Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BNP Focced to change Core principal

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I have quite a nice tan on me arms and face.

and the Abbos, they can have it one way or the other

Abo / Abbo (AUS) Australian Aboriginal person. Originally, this was simply an informal term for "Aborigine", and was in fact used by Aboriginal people themselves until it started to be considered offensive in 1950s. In remoter areas, Aboriginal people still often refer to themselves (quite neutrally) as "Blackfellas" (and whites as "Whitefellas"). Although "Abo" is still considered quite offensive by many, the pejorative "boong" is now more commonly used when the intent is to deliberately offend, as that word's status as an insult is unequivocal.[3]

Reported for use of a racist term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I had a giggle earlier. An immigrant from Africa wanted to join the BNP was on the radio. I wonder does he not understand that should he join, he'll probably get the sh|t kicked out of him? Sure, they'll open the doors, but one of two things will happen:
    a) they'll be more open about what they want to achive
    b) people will just set up a more extreme version of BNP

If they people they don't want in their country come into their little club, I don't think the hardcore skinheads will be all that pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

there are some points about them that you can agree with though. I dont think they should be racist but a lot of asian and black people agree with BNP that they came to Britain for a british life so there should be a british government....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think the BNP are scum, but I find it odd that "whites only" organisations are banned or seen as terrible, but "blacks only" or "Asians only" organisations are seen as grand.

For example, a few weeks ago I was watching something about some sort of black awards ceremony on E! news. It's was seen as great. Imagine the outrage if there was a whites only awards ceremony?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

There is something curious about people's distaste for some aspects of what the BNP stand for. I certainly have quite a dim view of them because I suspect their ambitions stem from racism and xenophobia, but many people take exception to the more sanitized version of their objective, which is to keep Britain (culturally) British. I personally don't subscribe to that view, I happen to think Ireland has become a more interesting place with the various foreign nationals milling around, but what exactly is wrong with the idea?

If you are Irish and have strong nationalists feelings (interestingly such people are often the fiercest critics of the BNP) then presumably you have a dream for some kind of Ireland which has its own distinct culture and identity. You may not see a threat, indeed you may welcome, a small presence of alternative cultures. But if hypothetically, one such alternative culture were to come and grow in such numbers to such an extent that it materially threatened the one you espouse, then presumably you would not be indifferent to such a state of affairs. Might you not be inclined to do something to try and preserve your own culture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I think the BNP are scum, but I find it odd that "whites only" organisations are banned or seen as terrible, but "blacks only" or "Asians only" organisations are seen as grand.

For example, a few weeks ago I was watching something about some sort of black awards ceremony on E! news. It's was seen as great. Imagine the outrage if there was a whites only awards ceremony?!

It's traditionally the case that the minority can exclude the majority from such things on the basis that otherwise they risk being excluded entirely themselves by sheer weight of numbers - while the reverse obviously doesn't apply.

As such, the holding of such minority-exclusive events is in itself a mark of second-class status, whereas the exclusion of a minority by the majority would be a case of further exacerbating such status.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

lugha wrote: »
    I certainly have quite a dim view of them because I suspect their ambitions stem from racism and xenophobia, but many people take exception to the more sanitized version of their objective, which is to keep Britain (culturally) British. I personally don't subscribe to that view, I happen to think Ireland has become a more interesting place with the various foreign nationals milling around, but what exactly is wrong with the idea?
    How do we define what is 'culturally British' and what is not? It's not as black and white (whoops) as the BNP would have us believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

AARRRGH wrote: »

I've often wondered about this too. There are many black only organisations in the UK which are not open to anyone except people who are black (The Black Police Association, for example). If someone tried to start "The White Police Association" they would be, rightly, stopped.

In South Africa there is still racism practiced by the government, but as its a black government practicing racism against the white population, that seems to attract no criticism.

It's disgraceful that any form of racism should be allowed, and we should not tolerate it from wherever it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

djpbarry wrote: »
    How do we define what is 'culturally British' and what is not? It's not as black and white (whoops) as the BNP would have us believe.
    Granted it is not easy to come up with agreement on what constitutes the culture of any place but I think most people (who care!) have their own sense, if not definition, of what it means to be Irish or British or whatever which would overlap considerably with like minded others. They may not notice minor diminishings of this culture, or not care if they did notice, but what if, by virtue of large scale population movements or whatever, a different culture comes to dominate where theirs once did? Should they just shrug their shoulders and accept it? If so, you have to wonder how important this sense of cultural identity was to them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Stewart Lee put it brilliantly (as always) in his Live in Glasgow gig. He was in London and walked past a mosque to find the BNP were protesting outside it shouting slogans such as "Send them home!", "Send those bastards back to where they came from!"

And Lee goes; "Yes, send them home!", "Bradford, Leeds, Manchester; and all the other industrial towns that needed cheap labour in the 50's and 60's!"

Quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement