Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to play for Boardeaux? - Summer Season 2010

• 15-02-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

WTF is Boardeaux?

The Boards.ie Football team of course.

Eh? Where do you play?

We play on the Southside of Dublin, in a few different places, including Wesley College, Three Rock Rovers ground, St Colmcille's School in Knocklyon, St Columbas School in Rathfarnham, Blackrock College etc.

We play in the www.astro.ie Leagues, eleven a side.

We play on Monday or Tuesday nights (mostly Tuesday hopefully)

Are you good?

Yes, we are a decent football team, who do quite well. We've come second in the last two seasons, and kind of look like doing the same again this Winter.

What that means is that we are looking for players to push us on to a first place finish.

Will I get a game?

If you are good enough, yes you will, Simple.

I usually have a squad of about 18-20 lads, covering injuries holidays and that.

Sounds good, how do I sign up?

First, I'll need to see you playing.

Here is a list of our remaining fixtures, so come to one of them, or there will be friendlies arranged in the close season.

Keep an eye on the forum for announcements regarding them.

If you are interested you can post in this thread, or PM me.

Tell me your position, that's the most important thing, I don't want someone turning up for a game who is a right winger, and me sticking them on at left back and me thinking they are shít.

Please do not tell me "I'll play anywhere really". You must have a preferred position.

Thanks for reading,

Des

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone else interested?

If you're left footed you are of particular interest to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Des wrote: »

I've two left feet ;) but then you already know that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Anyone else interested?

Guessing no-one volunteered for that position. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Guessing no-one volunteered for that position. :D

Is that a hand?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Is that a hand?
    Left side not my best position :D

• Advertisement

Left side not my best position :D

What position is?

I'm sure Des could always accomodate a student of the game such as yourself.

Is that a hand?

hurry up and come home man. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah Xavi, where's the dedication?

Fecking Citeh mercenary...

I think I'm heading into my last season here by the looks of things so probably won't be too much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think I'm heading into my last season here by the looks of things so probably won't be too much longer.

:rolleyes: We've heard that before.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: We've heard that before.

Heh, true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Pity this is all based on the south side, i'd give it a shot but traffic after work crossing the city is a bollox...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Please do not tell me "I'll play anywhere really". You must have a preferred position.

way to rule out the lads who only play astro a couple of times a week ;) but then again, we probably wouldnt be good enough anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i would be interested, what times do the games/training normally start at?

can play anywhere across the back...

i would be interested, what times do the games/training normally start at?

can play anywhere across the back...

Sorry, no Liverpool fans :pac:

OK, we don't really have any training, the basis of this team and league as a whole is a social game of football, managed in a league competition. Most of my current players fall into the following categories

a. already play grass football at the weekend and train with their team, on nights that don't clash with us

b. have a family and can't commit to a full time grass team set up (training twice a week, and a game at the weekend)

c. Lads who want a competitive game of ball, but none of the hassle of a full time grass set-up.

Our games will be taking place on a Tuesday evening, starting mid-April and going on for 18 to 20 weeks. There is also a knock out cup competition which runs on Friday nights, so that could mean just one Friday if we lose in the first round (we've never been knocked in the 1st round of the cup btw), or seven Fridays if we made it to the final. The league games will take place in Wesley College in Dundrum, and kick off times will vary between 19:15 up to 22:15 (each team normally has 4 late kick offs afaik), and last for 1 Hour.

If you are intersted in joining up, then have a look at the Team Forum, stickied in there is our fixture list for the Winter 2009/10 season, which is currently running, we have 3 games left, taking us up to mid-March. If you can make it to one of them games, let me know, as we are at the stage where we can use the remaining games as "try out" games. I can, and will, be using new players in them games.

After the season ends, we will organise friendlies for the four close season weeks, I will try my hardest to get them on a Tuesday night, again, keep an eye on the forum for announcements of these fixtures.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Pity this is all based on the south side, i'd give it a shot but traffic after work crossing the city is a bollox...

I live in Finglas, and before that Coolock.

I've always had about three or four Northside based lads playing for us, it's no big deal really. Fair enough, the earlier kick offs can be tight, but after that it's fine.

Yeah but anyone who plays on astro a few times a week will know how tough it can be, really builds up close control and fitness. And most of the lads will have an idea where they play best and have positional awareness even if we do dare the odd killer run...

I live in Finglas, and before that Coolock.

I've always had about three or four Northside based lads playing for us, it's no big deal really. Fair enough, the earlier kick offs can be tight, but after that it's fine.

Thats a fair point man , The later ones would be gravy, I'm from Coolock myself..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Do we enough to start a galway based team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

right well my fitness is gone to sh1t in the last year, i'd be more than happy to come down for the last few games, but i may die! i'll keep an eye on the team forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Let's keep this thread on-topic. If you want to debate formations, the pros and cons of versatility or simply have a go at one another please take it to PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fairly stupid question; it's solely astro turf is it Des? I'd be presuming no mouldies of any type up this end of the country too? And lastly; what's the season length?

I'll probably give this a go seeing as I'm up in Dublin for the next 7 months.

cson wrote: »
    Fairly stupid question; it's solely astro turf is it Des? I'd be presuming no mouldies of any type up this end of the country too? And lastly; what's the season length?
    Yep, Astro only. Depends on the ref really, but all the lads recomment proper Astro boots

Season is about 18-20 Weeks from Mid April, but there is a pre season from Mid March
    cson wrote: »
    I'll probably give this a go seeing as I'm up in Dublin for the next 7 months.
    Cool.

Good luck anyway Des. Do the boards proud.

Right lads, still looking for players, for any position.

Tonight is our last league match of the season, and we'll have friendlies in the coming weeks.

I'll post the details of them as I get them.

For now.

Weds 31st March 8PM, St Colmcille's School Knocklyon.

If anyone is interested in popping out for that, post in here, or PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

I can't play tonight but I'd like to play for the season again - if you'll take me gaffer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would be interested in jumping on board (only realised the pun while re-reading before posting,... so pun not intended) .... played a friendly game for boardeaux about 18months ago... against soccer v poker forum I think..... poker won.

I played up front for a bit, then dropped into defence (was not fit enough for midfield)

I usually play astro on a Tues evening - but that might change ... will also work on my fitness....where is the game tonight - might turn up and watch !!

Idu wrote: »
    I can't play tonight but I'd like to play for the season again - if you'll take me gaffer!
    Love to have you back.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    ..where is the game tonight - might turn up and watch !!

3 Rock at 18.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

me and another lad quality defender are interested but we wont be available till start of may-ish dno if thats any use to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I might be interested in this but it all depends on me getting some fitness before-hand. I've been out of football for a couple of years now but I was decent when I played. My best position is CM but I really need to see how my fitness regime goes (starting tomorrow).

Oh and another important factor is the costs!

Advertisement