Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cab hook up

• 15-02-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey All,

I was wondering if i could hook up a 4x12 cab up to a Marshall mg100? If so, do i need to be wary on which cab type i use with it, or is it utterly hopeless?

Cheers,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I presume you're talking about the 1x12" combo. There should be no issue in connecting a 4x12", but you'll need to disconnect the internal speaker.

The manual says:
    "MG100FX 1x12" & 2x12" Combos
    The single Loudspeaker socket (22) is used to connect either the internal speaker or an external speaker cabinet to the unit’s power amp. When using external cabinets ensure the total load impedance is equal to, or exceeds, 4 ohms."

"Always use a non-screened Marshall approved speaker lead when connecting an extension cabinet to these amplifiers."

If it's like this one (http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/MG4%20hbk%202%20Eng.pdf), you'll just unplug it and connect the cab to it using speaker cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MarkDPC

Cheers Dude, Would you be able to recommend a cab or any that exceed 4 omhs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Most 4x12 cabs will be more than 4 ohms. Usually 8 or 16 ohms. You could have a look at Marshall's MG range of cabs, or I've heard that the Thomann Harley Benton ones that have Celestions in them are decent enough. Any you look at will have the ohm rating written on them at the back. Any you see online should tell you what the rating is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

MarkDPC wrote: »
    Hey All,

I was wondering if i could hook up a 4x12 cab up to a Marshall mg100? If so, do i need to be wary on which cab type i use with it, or is it utterly hopeless?

Cheers,
    Mark.

Any cab rated 100 watts or above will do.
    SS amps don't care about the attached load as long as it exceeds 4 ohms.
    In fact they're usually happy with no load, which is effectivley the same as a super high load.
    The only difference is power delivered. SS will deliver more power to a 4 ohm load.

Advertisement