Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keeping my mobile phone number.

• 15-02-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

hi
    my contract with 3 expires on friday, and im holding off on getting a new phone until i see what offers are out there.
    my question is how long will my old number be available for me to port accross to my new service provider when the time comes? hopefully it doesnt die this friday...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

When the contract expires, they don't cut service. They continue providing bill-pay service until you say stop, basically. After Friday you are free to leave whenever you want, but you could stay on 3 for the next 20 years if you chose to.

If you choose to upgrade to a new phone from 3, then you will re-enter into a fixed term (usually another 12 months) contract. So there is nothing you need to do before Friday, just let the contract run out. Once its gone, they say you will need to give them 30 days notice before you move, but in the past I've ported to another network and 3 will just send you a final bill

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you are planning to move but holding out the it would be advisable to move to the lowest plan first to reduce the final bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

i meant to say that i had contacted 3 last month to tell them to terminate the account on the 19th of this month....so as far as im aware, my phone wont connect to a network after that point... does that leave me any options for porting that number later.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

does that leave me any options for porting that number later.

No, the number will be gone.
    If I were you I'd phone Three today and get my PAC, then transfer the number to a Pay as you go. That gives you time to decide the best deal for you.
    Or you could ask Three to undo the cancellation or they may be able to change you over to Three pay as you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

MarkK wrote: »
    No, the number will be gone.
    If I were you I'd phone Three today and get my PAC, then transfer the number to a Pay as you go. That gives you time to decide the best deal for you.
    Or you could ask Three to undo the cancellation or they may be able to change you over to Three pay as you go.

I wouldn't even chance it, they're the most incompetent network, if he leaves it until the 19th he'll have lost his number, I recommend he ports the number to a prepay on another network until he decides what network he'll take. that way hes not going to lose his number or take the chance of it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I wouldn't even chance it, they're the most incompetent network, if he leaves it until the 19th he'll have lost his number, I recommend he ports the number to a prepay on another network until he decides what network he'll take. that way hes not going to lose his number or take the chance of it...

Agree with this. I'd go to the nearest mobile shop to you, doesnt matter what network it is and port to pay as you go now. That will keep your number alive. I wouldnt trust 3 with only four days left. Once you've ported to another network, your number will be safe. It shouldnt cost you anything and will give you time to decide where you want to go from there. The only issue is if your phone is locked to three, you will need an unlocked phone to use in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I wouldn't even chance it, ... if he leaves it until the 19th he'll have lost his number, I recommend he ports the number to a prepay on another network until he decides what network he'll take. that way hes not going to lose his number or take the chance of it...

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was recommending the same thing.

Thanks for the information all...looks like ill have to head in to town afer all.....:o

Thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 keep your number for 3 months to port out once the account is deactivated.

ported over to vodafone today, on a pay as you go sim, which should be active tomorrow, 3 will be sending me on the unlock code for the phone tomorrow also...so i should be good to go...

thanks for all the help people... :) much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

Hey

My contract with 3 is not up until October but I am have now just had enough of their bad service and want out I understand I have to pay for this privilige.

I want to port my existing number to another network and pay the remaining balance of the contract to three but they tell me i cant do this as the number is their property unitl the end of my contract.

Anyone any idea of a way around this. I was under the impression I could just port over and when 3 send me their final bill the charge for terminating the contract would be inculded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Glyni wrote: »
    I was under the impression I could just port over and when 3 send me their final bill the charge for terminating the contract would be inculded.

That is the rules. You would think they would know these by now :rolleyes: Maybe a ploy to keep you longer :D

Ring them again and tell them you are cancelling, and want your final bill. They do need 30 days notice, and thats in their T&C's that you signed up to. If they are still giving you hassle, go with a written letter. From whatever day you give notice, the contract will be cancelled 30 days later.

Advertisement