Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting External Hard Drive

• 15-02-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a new 1TB WD external hard drive last week, and transferred all the stuff from my old 500GB HDD over, plus stuff from my laptop.

Trouble is, I want to be able to play media files etc on my PS3 through the external, but it won't recognise it. I think I need to format it in fat32 or something. So does this mean I have to sort through everything I've already transferred and put it back on the laptop and 500gb external?

I haven't deleted the stuff from the 500gb external but since I put stuff from the laptop on it, it's over 500gb so I'd have to sort through it all to put what I took from the laptop back. I'm just wondering if there's an easier way around it all

And if I did format it as fat32, will this affect it's connectivity to the laptop? I've already installed the software with it on the laptop as it is

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah, was hoping I wouldn't have to sort through all my files again but, if it has to be done it has to be done I suppose. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You can't format a volume larger than 32 Gb with fat32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Also with FAT32 you can't have files bigger than 2GB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Also with FAT32 you can't have files bigger than 2GB

I'm pretty sure it's 4gb, however if that's a problem you can format to HFS+ one of the mac file systems which gets around all that and allows you to play HD media with out having to file split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's 4gb, however if that's a problem you can format to HFS+ one of the mac file systems which gets around all that and allows you to play HD media with out having to file split.

Dont think the PS3 reads HFS dude

• Advertisement
Advertisement