Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB - €11,000 as final bill?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Victor wrote:
    I think the ESB might also have some responsibility with the 2007 meter reading and I wonder if they would be willing to do a deal on that.

I really hope so Victor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FredH3ad

This sounds like a total windup :rolleyes: Has the OP posted an image of the final bill?

bill.jpg

If only it was a wind up!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lupo_solitario

You need to contact Esb Networks ,Your meter takes readings for your address , But the esb sub station for your area knows how many units it has used in the area they can use this to find out if readings are beening falsified in areas , over time they know how many units are been used in a grid if the payment recieved is less then area usage they normally send in their technicians to look at your meter , to see if seals are intact .Normally the ESB are very easy to talk to and very helpful in this regard ,that has to be a major glich normally for a house a spike in that amount of usage would bring a visit from an esb spark especially if it happens over a short period its basically industrial usage So they will notice the spike in the usage and the area ,Hope everything works out for you and you can sort this out with them :)

You need to contact Esb Networks ,Your meter takes readings for your address , But the esb sub station for your area knows how many units it has used in the area they can use this to find out if readings are beening falsified in areas , over time they know how many units are been used in a grid if the payment recieved is less then area usage they normally send in their technicians to look at your meter , to see if seals are intact .Normally the ESB are very easy to talk to and very helpful in this regard ,that has to be a major glich normally for a house a spike in that amount of usage would bring a visit from an esb spark especially if it happens over a short period its basically industrial usage So they will notice the spike in the usage and the area ,Hope everything works out for you and you can sort this out with them :)

Thanks, they're being very helpful to try and resolve the issue. I'm awaiting the outcome of a meter test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

{^Syntax^} wrote: »
    Thanks, they're being very helpful to try and resolve the issue. I'm awaiting the outcome of a meter test.

Why don't we all wait for the outcome of the investigation rather than jump in with both feet!

Why don't we all wait for the outcome of the investigation rather than jump in with both feet!

We're just discussing the issue but it has me very scared as they seem confident they are correct, but yes it's probably best to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Sounds like a scam to me. I believed you until you started asking other people to pay your ESB bill for you.

I don't feel like paying my electricity, gas or broadband bill, maybe I'll start a website where people can give me some free money too.

You used €11,000 + estimated bills worth of electricity, so you have to pay for it. Take some responsibility.

I'm sorry to all that think it's a scam and you can stop reading the thread if you like...

The whole thing just has me so scared that I thought I'd set up a site to generate some revenue to help with it... by advertising and adding a paypal button.

If you were in my situation you'd be frightened too.. The whole thing just has me very disheartened.

Thanks to all who have been supportive thus far, offered sound advice and to the gentleman who contacted me from the ESB to help..

For anyone who does doubt this situation, I can assure you it's very real. I'm not only setting up a site I'm also considering taking up a second job to prepare for the possibility of the bill being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Out of curiosity, how much has been donated to the cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

To be honest, I cannot see that you will be liable for the full amount if any. I think that the majority of the error will be left with the ESB, espicially the amount owed from the date the meter reading was taken in 2007 as that would have been a sign there was a problem, and noted that the reading was an error they should have confirmed this by sending out another person to check the reading. Still no harm to have your solicitor involved as early as possible.

Nothing donated yet.. And I don't have any adverts on the site yet either so at the moment it's acting as more of a blog rather than a revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

You should stop asking for money now until you have gone through the whole investigation process with ESB and all other appeals/negotiations have been exhausted.

There is something fishy about this. You only got the bill 5 days ago and you have an appeal website and blog up and running already? Hmmm:cool:

yourblog wrote:
    On the morning of February 17th, 2010, I received an ESB bill for €11,000.

But you started this thread on the 15th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I've been following this and agree with the last couple of posters that it's all a bit odd.

You started this thread on the 15th, asking about your rights.
    You registered evilsb.com on the 15th.

All a bit quick. Would you not agree?

I was told on the phone before the bill came. Yes I do see how it would look like something dodgey was going on but I've never been more honest about anything in my life.. I'm just panicing. I was told about the bill on Fri 12th and started the thread on the 15th - The actual bill wasn't made available to me until the 17th.

The site was made from some free template I found online and I just added the text. It only took a few hours and I have a background in web design. I'm not trying to scam people out of money.

I'm not doubting the speed at which you could create a simple website. What I find suspicious is the speed at which you decided to create a website ans start asking for money when it still in the very early stages of investigation.

What happens if they rectify your bill, will you give all the money back? What if they say you overpaid your bill, will you share your overpayment with everyone who helped you?

Clearly you should remove the paypal request until the investigation is finalised and your solictor is satisfied that you are liable to pay. Will you do this now?

As I said on my site I was going to donate it to charity! I'll get rid of the pay pal reference but I just thought, worst case scenario, where I actually have to fork out €11,000 - This may help. On the other hand, I can understand how it'd seem like a total scam. I'm sorry for that - It's just the worst feeling in the world to have something like this hanging over me!

I also agree that I am jumping the gun and the meter hasn't been inspected yet and further investigation is pending. But the fact that I have the bill makes it very real for me. Why would the ESB issue a bill if they believed it was incorrect?

When they told me I was owed €4000 I believed that and was delighted, a chunk off my loans and some happy old friends! But I never got the cheque. I went -€15,000 in one phone call..

What I find suspicious is the speed at which you decided to create a website ans start asking for money when it still in the very early stages of investigation..

The investigation has been going on since Dec/Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AmieMamie

How do you think the ESB are going to react when they find out you have a website flaming them for something that has not been fully investigated??

Very bad move, and you have lost my sympathy :(

Trying to get others to hand over their hard earned cash was also a very bad move. I for one am no longer interested in this thread :mad:

Bye!

• Advertisement

I didn't think it'd get such a bad reaction. I'm not flaming anyone at all. If you read the site it starts with saying 'this is not a site to flame the ESB' - They are being very helpful as I've always said and I'll put something up on the blog to state the same.

It's not about flaming the ESB. My two reasons for setting up the blog are

1) Generate revenue to help pay the bill using adverts / donations
    2) Inform others so that they wouldn't fall into the same trap I did.

If it turns out I owe the ESB €11,000 in full I'll pay it (over an extended period). I'm not trying to avoid responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It does appear that you may well be responsible for the bill (ie. it's not that unreasonable all things considered.

My bill would be aprox €80 per month for a standard, reasonably well insulated 2 bed apartment (2 people). That would not include heating and very little wastage of power.

€120 per month for 4 people in what appears to be a old, poorly maintained (and no doubt poorly insulted) house is ridiculously low.

If indeed you are found to be responsible, I would follow Victor's advice above. Investigate if faulty wiring was at fault, and if the landlord has some responsibility for this www.threshold.ie may advise you on this.

This is an excerpt from their website:
    Your landlord must, by law, ensure that your home complies with certain minimum standards (e.g. free from damp, in good structural repair, hot and cold water, adequate means of heating and ventilation, appliances in good working order, electrical wiring, gas, pipes in good repair). If your home does not comply with these standards, report it to your local authority or the Private Residential Tenancies Board. An inspection will be carried out and the landlord ordered to do any necessary repairs. Contact Threshold, the Private Residential Tenancies Board or your local authority for further advice.

Also try to negotiate a discount from the ESB due to the fact their 2007 reading was not flagged adequately to remedy the situation much earlier. They should offer a discount as a token gesture due to the fact they did not question the reading and simply ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I didn't think it'd get such a bad reaction. I'm not flaming anyone at all. If you read the site it starts with saying 'this is not a site to flame the ESB' - They are being very helpful as I've always said and I'll put something up on the blog to state the same.

It's not about flaming the ESB. My two reasons for setting up the blog are

1) Generate revenue to help pay the bill using adverts / donations
    2) Inform others so that they wouldn't fall into the same trap I did.

If it turns out I owe the ESB €11,000 in full I'll pay it (over an extended period). I'm not trying to avoid responsibility.

If you recieve donations to pay a bill then you'll have to pay tax on it AFAIK.

If you recieve donations to pay a bill then you'll have to pay tax on it AFAIK.

I'm working on a way to publicly declare any donations on the site and I'll pay tax on them if I get any. I haven't received any yet and I'm not sure if the button is even working as I haven't tested it. It's a free paypal account.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Also try to negotiate a discount from the ESB due to the fact their 2007 reading was not flagged adequately to remedy the situation much earlier. They should offer a discount as a token gesture due to the fact they did not question the reading and simply ignored it.

Thank you for the tip. This is certainly a point that needs to be recognised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fnergg wrote: »
    Assuming the reading of 71109 was taken mid way in 2007: that would give a daily average consumption for the 2.5 year period Jan 05 to June 07 of 44 units.

Likewise, the average daily consumption for the period June 07 to Jan 10 was 57 units.

The average daily usage for the 5 year period was 50 units.

Definitely high. Possibly contributed to by an electrical problem (as I've suggested previously) - although to have such a consistent high consumption would suggest that it was just plain old high consumption of electricity. There were, after all, 4 adults in occupation.

This is certainly a colossal load.
    It's the equivalent of having a kettle boiling 24/7 ...... or the immersion constantly left on.
    I'd find it hard to justify that number of units even with 4 people in the house.
    There would have to be TVs on in every room and a load 50W spot lights used to light up the place. Even then, it's a very large load.

For something like that, it screams faulty immersion to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's not about flaming the ESB.

So why did you give the website a name that reads as Evil (E)SB ?

Jip wrote: »
    So why did you give the website a name that reads as Evil (E)SB ?

It's just a play on words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This thread is turning to cr*p. The OP has a query with ESB (who we know will not stiff him for €11k). He is waiting on a response and starts a website to seek donations towards the bill. ESB will not be pleased! Also, who the heck would give a donation or even advertise on that site?:confused:

I'm out of this one!

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    This is certainly a colossal load.
    It's the equivalent of having a kettle boiling 24/7 ...... or the immersion constantly left on.
    I'd find it hard to justify that number of units even with 4 people in the house.
    There would have to be TVs on in every room and a load 50W spot lights used to light up the place. Even then, it's a very large load.

For something like that, it screams faulty immersion to me!

The problem with that is it'd have to be verified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement