Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every Actor Makes At Least One Bad Movie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

uggy wrote: »
    I give you Tom Hanks... Forest Gump, the Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Stories, Cast-Away, the Terminal, Appolo 13 spring to mind for me.

As in 'they are good films'?.. if so.. Cast-Away and The Terminal... seriously?

roshant wrote: »
    what about movies only worth because of great acting ?
    The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans (2009) Nicolas Cage's superb performance

It's actually a very good film which is made worthwhile by the fun script, Herzog's involvement and a general sense of fun. Cage is good but there are more reasons to watch the film than his involvement.
    coz great actors simply just cant act badly

Depp has made some pretty poor film with poor performances. He hasn't acted in about a decade and his last truly great performance was Ed Wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 roshant

It's actually a very good film which is made worthwhile by the fun script, Herzog's involvement and a general sense of fun. Cage is good but there are more reasons to watch the film than his involvement.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972) Herzog's masterpiece also kind of messy at first then it ended like a true masterpiece .
    i think cage did a great job there in bad L. movie.which is also messy at times.

Tom Hanks is always good in movies. Now I know he done plenty of "chick flicks" and I personally didnt like the DaVinci Code (didn't see Angels and Demons and dont plan on), but he was good where the movie was bad.

I give you Tom Hanks... Forest Gump, the Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Toy Stories, Cast-Away, the Terminal, Appolo 13 spring to mind for me.

add Road to Perdition (2002) as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭uggy

trustno1 wrote: »

Yup they're good movies. I really dugg Cast-Away and I thought he was great in the Terminal ("Sensible Shoes?"), very funny, very likable in that.

• Advertisement

Cast-Away is hugely under rated !

Fact. I don't like when people say stuff like "Oh its just him and theres no talknig for half the movie". For real, like? He was alone on a desert, what did you think was gonna happen? Coconut theme parks? A smoke monster?

When he made fire and when he lost Wilson you really felt for him, quality show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A quick wiki later....

Budget $90 million Gross revenue $429,632,142
    And was received well. It's not my type of movie at all but I thought Hanks was great in the role and the movie was interesting enough.

Depp has made some pretty poor film with poor performances. He hasn't acted in about a decade and his last truly great performance was Ed Wood.

I would agree with that to a point - I also thought he was excellent in Fear and Loathing and Donnie Brasco. But after that he gave in and became 'commerical'.. but I do have a soft spot for Sweeny Todd...

And you have to really like Tom Hanks to enjoy Cast-Away and I do like him in certain films - but I felt Cast-Away was just toooo long.. but I can see why it did well.

I would agree with that to a point - I also thought he was excellent in Fear and Loathing and Donnie Brasco. But after that he gave in and became 'commerical'.. but I do have a soft spot for Sweeny Todd...

Depp is nearly always watchable but he's been playing the same character for far too long. He needs to sever ties with Burton for a bit and try some real acting. Would love to see him in something like Brasco again, something in which he stretches his rather than phoning it in.

There is one actor who was never in a bad film, John Cazale. Granted he only made 5 films but had he lived he would more than likely been up there with Pacino and De Niro in the all time greats.

Most actors would die for a CV like his.
    The Deer Hunter
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Godfather: Part II
    The Conversation
    The Godfather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

And you have to really like Tom Hanks to enjoy Cast-Away and I do like him in certain films - but I felt Cast-Away was just toooo long.. but I can see why it did well.

Add "Blow" to that. :D He seems to be playing a slightly reworked version of Jack Sparrow in half of the movies he's in. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Tom Hanks in Joe Versus the Volcano - really bad stuff, although mainly the subject rather than the actor

Bruce Willis in Hudson Hawk - rubbish on most counts really and he sleptwalked through it.

Jodie Foster in Nell - overacted all the way. It was self conscious and 'worthy' and just unlikeable as a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

tomissex wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Michael Caine but then I remembered he was in Bewitched...

And Miss Congeniality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

There is one actor who was never in a bad film, John Cazale. Granted he only made 5 films but had he lived he would more than likely been up there with Pacino and De Niro in the all time greats.

Most actors would die for a CV like his.
    The Deer Hunter
    Dog Day Afternoon
    The Godfather: Part II
    The Conversation
    The Godfather

Ah yes, but the use of his archive footage in Godfather III counts against him. :)

But seriously, I think he's as close as you're going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

daniel day lewis?

Giselle wrote: »
    Tom Hanks in Joe Versus the Volcano - really bad stuff, although mainly the subject rather than the actor

Thats an important point, sometimes the actor can be good but the movie bad. ie Day Lewis in Gangs.

daniel day lewis?

cant remember daniel day lewis's bad performance .havent cn 9 though ..

Thats an important point, sometimes the actor can be good but the movie bad. ie Day Lewis in Gangs.

what do u mean?did u say Gangs of New York (2002) is bad? i disagree .
    i cant remember any movie directed by Martin Scorsese is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas....oh wait I got this the wrong way around.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Tom Hanks is always good in movies. Now I know he done plenty of "chick flicks" and I personally didnt like the DaVinci Code (didn't see Angels and Demons and dont plan on), but he was good where the movie was bad.

even before his best actor wins when his career really kicked off, he had been in some good films: i thought Big and The Money Pit were excellent. Joe Vs the Volcano was sh!t but he was good in it.

Absolutely no excuses for The Terminal though.

• Advertisement

even before his best actor wins when his career really kicked off, he had been in some good films: i thought Big and The Money Pit were excellent. Joe Vs the Volcano was sh!t but he was good in it.

Actually he did a good job in terminal also i guess!!

How about Viggo Mortensen? and before ye all jump in with 28 days - I actually enjoyed that :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

How about Viggo Mortensen? and before ye all jump in with 28 days - I actually enjoyed that :D

I liked 28 Days too. But GI Jane and Daylight would exclude him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Chuck Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I may be wrong but usually if a film stars Clint Eastwood, then it's worth watching!

I was also gona to say Denzel Washinton but iv heard the Book of Eli is supposed to be absolute dribble!

As for Jodie Foster, i thought contact was a poor movie.
    Clint eastwood? Bloodworks. Awful Mcarnicle style thriller .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

what about john cusack. I found him likable in everything he was in. Yes i did see 2012

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Michael Fassbender had a pretty great run until Blood Creak/Town Creak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Ziedth. wrote: »
    I think christian bale has never done an awful movie to the level of De Niro or Say Sam Jackson. I know reign of fire and terminator weren't great or even good but they weren't really bad either imo

Christian Bale was in Shaft.Which was sh*t.
    TheManWho wrote: »
    'll go with Ralph Fiennes, he a consistantly good filmography.

He is in the Harry Potter films.Which are sh*t.

What about Fear & Loathing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I thought he did an OK job in The Terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

TheManWho wrote:
    I'll go with Ralph Fiennes, he a consistantly good filmography.
    He is in the Harry Potter films.Which are sh*t.

But he's good in it though....

Advertisement