Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue With Refund to Laser Card

Options
  • 15-02-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi folks

I have a question its something i'm not totally sure about but i think i may have been ripped off!! On Saturday nite i was staying in a hotel at dublin airport, i left the room for a few moments having only been their for about an hour when i returned my key card wouldn't work in the door i returned to reception and was givin another card this also failed to open the door after trailing up and down to the 5th floor 6 times with no joy i insisted someone come up from the reception to see what the problem was, it turned out the battery was dead in the door and a manintace crew would have to be called to open the room i was annoyed over this as my hand bag and jacket were still in the room, i was also annoyed as i had ran up and down 6 times b4 anyone could tell me the problem in the end i said i wanted to leave and asked for a refund i had paid the amount €109 on my laser card and it was refunded onto my laser card the reciept i was givin for the refund said "void" on it not refund,
    currently their is still a hold for the amount €109 on my bank account, does the amount have to first be taken from my account b4 it can be refunded back onto my account, or should the reciept have said refund rather then void?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would guess that the hold will be released at the end of business today.

If they "void" the transaction, then it should be released once processed through the bank system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

Sounds like a pretty crummy hotel. Hope you found a nicer one in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

given that this is more about laser card refunds than a consumer issue.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ciara 2

Hi folks

I have a question its something i'm not totally sure about but i think i may have been ripped off!! On Saturday nite i was staying in a hotel at dublin airport, i left the room for a few moments having only been their for about an hour when i returned my key card wouldn't work in the door i returned to reception and was givin another card this also failed to open the door after trailing up and down to the 5th floor 6 times with no joy i insisted someone come up from the reception to see what the problem was, it turned out the battery was dead in the door and a manintace crew would have to be called to open the room i was annoyed over this as my hand bag and jacket were still in the room, i was also annoyed as i had ran up and down 6 times b4 anyone could tell me the problem in the end i said i wanted to leave and asked for a refund i had paid the amount €109 on my laser card and it was refunded onto my laser card the reciept i was givin for the refund said "void" on it not refund,
    currently their is still a hold for the amount €109 on my bank account, does the amount have to first be taken from my account b4 it can be refunded back onto my account, or should the reciept have said refund rather then void?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ciara 2

I Just went home in the end was fed up and the hotel in question still had a hold of the funds on my laser card,
    hopefully i do recieve the refund and its just an issue with slow banking

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The hold on your funds would be there from when the hotel originally put the transaction through. When they void it off, their terminal sends info to the bank's systems to say that the funds are not required and to release them. This is where it sometimes gets messy - depending on what way the retailer/hotel/merchant operate their systems, it can sometimes take up to 5 working days for the message to get through to the bank, so they will remove the hold from your funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Consumer Issues from DCN. HB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The refund may take a day or two to show up. Keep your receipt from the refund. If in doubt, call your bank.

Have they no elevators?
    Could they not have put you in another room?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If it said 'void' on it, it means the transaction (the refund) did not complete successfully and the refund wasn't processed. It should say something like 'refund' or 'credit' on the receipt. Ring the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ciara 2 wrote: »
    Hi folks

Does the "void" receipt have the same number as the origional "sale" receipt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'd read it as the original sale was voided. Most places would do that if the sale was the same day.

The hold on your account is probably the bank being slightly slower on the uptake.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Laser card voids take an exceptionally long time to process, when an amount is held on a Laser card it would show up immediately as a charge unlike credit cards. The merchant would not actually have any of the money transferred into their account at this stage and it is only held by the bank so as the funds will be available if the charge needs to be made. If the charge is not required the transaction can be voided, from experience it can take up to 2 weeks or sometimes more for a void on a laser card to show up on the account.

Advertisement