Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help to format c partition because of corrupt OS

• 15-02-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

hi,
    when i tried to boot my c partition vista yesterday , i get a bsod which can only be seen for about a half a second and then the machine reboots and brings me to a repair process which i have followed to no avail, it says that windows can not be repaired automatically.
    i have downloaded a windows vista repair disc also and same result , i have tried to system restore from the hp repair options , i have tried last known good config , none of these options have worked.
    i am presuming somehow my vista OS has been corrupted.
    i have backed up my files using ubuntu so all is not lost.
    i cannot reload the OS as the sticker on the bottom of my laptop is worn and unreadable so i have no product key !.
    i have an old xp OS disc which i am considering loading to the c partition instead of the corrupt vista , but when i try to format the c partition to reload xp on there i am getting messages saying that the c partition cant be formatted ,

can anyone help me here as i have tried everything i can think of ,

thanks in advance

dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Sounds like the HDD might be the culprit here.

You could try do boot from Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) - and use the HDD tools from there to wipe/fix bad sectors/format the HDD.

http://www.dban.org/download

You burn the ISO to a CD and boot from that.

Can you boot into DOS even and try a DSKCHK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

the hdd is partitioned into 4 different partitions , the c partition is vista , the d and e partitions are hp recovery and tools partitions , and the other partition is a win 7 partition that i am using now , will the process that you advised also wipe my win 7 partition ??

thanks again and sorry for the late reply, im in oz !

daftdave wrote: »
    the hdd is partitioned into 4 different partitions , the c partition is vista , the d and e partitions are hp recovery and tools partitions , and the other partition is a win 7 partition that i am using now , will the process that you advised also wipe my win 7 partition ??

thanks again and sorry for the late reply, im in oz !

You can delete any partitions you want.

Once a partition has been deleted, it can be made into a new partition and formatted.

So, you could delete all 3 of the other partitions, and make those into 1 larger partition if you like, or indeed, delete all 4 partitions and start from scratch.

Do you have the Win 7 disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

You can delete any partitions you want.

Once a partition has been deleted, it can be made into a new partition and formatted.

So, you could delete all 3 of the other partitions, and make those into 1 larger partition if you like, or indeed, delete all 4 partitions and start from scratch.

Do you have the Win 7 disk?
    no i dont have a win 7 disc , i wish i had !!!.......

formatting the 3 partitions and making them into one sounds like the way forward and then reload xp on there until i save a few bob and purchase win 7 outright.

i will try the process that you outlined in your first reply and report how i get on ,

thanks again for your help !!

daftdave wrote: »
    no i dont have a win 7 disc , i wish i had !!!.......

formatting the 3 partitions and making them into one sounds like the way forward and then reload xp on there until i save a few bob and purchase win 7 outright.

i will try the process that you outlined in your first reply and report how i get on ,

thanks again for your help !!

No problem.

Can you boot into the WIn 7 partition? (I take it you can).

If so, if you go into computer management > disk management, you can delete the other partitions form there and create 1 larger partition and format it.

This way you'll keep your Win 7 partition, but have the rest of the drive as another free partition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Windows7Guy

Hello daftdave,
    Have you tried downloading the Windows 7 -RTM?
    RTM -Release to Manufacture -90days
    The product key is "baked in" for the Windows 7 Enterprise 90 day evaluation. The Win 7 Enterprise Evaluation is a 90-day trial is now available to help you test and evaluate the final, released to manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7 Enterprise. Designed specifically for IT professionals, this 90-day trial is offered in English, Spanish, French, German, and Japanese. If you would like to try it now, please go here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/default.aspx?pv=36:350
    At least if you could download that you would get the tools for deleting the partitions :-)
    John M
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

Advertisement