Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 handgun owners to mount legal challenges

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hmmm,just wait until Independant newsgroup who owns the Wexford people is handed along with the Min for Justice DOJ/Gardai a High court writ for endangering peoples lives and property if this goes pear shaped.
    If I was any of those people mentioned in that report,I would be onto my solrs demanding a retraction of that article and a possible legal action for any fallout of that article.Highly irresponsible journalism that.When it was easy enough to say 50 gunowners are ...etc etc.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    .When it was easy enough to say 50 gunowners are ...etc etc.

prob more like 250 or 350

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

anymore news from the courts ? there must be cases ongoing all the time now .

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

rowa wrote: »
    anymore news from the courts ? there must be cases ongoing all the time now .

There was a case in Kerry Yesterday morning. Appeal against refusal of pistol licence. Court presenting Inspector for An Garda Siochana informed the Court that the State were not opposing the application, Judge granted the appeal:D Obviously the Chief Super in Kerry didnt fancy another grilling in the witness box;)

VERY nice to know that!;):D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

VERY nice to know that!;):D

it is grizzly, but it hasn't stopped the police acting the fool though , i was refused a licence for the .45 nearly a month ago and decided to appeal directly to the chief super , i made an appointment on monday and seen him on wednesday , he was very terse and borderline rude, and stated that he knew most of the district court cases have gone against them .

got a letter this morning from him stating he has denied my appeal to him and the licence stands refused , there is an offence of wasting police time, pity there isn't one of the police wasting our time .

looks like its on to court.

Delightful Rowa!:rolleyes: .Are you down in the Kerry region???

Delightful Rowa!:rolleyes: .Are you down in the Kerry region???

no dublin , but surely the sight of one of the most anti-gun chief supers in the land , not even turning up to contest the case would send a message that this nonsence is now dead ,

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Not if you're unwilling \ incapable of saying - YES

freddieot wrote: »
    Not if you're unwilling \ incapable of saying - YES

but loseing sizeable chunks of your budget in costs when court cases fail should be a factor , but then again this is ireland and public servants wasting tax payers money is nothing new .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

True - I dare say the cost of an appeal will stop many people from seeking Justice.

Democracy in action - Remember it at the ballot box next time and remember it next time some scanger gets a suspended sentence for getting caught with an 'unlicensed' handgun and mistakenly taken for an armed robber just because he was in a post office wearing a balaclava for the 148th time as clearly explained by his FREE legal advisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quigley

"got a letter this morning from him stating he has denied my appeal to him and the licence stands refused , there is an offence of wasting police time, pity there isn't one of the police wasting our time ".

Taking you at your word, I find the reference to wasting police time in the CS' letter unacceptable from a professional police officer - it is dismissive, insulting and one wonders if it should be referred to the GS Ombudsman. On my letter of refusal, the CS offered me the opportunity to discuss the matter further with him. I did not take him up on this offer, as it does not form part of the Appeal process laid down in law. I also was of opinion that any argument I made was unlikely to change his mind, especially when he had gone to print with his decision.

Once again we appear to have an example of the subjective implementation of aspects of firearms legislation. At the very least, it does not align with any of the mission statements on Garda correspondence.

quigley wrote: »
    "got a letter this morning from him stating he has denied my appeal to him and the licence stands refused , there is an offence of wasting police time, pity there isn't one of the police wasting our time ".

Taking you at your word, I find the reference to wasting police time in the CS' letter unacceptable from a professional police officer - it is dismissive, insulting and one wonders if it should be referred to the GS Ombudsman. On my letter of refusal, the CS offered me the opportunity to discuss the matter further with him. I did not take him up on this offer, as it does not form part of the Appeal process laid down in law. I also was of opinion that any argument I made was unlikely to change his mind, especially when he had gone to print with his decision.

Once again we appear to have an example of the subjective implementation of aspects of firearms legislation. At the very least, it does not align with any of the mission statements on Garda correspondence.

sorry quigley you misunderstand me , it was just a plain old refusal in the letter , the wasting time bit was my words , but the cs's attitude wasn't much better then you assumed, he wasn't far off offensive and wasn't masking his contempt much .

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

just wondering if any of the people who won their cases have been awarded costs also??? anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

As for the ombudsman, My father complained to the ombudsman, with very detailed information. Their reply was to the effect of. We dont deal with that sort of things, and quoted the Commissioners guidelines on the matter. My father sent them the guidelines in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

daveob007 wrote: »
    just wondering if any of the people who won their cases have been awarded costs also??? anyone??

You have to apply for costs to get them. It's usually done after the judgment is delivered. But to answer your question, none of the reports in the newspapers have mentioned it.

any developements in the courts recently ? i was in the district court yesterday and there were 2 others apart from me appealing pistol refusals too, any idea how many are appealing in the whole of the country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

2 x cases due in Sth Tipp next week

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

any developements in the courts recently ? i was in the district court yesterday and there were 2 others apart from me appealing pistol refusals too, any idea how many are appealing in the whole of the country ?

Im up next week but its only for a date I know of 22 cases that are to come before the courts in the louth/meath area there could be more

Ten down here in Limerick that I know of...Somtime this year!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

Im up next week but its only for a date I know of 22 cases that are to come before the courts in the louth/meath area there could be more

Do i take it from your username that you live in the meath division? If you dont mind me asking, what type of firearm were you refused? Was it the Chief Super in Navan that you were dealing with??

A friend of mine i shoot with was refused a licence for a smith and wesson 617 revolver today, he had gone through the trouble of getting a chamber blocked to reduce its capacity to 5 rounds ,
    The chief super informed him in the refusal letter that the gun was a restricted firearm , me thinks the gardai are chancing their arms !

Do i take it from your username that you live in the meath division? If you dont mind me asking, what type of firearm were you refused? Was it the Chief Super in Navan that you were dealing with??

1911 9mm cs from navan

A friend of mine i shoot with was refused a licence for a smith and wesson 617 revolver today, he had gone through the trouble of getting a chamber blocked to reduce its capacity to 5 rounds ,
    The chief super informed him in the refusal letter that the gun was a restricted firearm , me thinks the gardai are chancing their arms !

and the 617 is listed in the infamous annex F,I also think they are chancing there arms to see how much you really want your pistol taking advantage of the dreaded R word.the gas thing about it the criminals have all the firearms they want.licensing should be taken out of the gardai hands after the vetting has been done they are too bias to-wards them

Advertisement