Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lambing question

• 15-02-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone came accross this sport of issue before?

our ewes normally start lambing around jan 1st, this has worked away every year and we expected the same again this year. we let the ram out the august bank holiday and as it is his second season we just presumed that he would work away as expected. but when it came to lambing time we had nothing until feb 5th, now normally our lambing rate would be around the 1.3 or there abouts but with 5 ewes lambed we have 10 lambs, which is great but unusal.

anyone elses lambing delayed or having high lambing rate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

might have something to do with the weather we had last year:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

say the weather was the effect of that..
    ewes fed the same? they in gd order--dosed etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tedandbetty

wiggy123 wrote: »
    say the weather was the effect of that..
    ewes fed the same? they in gd order--dosed etc...

ewes were in good order and well fed, i did think the waether might have someting to do with it but if thats the case others should be experienceing the same issue..
    the good thing is that 8 of the 10 lambes are pedigree, wihich is all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭metalwood

Ive had the same problem, New Vendeen ram bought at the premier sale let out 1st Aug and only starting lambing 20th Feb very unusual also a lot of singles this year normally have 1.7 average so far only 1.2 .......i hope it gets better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

metalwood wrote: »
    Ive had the same problem, New Vendeen ram bought at the premier sale let out 1st Aug and only starting lambing 20th Feb very unusual also a lot of singles this year normally have 1.7 average so far only 1.2 .......i hope it gets better :)

Hello,

Seeing similar as well. Altho while they are a bit late they're not too bad.

But a lot of singles - average is 1.3 so far.... last year it was just about 1.7.

We didn't do anything different - sheep were dosed, fed, etc same as other years... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

the late lambing could be a result of the ram being temporarily infertile due to injury or an infection which can raise his body temperture, some breeds of sheep will breed all year round others will come in season when the weather gets cooler, i have often noticed with my own sheep that a lot of the singles will lamb first and by the time the triplets start lambing there are very few freshly lambed singles to foster lambs onto , not lambing until the 15th of march so still getting all my sleep:), ewes have scanned well at 1.9 with only two dry ,i gave them some seaweed before and during mating which i think is a help, best of luck with the lambing to all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

We have two less ewes than last year, we still have 4 ewes to lamb and are only 2 lambs off the amount last year. lambing period seems to be accurate except we had a 10 day premature set of lambs. Then we have some ewes that just lamb late every year.

Advertisement