serious problem with the sensor, it is the only conclusion I can come to. :(
    I think it is an issue at ISS as well either with sensor or with the circuit board (or whatever it is called).

Advertisement