Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chances of bike been stolen overnight?

• 15-02-2010 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Im trying to cut down on the cost of my commute. Does anyone have any experience of leaving a bike at euston station overnight? My idea would be to buy a completely crappy bike that hopefully nobody would bother robbing, and be able to use it each day, and then lock it overnight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

risky...bad part of London that is....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Buy the best Kryptonite lock, your bike will survive the night but will be more than likely be minus several parts the following morning.

Just take out a DB contract. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ireland to London on a bike may take a bit long...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

St. Pancras International has some nice bike racks!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Buy the best Kryptonite lock, your bike will survive the night but will be more than likely be minus several parts the following morning.

Just take out a DB contract. :p

You should be able to fit a Kryptonite lock through the back wheel, frame and bike stand meaning your back wheel is secure. Bring a second lock for the front wheel and make sure you've removed detachable items like lights. Might want to bring a light lock for the seatpost as well if your seatpost is quick release.

I think bikes towards the back are less likely to be stolen. Trojan here had his bike stolen the one time he left it near the front. I know some people who leave bikes there from time to time with Kryptonite locks without problems.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    You should be able to fit a Kryptonite lock through the back wheel, frame and bike stand meaning your back wheel is secure. Bring a second lock for the front wheel and make sure you've removed detachable items like lights. Might want to bring a light lock for the seatpost as well if your seatpost is quick release.

I think bikes towards the back are less likely to be stolen. Trojan here had his bike stolen the one time he left it near the front. I know some people who leave bikes there from time to time with Kryptonite locks without problems.

jeez may as well wire it into a lamp post at 240v too just in case...

Still won't stop any of these tracksuit wearing scumbags from dancing on the wheels.

corktina wrote: »
    jeez may as well wire it into a lamp post at 240v too just in case...

What is your experience of locking bikes and leaving them unattended?

none at all, just amazed at the lengths you have to go to nowadays whereas when i was young (back in nineteen hundred and frozen-to-death) i never locked my bike and nor did anyone else...

Ah ok, thought you were criticising me for being over cautious. Yeah it is very frustrating alright, the lengths you have to go to to keep people from interfering with your property. Problem is the Gardaí don't give two ****s.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thought you were criticising me for being over cautious. Yeah it is very frustrating alright, the lengths you have to go to to keep people from interfering with your property. Problem is the Gardaí don't give two ****s.

Not the Gardai's fault, blame the revolving door prison system and lax sentences that let these scumbags out again. If someone really wants to leave a bike in Dublin City over night best place is outside Pearse St Garda Station and in front of CCTV cameras if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

Hmm guess I'll be paying for the bus then..:( HEUSTON station is out then. thank you for your very helpful contribution Run_to_da_hills..!) Ah theres always a smart ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

DublinBikes.ie?

They cover a limited area. I use them myself, but they only cut 2km off a 5km journey. For someone living in a different area, they might offer no benefit at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I assume you mean Heuston.
    Left my bike there overnight and cycled to and from for about 3-4 months.
    I used two locks - one top class one and one crappy one to basically lock everything down. Never had a problem, but I did see some guy look for his bike to realise it was gone.

Get a crappy enough bike, get two locks and lock it in a place less likely to involve the gaze of a tracksuit wearing howya.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not the Gardai's fault, blame the revolving door prison system and lax sentences that let these scumbags out again. If someone really wants to leave a bike in Dublin City over night best place is outside Pearse St Garda Station and in front of CCTV cameras if possible.
    For Heuston station a better one might be outside the Central Criminal Court - it's closer

more on
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055813249

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For Heuston station a better one might be outside the Central Criminal Court - it's closer

more on
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055813249

My guess is that bike racks at the station would be better. At least the station has security and the gates are closed at night. The courts bike parking is wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

I've had to lockup my bike in the Mountpellier Hill/Parkgate Street area several times.

The racks outside the criminal courts are covered and I think are most secure (they are visible from the street, there are loads of cops around there during the week, and there is a courts service security man standing near the vehicle gate by the rack during working hours)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

You don't say if you have a bike; what about one of the folding bikes you bring on train and use from Heuston to wherever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭howiya

How much are those fold up bikes? Have seen a few people with them on the Luas from time to time

Sounds like a good solution although if the OP can't afford his bus fare I doubt he'll be able to afford a new bike

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    How much are those fold up bikes? Have seen a few people with them on the Luas from time to time
    Anything under €500 wouldn't be worth talking about as they would either fall apart or else weigh a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mickus40

I looked into getting one of those fold ups, quite exspensive. Bromptom seem to be the best quality, and you can buy them in dublin. A meer snip at about 1000 euro:eek:
    So i reckon a cheapo bike and two good locks are the best bet. Thanks for the replies. You'll see me down at Heuston soon pulling my hair out looking for my bike;)

mickus40 wrote: »
    I looked into getting one of those fold ups, quite exspensive. Bromptom seem to be the best quality, and you can buy them in dublin. A meer snip at about 1000 euro:eek:
    So i reckon a cheapo bike and two good locks are the best bet. Thanks for the replies. You'll see me down at Heuston soon pulling my hair out looking for my bike;)
    Other option is to buy an old single speed high Nelly, you are guaranteed that no one will touch it. :p

Advertisement