Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Equality Studies

Options
  • 14-02-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone done the Masters in Equality Studies in UCD?

I'm thinking of applying and just wanted to hear experiences from others

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 posgoofy

Hi I did this a few years ago and I loved it. Set me on my way to a legal career. I would suggest doing some reading prior to the course as I felt a little under prepared on the 1st day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hey op,

Did you apply after? I applied and got offered this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've applied but only just last week - I'm waiting to hear back because they need my degree exam transcripts!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

oh best of luck. I didnt need to submit any of that because i'm a past student.

Will you be doing the course full time or part time?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Full time, how about you? I'm probably mad cos ive a 16 week old baby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

That department is excellent, and I think they're one of the best in UCD. From what I know, the MA course has a wide range of people from different backgrounds who take it (I think Vincent Brown did it this year :pac:) so the course is very interdisciplinary, drawing on economics, sociology, politics and law. I did courses with them as an undergrad and the subject matter and staff were great, I couldn't recommend them enough!

They've published two books, Equality from Theory to Action, and Affective Equality. If you want something else to read, I'd definitley recommend The Spirit Level.

There is also an email list for equality/egalitarianism in Ireland, I think you can get onto it here somewhere:
    EQUAL

That department is excellent, and I think they're one of the best in UCD. From what I know, the MA course has a wide range of people from different backgrounds who take it (I think Vincent Brown did it this year :pac:) so the course is very interdisciplinary, drawing on economics, sociology, politics and law. I did courses with them as an undergrad and the subject matter and staff were great, I couldn't recommend them enough!

They've published two books, Equality from Theory to Action, and Affective Equality. If you want something else to read, I'd definitley recommend The Spirit Level.

There is also an email list for equality/egalitarianism in Ireland, I think you can get onto it here somewhere:
    EQUAL

Thank you so much for that. You've been extremely helpful. I've ordered one of those books. Some light reading for the summer :D

lolli wrote: »
    Full time, how about you? I'm probably mad cos ive a 16 week old baby :)

Yes full time as well - I'm probably mad as well cause I have a mortgage to pay and can't get the BTEA but as I was made redundant last year this is an opportunity, still waiting on an offer but it looks very likely

Terry Pratchet

posgoofy wrote: »
    Hi I did this a few years ago and I loved it. Set me on my way to a legal career. I would suggest doing some reading prior to the course as I felt a little under prepared on the 1st day!

Any particular reading you would suggest

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Hey Johnny

Well done on getting in. Wonder how many others will be joining us.

Anyone else starting in September?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I worked as a PA for a women with a disability who did this course two years ago. I had to go to all the lecture's and found it incredibly interesting. You will love it JohnnyMcG.

Judy Walsh's legal lectures were amazing. She is a fantastic lecturer,particularly If you have an interest in LGBT issues.

Kathleen Lynch has to be one of the most astute and intelligent people I have ever met in my life. She is very passionate about equality issues and admires students who actively engages against inequality rather than those who take a passive academic approach to it. Maybe read up a bit on your Marx before her first lecture :)

panda100 wrote: »
    I worked as a PA for a women with a disability who did this course two years ago. I had to go to all the lecture's and found it incredibly interesting. You will love it JohnnyMcG.

Judy Walsh's legal lectures were amazing. She is a fantastic lecturer,particularly If you have an interest in LGBT issues.

Kathleen Lynch has to be one of the most astute and intelligent people I have ever met in my life. She is very passionate about equality issues and admires students who actively engages against inequality rather than those who take a passive academic approach to it. Maybe read up a bit on your Marx before her first lecture :)

Oh god Marx - ugh the thought of reading it!

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

Hey guys!
    I'm an undergrad in ucd at the moment with English and history major. have done some of the equality modules as electives and LOVE them, so naturally thinking about doing the masters
    First what is the timetable like for the full time masters? I'm broke so would have to work aswel in order to pay for it, but was thinking I could work part-time if it's not too intensive has anyone else done this, and how did you find it?
    Also what kind of jobs could you get with it? Would I be better off doing something more practical like social policy or social care diploma first?

Hey guys!
    I'm an undergrad in ucd at the moment with English and history major. have done some of the equality modules as electives and LOVE them, so naturally thinking about doing the masters
    First what is the timetable like for the full time masters? I'm broke so would have to work aswel in order to pay for it, but was thinking I could work part-time if it's not too intensive has anyone else done this, and how did you find it?
    Also what kind of jobs could you get with it? Would I be better off doing something more practical like social policy or social care diploma first?

I'm doing it at the moment

My hours are Monday 11-3 and Tuesday - Thursday 4:30 to 7:30 - Though it's felxibleish cause you can do different options - A few people on my course do work part time - What kind of job do you want to do when you leave? Perhaps have a chat with John Baker or Kathleen Lynch or the careers office

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

Hey Johnny Cheers for your reply,

My plan is to go into social work or alternative education and then when I'm older become a lecturer in equality studies :)
    From the sounds of it the equality studies lecturers do alot of direct work with people both educational work and social work like domestic abuse victims and the homeless etc. Both in ireland and in other places around the world. so was wondering could I get into social work with them, because for me to get the social work masters takes 3 more years of study and this if I did it full time which would be impossible for me financially, I don't mind putting in the time but it's just really €€€ :/
    Do the school of equality studies have much opportunities to work in their school with them, like maybe doing community programmes, adult education or anything like that?

I'm not quite sure that you would be able to go into social work. I think it's probably best to have a chat with someone from the school of social justice such as Elizabeth Hassell or Kathleen Lynch

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

To work as a social worker in Ireland you have to do a course that has the National Qualification in Social Work awarded as part of it, which leaves you with the MSWs in UCD TCD Cork and Galway, or the degree in TCD. The masters in equality studies doesn't award this, so if that's your end goal, you'd be best to go direct into the MSW. :)

Advertisement