Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirt on Sensor

• 14-02-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Does anybody have any experience with cleaning the sensor in DSLR?

Would you recommend leaving the camera in a specialized shop rather than cleaning it myself? Is it difficult? How high is the probability of damaging the camera if I do it myself?

Have never done anything like this before, so any useful advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It depends how dirty it is. Using a blower like this should help you to get rid of most of the dust. If not, repeat the blowing.
    Wet cleaning is a contact sport, but if you are careful, it will pay back all the material costs after the second cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is not difficult as long as you use the correct procedure.
    A fully charged battery, cleaning swab and fluid. A couple of strokes across the sensor and Bob's your uncle. Thats a wet clean but first try blowing the dust off with a Rocket Blower.
    Youtube have many tutorials showing how to do it.
    If you want to have it done professionally it will cost approx 100euro for a wet clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSi27u4azQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Try using a blower first, if not I use a lenspen sensorklear which has worked well so far. Very easy to use and cheap, think it was about €15 in Hall's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

Was in Gunns last week and they recommended Declan, (I don't know if he is just a Nikon repair guy or if he can do any brand). I rang him and he said he could do a wet clean for eur40. I haven't used him yet though.

Not sure if were allowed to post contact numbers here so I'll pm you his mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

riiight! wrote: »
    Was in Gunns last week and they recommended Declan, (I don't know if he is just a Nikon repair guy or if he can do any brand). I rang him and he said he could do a wet clean for eur40. I haven't used him yet though.

Not sure if were allowed to post contact numbers here so I'll pm you his mobile.

Declan in Photographic Repair Services? If that's him then he's superb and that 40 euro gets the sensor cleaned and the innards of the camera cleaned too!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

Yeah that's him :)

Can we post phone numbers here? OP has pm's disabled...

riiight! wrote: »
    Yeah that's him :)

Can we post phone numbers here? OP has pm's disabled...

Probably not a good idea. Declan's website is at http://www.camerarepaircentre.com/ though ;-)

He's a real gent and a photographer aswell!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

You can buy the cleaning kit in Gunn's for about €40. You get about 10-15 cleans from this.
    Don't be wasting your money getting someone else to do it for you. It's simple to do.

hcnyla wrote: »
    You can buy the cleaning kit in Gunn's for about €40. You get about 10-15 cleans from this.
    Don't be wasting your money getting someone else to do it for you. It's simple to do.

Not everyone is as confident inside the camera as they are outside it! You're also paying for a guarantee of having it done properly.

Different strokes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

I know what you are saying, but if you were to try it yourself then you would see how simple it actually is to do. The cleaning kit tells you how to do it or if you still feel uncomfortable, then watch it done on youtube.

I agree with you completely and would do it myself (speaking of which, I must actually get around to it!!), but I know there's a lot of folks out there who really wouldn't want to go there...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

Thanks a million for all your advice, guys. Really appreciate it...

Guess, will have a look for the kit and the instruction videos first....just to realize I will rather give it to somebody who has the experience... :o

Advertisement