Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you know you're dealing with a landlord?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As I might be moving out in a couple of months, I've started looking at apartments on Daft and I've noticed a lot of places I might be interested in are advertised by an individual, sometimes with nothing but a first name and mobile number given...

The apartments I've rented so far have all been handled by agents (even though the one I'm in now, only the original renting out was handled by an agent - we deal with the landlord directly for everything now). As much as I may hate dealing with agents, at least there's a valid business address and things you can check up on in advance to figure out that things are legit...

So in the case of an individual, how would you know you're dealing with a landlord or somebody who is trying to sublet/get out of a lease/scam you, etc (assuming they're being dishonest about things)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I have never dealt with an agency, I prefer having a landlord and I never had one single issue and the landlord I have now is the most lovely person and I have no issues with him whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

That's not what I asked though. My question is if you go to some apartment and meet some random bloke, how do you even establish that's the landlord and not a previous tenant or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

J-blk wrote: »
    That's not what I asked though. My question is if you go to some apartment and meet some random bloke, how do you even establish that's the landlord and not a previous tenant or something?
    You could ask them? Have you reason to believe they'd be lying to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Truth is you don't know. However, if the owner of the property did everything above board then they should have the pps number of a previous tenant. If the previous tenant pretends to be the landlord and takes a cash deposit off you then they're traceable by their pps number afaik.

I've never heard of such things happening though. If you want to limit your properties to dealings with companies then do that. But who's to say a letting agent isn't a con artist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Have you reason to believe they'd be lying to you?

Nope, I'm just being paranoid :P. I haven't looked anywhere quite yet, was just wondering... as it seems there are more private individuals renting now (which makes sense, why use an agent, especially now?).
    Cathooo wrote: »
    Truth is you don't know. However, if the owner of the property did everything above board then they should have the pps number of a previous tenant. If the previous tenant pretends to be the landlord and takes a cash deposit off you then they're traceable by their pps number afaik.

At that point though, you've lost the deposit and you may even have a fake lease, etc. Even if you found the landlord then and everything worked out, I'm guessing data protection laws would prevent him from giving you the previous tenants' PPS anyway...
    Cathooo wrote: »
    I've never heard of such things happening though.

That's good to hear, thanks. It hasn't happened to me or anything and I most definitely do not like dealing with EAs but I was just curious as to how you deal with a private landlord directly. It just seems you need to take them at their word, which goes against my suspicious nature :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You sound very paranoid. I much prefer dealing with landlords than an agency who don't really give two hoots about you or the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

At that point though, you've lost the deposit and you may even have a fake lease, etc. Even if you found the landlord then and everything worked out, I'm guessing data protection laws would prevent him from giving you the previous tenants' PPS anyway...

The gardai would be called, as it's stealing. You don't personally have to be told of the PPS number but I'm sure the gardai would get any info they can from the PRTB or from the Landlord.

Advertisement