Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voodoo Histories

• 15-02-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

Our age is obsessed by the idea of conspiracy—from Pearl Harbor to 9/11, from the Kennedy assassination to the death of Princess Diana. David Aaronovitch discusses why they are so persistent and why they’ve been around for so long. In Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History, he probes and explodes the major conspiracy theories.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/2010/02/11/segments/149886

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

octo wrote: »
    Our age is obsessed by the idea of conspiracy—from Pearl Harbor to 9/11, from the Kennedy assassination to the death of Princess Diana. David Aaronovitch discusses why they are so persistent and why they’ve been around for so long. In Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History, he probes and explodes the major conspiracy theories.

Octo you don't get out much, 2004-2010, 136? posts...........
    Tell us who you really are.

uprising2 wrote: »
    Octo you don't get out much, 2004-2010, 136? posts...........
    Tell us who you really are.

What the hell, uprising? Octo has every right to post here, and he certainly doesn't need to answer to you. Now, stop dragging this thread off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Have you seen the black and white video with Kennedy's driver turning around and shooting him in the face with a pistol?
    If nobody can find it or its not well known i will try find out which documentary i saw it in.But dont make me go looking for the heck of it im busy lol.

Im guessing and just guessing here that the guy on the audio link is talking about how conspiracy theories are made up to steer the world in certain directions? would that be a rough sum up?
    I am in the midle of a hitler freemason trail hunt and dont have time right now to listen to that mp3.
    So if someone can expand on this topic id appreciate it cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Torakx wrote: »
    Im guessing and just guessing here that the guy on the audio link is talking about how conspiracy theories are made up to steer the world in certain directions? would that be a rough sum up?
    Ehh, no. He's saying several things, but the gist of it is that people generate overly complex theories to explain simple events because they can't accept the randomness of life and have a religious tendency to believe all major events stem from a higher power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Torakx wrote: »
    Have you seen the black and white video with Kennedy's driver turning around and shooting him in the face with a pistol?
    Can't really watch the videos at work, but I believe these guys link to the video http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=35740.0

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

The interviewee David Aaronovitch is an Israeli Hasbara writer. http://www.infoisrael.net/authors.html

For those of you who don't know Hasbara is propoganda
    The body, known as the National Information Directorate, was set up eight months ago following recommendations from an Israeli inquiry into the 2006 Lebanon war. Its role is to deal with hasbara - meaning, in Hebrew, "explanation", and referring variously to information, spin, and propaganda.

The directorate’s chief, Yarden Vatikai, said: “The hasbara apparatus needed a body that would co-ordinate its agencies, coordinate the messages and become a platform for co-operation between all the agencies that deal with communication relations and public diplomacy.”
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/02/israel-palestine-pr-spin

Incidentally here is an official Hasbara handbook and it relates to debate in a public internet forum.

http://www.muzzlewatch.com/wp-content/wujshasbara.pdf
    Look for the section "Communication Styles: Point Scoring And Genuine Debate" and you'll learn how to "point score" to "give the impression of rational debate, whilst avoiding genuine discussion".

So if you want to waste your time listening to a bought and paid for propagandist listen to the file in the OP and you'll learn that conspiracies don't happen and always trust your government..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

Apart from Pearl Harbour, all the other conspiracies you have mentioned there are linked to the Isreal branch of the illuminati/freemasons.That video you posted is a conspiracy in itself. (by a bought and paid for puppet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

It would seem that being Jewish automatically excludes you from an unbiased opinion around these here parts.

studiorat wrote: »
    It would seem that being Jewish automatically excludes you from an unbiased opinion around these here parts.

What Bollox! No ones mentioned religion at all, I've called a spade a spade, he is a hasbara writer, hasbara = propoganda. Hypocritcal coming from you too, the Catholic Church is fair-game for you to attack directly yet pointing out that a paid propoganda writer is a paid propoganda writer is anti-semitic. Love to know how you made that imaginary leap.

Aaronvitch is an accomplice to war crimes, for the **** he spewed to trick the British public into supporting the illegal war in Iraq. Has he learned his lesson with war looming with Iran? Has he ****! Soon be another million lives lost.

Nope Wrong... Null Points...
    In an item in last Sunday's The Feral Beast column, we wrongly stated that David Aaronovitch was a member of the Hasbara committee, an organisation that seeks to promote Israel's reputation. In fact, he is not connected to Hasbara at all. We now understand that the Hasbara website describes individuals as a "Hasbara author" merely because Hasbara themselves have referred to these individuals' work on their site, and the authors may have no knowledge of this or connection to Hasbara, as was the case here. We apologise to David for our error.

Please follow linky...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/corrections/david-aaronovitch-1837686.html

If that were the case other Hasbara authors would include Salman Rushtie, Christopher Hitchens, the BBC.

Even Robert Fisk is listed as being a hasbarah author.

You are believing Hasbara's own propaganda, see?

• Advertisement

Nope Wrong... Null Points...

Please follow linky...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/corrections/david-aaronovitch-1837686.html

If that were the case other Hasbara authors would include Salman Rushtie, Christopher Hitchens, the BBC.

Even Robert Fisk is listed as being a hasbarah author.

You are believing Hasbara's own propaganda, see?

We now understand that the Hasbara website describes individuals as a "Hasbara author" merely because Hasbara themselves have referred to these individuals' work on their site

OK, I'll accept I was wrong if you find the "work" of Aaronvitch that "Hasbara themselves have referred to"

Here is an example of his tastless propoganda titled: That's enough outrage about Gaza
    Let's have a pointless discussion about Gaza and begin it by talking about whether Israel's bombing is “disproportionate”.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/david_aaronovitch/article5415342.ece

(The UN and the Goldstone Report accused Israel of "disproportionate" force. Disproportionate force that included war crimes
    )
    And this propoganda nugget relates WMD's
    If nothing is eventually found, I (Aaronovitch) - as a supporter of the war - will never believe another thing that I am told by our government, or that of the US ever again. And, more to the point, neither will anyone else. Those weapons had better be there somewhere.

They probably are
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,945381,00.html

So is he a conspiracy theorist himself now then?

We now understand that the Hasbara website describes individuals as a "Hasbara author" merely because Hasbara themselves have referred to these individuals' work on their site

OK, I'll accept I was wrong if you find the "work" of Aaronvitch that "Hasbara themselves have referred to"

Get a grip on yourself man. Do you seriously think I'm going to go trawling Hasbara. The mistake is cited in the newspaper article I linked. The original author Gilad Atzmon even admitted he was wrong in his own articles.

The same Gilad Atzmon who see's burning down synagogues as a rational act!!!

Atzom is obvioulsy still a bit shell shocked from his own spell in the Israeli Defence forces.
    I would urge NASA to join in and to make a special effort to find a suitable alternative planet for the Zionist homeland in outer space or even in another galaxy. The Galactic Zionist project would signify the immediate move from ‘promised land’ to ‘promised planet’.

BTW I didn't attack the Catholic Church, I was talking about Legatus and the Iona institute. Spot the difference if you can...

Get a grip on yourself man. Do you seriously think I'm going to go trawling Hasbara.
    LOL. Luckily the Israeli Hasbara Committee has a search function on their site.
    http://www.infoisrael.net/search.html

Check it and come back to me. Its A.a.r.o.n.o.v.i.t.c.h.
    The original author Gilad Atzmon even admitted he was wrong in his own articles.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Its comments like that which makes me think you don't really know what you are talking about. Gilad Atzmon DID NOT write the original article or ANY article for the Independent EVER; so obviously he did not write any article admitting that he was wrong. Where did you even get that from?
    The same Gilad Atzmon who see's burning down synagogues as a rational act!!!
    Quote, misquote

Your quote ('Boycott threat to Israeli colleges', News, last week) of my saying 'I'm not going to say whether it is right or not to burn down a synagogue, I can see that it is a rational act' is inaccurate and taken out of context. By no means did I justify any form of violence against Jews, Jewish interests or any innocent people. In the School of Oriental and African Studies we were debating the question of rationality of anti-semitism. I claimed that since Israel presents itself as the 'state of the Jewish people', and bearing in mind the atrocities committed by the Jewish state against the Palestinians, any form of anti-Jewish activity may be seen as political retaliation. This does not make it right.
    Gilad Atzmon
    London NW2

Paraphrasing out of context. You sure your not a closet CTer?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Its comments like that which makes me think you don't really know what you are talking about. Gilad Atzmon DID NOT write the original article or ANY article for the Independent EVER; so obviously he did not write any article admitting that he was wrong. Where did you even get that from?

QUOTE]

That's because you don't read the posts correctly. Atzmon gives himself credit for over 2,000 instances of Aaronovitch being part of Hasbara.
    Aaronovitch found 2,000 references to himself and “Hasbara” online, and just about every one of them come from cross-postings of two articles by horrid me, an “old, anti-Jewish friend, the jazz-playing loony, Gilad Atzmon”.

I did not state Atzmon wrote for the Independent, you are putting words in my mouth again. Just as you did accusing me about the Catholic Church.

Please read the posts...

Advertisement