Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on a second-hand console

Options
  • 15-02-2010 2:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

I contacted two different branches of Gamestop recently and got two different responses when it came to the warranty on a second-hand Playstation 2 console. One mentioned a year, which seemed a bit wrong to me, and the other 3 months. From those two, I would imagine that 3 months would be correct.

So, what do you know to be the correct warranty on a second-hand console?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Joe,

AFAIK Gamestop offer a 3 month warranty on used consoles. However it should be remembered that all warranties are in addition to your statutory rights as a customer and in practice the small claims court would consider 3 months to be far short of the reasonable period required for the life span of the product.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Once a shop is selling goods they are obliged to provide a warranty alright and the 3 month one is the only one we ever sold, when I worked there many moons ago.
    But I have a feeling that your statutory rights don't care if an item is new or old, the shop has to ensure it is fit for the purpose it is sold for, so in that case a year seems proper.
    Best call up the CAB for more certain information.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gamestop could sell the Console "as is" - this still would not affect your statutory rights. Im pretty sure EU law legislates the statutory warranty period for most consumer goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Overheal wrote: »
    Im pretty sure EU law legislates the statutory warranty period for most consumer goods.

Would that not just cover new goods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nothing to do with EU law, but Irish law. The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 to be precise.

EDIT: You have the same consumer rights under the act if you buy second hand goods, just as you have when you buy new products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

There should be an annual warranty you can buy for all consoles.
    Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would surely make some money on it.
    Id defo buy one if it was a reasonable price !

Advertisement