Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage Against The Machine Dublin O2 June 8th 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PaulieBeef

Absolutely unbelivable gig!!:D:D. Being in my thirties, I thought my moshing days were well and truly over until last night - the shirt was off and I was jumping around like a loon 30 seconds into Testify, about 3 rows from the front barrier! Like being a 20 year old again:D.
    Great videos as well guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

Het-Field wrote: »
    Whether he knows it or not, the policy he proffers is pretty much in line with what was done in these countries. Hence we are faced with an insovency crisis.

You should really get in touch with Zack and explain to him the error of his ways...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

What. A. Show!

There's no words to describe it really! So I'm just gonna keep using exclamation marks!

Seriously though, from the start it was just unbelievable, I was in barely 10 minutes before I found myself in a wall of death, being 15 and only 5'11' it was pretty terrifying (t'was me first WOD) Got an elbow in the jaw that's rendered me mostly unable to chew today and kinda effed up my moshing for the rest of the night. Still though, the greatest show I've EVER been to!

My friend managed to loose both his shoes one at a time in the course of the Testify and Bombtrack, which was hilarious

Oh and I ran into MrPirate holding a shoe at the very end, which was cool

One of the stand out things about the night by far was the great crowd, everyone I ran into was more than friendly, with a minimal of pricks as far as I could tell.

So yeah. If you were there you know and if you weren't... haaaaate that!

P.s. SO worth failing English for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Keggers2 wrote: »
    One of the stand out things about the night by far was the great crowd, everyone I ran into was more than friendly, with a minimal of pricks as far as I could tell.

The crowd were very amazing. I got helped to put my shoe back on twice!

And Rage themselves... Wow. The only word I can think of is intense. It was spectacularly intense. Utter madness from beginning to end.

And I'm pretty sure my sternum is cracked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

What a gig!! Just one big moshpit from start to finish with no secruity around by us to spoil our fun. Came out drenched in sweat and have a load of bruises. The crowd was great, just aload of people really into the music. The asshole ratio was pretty low, although I did get hit with a converse near the end of the gig :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

What a gig!! Just one big moshpit from start to finish with no secruity around by us to spoil our fun. Came out drenched in sweat and have a load of bruises. The crowd was great, just aload of people really into the music. The asshole ratio was pretty low, although I did get hit with a converse near the end of the gig :confused:.

sorry:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Was it a longer set than the one in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

squire23 wrote: »
    If Zak de le Rocha had asked all 15,000 people to march on the Banks or the Israeli Embassy or anyone - they would have. that was the kinda vibe that was there last night. Just amazing.

Haha I actually said that line to my mate last night after the gig, what a show, loved every second of it, the place was rockin!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Not even calling last night the greatest gig even comes close to how amazing it was. It was my second time seeing Rage, and my god, it was so much better than Oxegen! We got TWO SPEECHES! Tears were shed repeatedly and frequently just by the pure beauty of their music.
    Myself and a friend were a bit worried (more so him, I was hellbent on getting downstairs) that because we had seated tickets, that we wouldn't get downstairs. They scanned the tickets... And we just walked in. xD Managed to get the the barricade (Tim's side) for the night. Cept I decided to go moshing for the Gallows (which I thought were absolutely amazing!). And the wall of death. ^_^ But I managed to get back up for Gogol. They were better than I thought! I had started to recently listen to them, and I like them. But wow! What a crowd mover! And SOMEHOW, the security guard after Gogol came over to me and asked was I into them? I said yeah, and he gave me the only plec that fell off the stage. They use Jim Dunlop .88s! D:
    When I heard the Guantanamo Siren, the chills went down my spine. It was just... Amazing. And then the ever classic "Good evening, we are Rage Against The Machine from Los Angelos California!" with the Testify intro. :') After Testify, I couldn't move at the front anymore, so I went back to spend the rest of the night moshing. Shockingly near the beginning, I saw very few pits despite my efforts. But then myself and another guy (I didn't catch his name) co-ordinated most of the larger pits towards the center. Pretty badly injured, but well worth it.

Without a doubt!

Oh and I ran into MrPirate holding a shoe at the very end, which was cool

I actually never found the guy who owned that shoe. >_<
    And thanks for saying hello! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

MrPirate wrote: »

I actually never found the guy who owned that shoe. >_<
    And thanks for saying hello! :D

Thanks for being who you said you were and not some creepy auld lad!

Whatcha do with the shoe in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself pretty well MrPirate :pac:
    I didn't see any che shirts though.
    My voice is completely gone today, but then I did see them just last Thursday at rock im park, it's quite frustrating watching back the vids and not being able to sing along :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Must of thrown it at some long hairwd guy in the pit! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Thanks for being who you said you were and not some creepy auld lad!

Haha, no problem! :D
    Well I kept walking around with it, looking for the dude who owned it (Despite talking to him minutes before, I couldn't remember what he looked like. :/ ) so I asked one of the security people about a lost and found, and they said it was by the box office. So I made my way there to be told that there was no lost and found. <_< So I left the shoe near one of the entrances next to another shoe on the wall of the box office. :P
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    Sounds like you enjoyed yourself pretty well MrPirate :pac:
    I didn't see any che shirts though.
    My voice is completely gone today, but then I did see them just last Thursday at rock im park, it's quite frustrating watching back the vids and not being able to sing along :mad:

Oh my yes. ^_^ Did you not? I was in the pit all night. Perhaps you were in the cue early enough to hear the chants of Spongebob/Pokemon/Bohemian Rhapsody, etc? Because that was us too. xD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

bearing in mind it was a free gig, they played in finsbury park for about 1 hr 15 max. that included a presentation to the facebook group guys.

trust me, london was awesome,dublin was awesome-r

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Oh my yes. ^_^ Did you not? I was in the pit all night. Perhaps you were in the cue early enough to hear the chants of Spongebob/Pokemon/Bohemian Rhapsody, etc? Because that was us too. xD

Oh hell yes :D
    If you saw me after you wouldn't ask!
    Tbh though people said that was intense, it was more intense in Nuremberg for me, got so many injuries at it there, still hurts to laugh. It was my 3rd time to see them and every time was mental, they're so good live.
    No I was kinda lazy, got there in the middle of Gallows, sure didn't matter anyway, still got very near.
    I lost my camera though, rang today just on the off chance it lived, no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

what a gig!!! they were way better than oxegen 2008. Such a good crowd, and to top it all off i met cormac form the answer walking around the standing area after the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Just one thing though, did any one aged between 18-19 have trouble getting a drink, they told me you had to be born in 1990 to get a drink?! Never heard of this policy before, but apart from that was a class gig!

Last I checked the law is 18. If you are under 20 you legally must have id at all times (being ONLY gardai age card, passport, drivers license) while drinking on a licensed premise which may have been what they were saying if you had no/other id.

An establishment can set any age limit they like above 18 as long as it is CLEARLY SIGNPOSTED and uniformly upheld (which means they can't suddenly change the age limit at a club to keep certain people out).

Good luck using any of that to your advantage. The Gardai won't intervene as it is not a criminal issue. Theoretically you could have the issue witnessed and then try sue them but try making a legal threat to a bouncer who is probably just obeying what his boss has told him and you won't get anywhere other than maybe thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Its on this link but the quality is poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_jNF-H15iE

Could someone who heard this speech give a quick synopsis, please! I picked up very little of it on the night and not much more from this link.

As for the gig EPIC!!!
    Great songs, great crowd, great energy, great sound and most importantly GREAT BAND!!!

Just on the crowd, I've been to many a gig in my time but that was one of the best most respectful and all round friendly crowds I have ever been a part of. I've never been so happy to receive a smack in the eye & have some random guy grab me by the arm and drag me across the pit. He ended up on his arse but we stopped and helped him up as is the law of the most-pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

That was seriously one of the best gigs I've ever been to and thats saying something!

I didn't think I'd be able to hack the moshing and was going to move towards the back but by the second song I was in the moshpit, hair wringing wet and had the biggest smile on my face! :D Couldn't hack the pit for too long but somehow kept finding myself in it more than once, laughing my head off the whole time!

Counting the war wounds this morning was something else though, jesus! Although that was nothing in comparison to the lads with the broken noses! And fair play to you guys who had an exam to sit this morning, I don't know how you did it!!

BTW sorry to all those in the que for the luas for jumping the barrier, after that performance I was feeling slightly... rebellious. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I was bang smack in the middle, on the rail for the whole night. My ribs are bruised, my back is fecked from people slamming me against the railing, and I got kicked in the head by several crowd surfers. Was it worth it?

Hell yeah it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

And SOMEHOW, the security guard after Gogol came over to me and asked was I into them? I said yeah, and he gave me the only plec that fell off the stage.

You had more luck than me. After the rage set I was by the barrier and got a roady's attention and signalled for a drum stick. I couldn't believe it but he picked one up and tossed it to me. I reached out but it bounced off the tip of my middle finger and landed on the ground over the security barrier in front of me. I leaned over to get it but a D!CKHEAD security guy got there before me and picked it up and walked off with it. I couldn't believe it. I was roaring at him as he was walking away but he just ignored me. Still sick over it. Lousiest thing I've seen in a looooooooong long time. Some @sshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Superb gig the other night, really enjoyed it even with the busted elbow & twisted ankle I got as souveneirs!! :D

And a cover of White Riot into the mix, dedicated to the legend that is Joe Strummer. Epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Mighty gig the other night, one of the best in years for me.

In my thirties but couldn't resist the urge to get up front and get stuck stuck in. Great crowd :D

Funny moment though was during a break in songs when about 10 people were all on the ground with lighters looking for a wedding ring in the middle of all the chaos..... glad to read here he found it.

Some reviews here, don't know what gig the Herald journalist Chris Wasser was at, must have been too busy making notes to actually review the gig.

http://www.drop-d.ie/archives/9716

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/going-out/first-night-rage-against-the-machine-2212841.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 owenbre

cython wrote: »
    Epic gig, but probably the best story I have from the night (if just for the oddity that it is) has to involve a random guy near me during Wake Up. I'd say he was never as happy to hear Zack giving a long political speech, because pretty much the whole way through said speech, and the consequently quietened song, the poor guy was crawling around on the ground looking for his wedding ring which had fallen off. About 5 seconds before Zack finished, and the music (and hence the crowd!) picked up, he found it, and thus managed to be back on his feet before everyone went mental again.

It sucked for him to lose it in the first place, and I really felt for the guy, but he has to be one of the luckiest SOBs ever to find it again at all on the floor within 15 rows of the front at an RATM concert, let alone for it to be timed like that!

Ha ha classic .... i am said lucky SOB and yes that was far too intense an experience to have to handle when pissed up and rockin' out to RATM,goes without saying i had an amazing nite .... and i'm still married WOO HOO!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

FlashD wrote: »
    Some reviews here, don't know what gig the Herald journalist Chris Wasser was at, must have been too busy making notes to actually review the gig.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/going-out/first-night-rage-against-the-machine-2212841.html

That's the Herald for ya. It's not even worth the paper it's printed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Still recovering from what was one of the best gigs I've been at in a long time.
    Been far too long from when I was in a proper mosh the place went metal.
    It was a joy to be a part of it, could have been louder mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

That Herald review is a shockingly bad example of music journalism. All we learn from it is that Mr Wasser doesn't particularly like Rage Against the Machine. Objectivity in non-existant and there's no real sense of what the gig was like. It reads like it was either premeditated or that the order for an unequivocally negative review came from editorial level (it happens).

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth:
    http://www.state.ie/2010/06/live-reviews/rage-against-the-machine-the-o2-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Haha, I was in college with that guy. Don't want to slander anyone so let's just say 'strange fish' who hung out with even stranger ones. :D What a pile of cock that 'review' is. Sound's like he wasn't even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

Not even calling last night the greatest gig even comes close to how amazing it was. It was my second time seeing Rage, and my god, it was so much better than Oxegen! We got TWO SPEECHES! Tears were shed repeatedly and frequently just by the pure beauty of their music.
    Myself and a friend were a bit worried (more so him, I was hellbent on getting downstairs) that because we had seated tickets, that we wouldn't get downstairs. They scanned the tickets... And we just walked in. xD Managed to get the the barricade (Tim's side) for the night. Cept I decided to go moshing for the Gallows (which I thought were absolutely amazing!). And the wall of death. ^_^ But I managed to get back up for Gogol. They were better than I thought! I had started to recently listen to them, and I like them. But wow! What a crowd mover! And SOMEHOW, the security guard after Gogol came over to me and asked was I into them? I said yeah, and he gave me the only plec that fell off the stage. They use Jim Dunlop .88s! D:
    When I heard the Guantanamo Siren, the chills went down my spine. It was just... Amazing. And then the ever classic "Good evening, we are Rage Against The Machine from Los Angelos California!" with the Testify intro. :') After Testify, I couldn't move at the front anymore, so I went back to spend the rest of the night moshing. Shockingly near the beginning, I saw very few pits despite my efforts. But then myself and another guy (I didn't catch his name) co-ordinated most of the larger pits towards the center. Pretty badly injured, but well worth it.

John! Hi, its Claire, I hung out with you in the que, small world! :D

Best.Gig.Ever. Was at the barrier for the whole thing, from start to finish, I've never been so squished in my whole life, 2 days on and I still can't breathe with the pain. My friend was only 14 and it was her first time ever in a mosh pit, she did so well to last the night, I think we were the only girls in the first few rows who didn't get pulled out.
    I' still in shock, I honestly can't believe how good it was, ****ing loved the Gallows(caught the bassists water bottle lol) and Gogol Bordello were amazing but nothing could come close to Rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

That Herald review is a shockingly bad example of music journalism. All we learn from it is that Mr Wasser doesn't particularly like Rage Against the Machine. Objectivity in non-existant and there's no real sense of what the gig was like. It reads like it was either premeditated or that the order for an unequivocally negative review came from editorial level (it happens).

Here's my two cents, for what it's worth:
    http://www.state.ie/2010/06/live-reviews/rage-against-the-machine-the-o2-dublin/
    That Herald review is unbelievable. Has to be one of the most baised, worse pieces of journalism in a long time. Like a huge number of other journalists, it shows up his limited knowledge of a band like Rage & of what they actually stand for. He's yet another in a line of journo's who thinks "oh, isn't it funny to see 15,000 people shouting along to 'F*uck you, I won't do what you tell me'" when they have obviously have no idea what the principle of the song actually stands for.

Chris Wasser - added to hit list. Check.

edit: Anyone know the email address to write to the Editor of the Herald - I actually feel strongly enough to write a response to this tripe later when I get home

Advertisement