Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back to piano after many years-where to start?

• 15-02-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all

Being lurking/reading boards.ie for a while and decided to sign up this am and post this question to see what advice/suggestions I could get! I played piano for years in schiool to grade seven level then with college/social life, life in general, kids and work etc etc didn't play for years and years. My xmas pressie this year was a keyboard so want to get back into playing. Dug around in parents house over xmas for sheet music but most of it gone and got a shock when I realised how out of touch I was when I grabbed some music and started to try playing-still could read treble clef ok because of some choral singing over the years but the bass clef, wow found myself stratching the head and counting lines...!!! Any suggestions, books online resources to help without spending a fortune....NOT going to classes as 1. cost 2. memories of old!! 3. should be able to do it myself!!!
    Any suggestions gratefully received thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

There are a lot of online resources now which might be of use. I think like most reading, it's a question of practise before it starts to flow again.

The following link is for YouTube - I just typed in 'piano tutorial' but I'm sure you can hone your search further.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=piano+tutorial&search_type=&aq=f

Also, ehow.com can be quite useful: http://www.ehow.com/information_1205-music.html

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 olddognotricks

Thank you, actually never thought of Youtube at all...def living up to my username....:o

I am going to try and search for some basic books also-plan to use them to get the kids started as well so won't go to waste-if anyone has suggestions on this front many thanks also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

what style of piano are you looking to get into? if reading sheet music is something you require, then the only way to brush up is by practicing. get as much new music as you can and sight read as much as you can. i'd recommend picking a composer you like and buying a book of sheet music.

youtube is also a fantastic resource, i've been playing for over 20 years (a lot considering i'm 25) and I was amazed by how much I learnt from this series of 30 videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQOqtj7fCg (this is the first one)

Yes I think getting lots of new music is the only way, I like all really but classical is probably the route I'll take initially..the ultimate goal is to get back and do grade 8 of the ROI exams, the thinking was to put a kind of framework in place for practice..ie work off a list of what I need to do..will look on the ROI website for the whatcha call it....the oh crap the syllabus that's it.....jeez my brain....will try to dig up some old exam books from the earlier years...or is this crazy stuff!!! I remember the Eclipse book back when I started, god I hated that book....!!!;) Do people still do the ROI exams anymore??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Few Rhymes to help out with reading!!

Treble Clef Lines: Every Green Bus Drives Fast

Treble Clef Spaces: F A C E (just spells Face)!!

Bass Clef Lines: Green Buses Drive Fast Always

Bass Clef Spaces: All Cows Eat Grass

Each of these rhymes read from the bottom line up on the stave.

Just a little starter!!

But as said, have a look at youtube to see more. I havn't looked myself but may be of help to you! I hope my little bit helps a little too!!

• Advertisement

Hi Nicknackgtb,

Your post has unleashed some well buried memories...I can't believe I had forgotten them!!!! The rhyme I can remember now being rattled off is:

Every Good Boy Deserves Fanta!!!!! and Good boys deserve fanta always!!!:D As well as FACE and all cows eat grass!!!!

Wow thanks for that, these are the simple things that will really help!!!!:)

let this be a warning to anyone who lets it slide for as long as I have!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Hi Nicknackgtb,

Your post has unleashed some well buried memories...I can't believe I had forgotten them!!!! The rhyme I can remember now being rattled off is:

Every Good Boy Deserves Fanta!!!!! and Good boys deserve fanta always!!!:D As well as FACE and all cows eat grass!!!!

Wow thanks for that, these are the simple things that will really help!!!!:)

let this be a warning to anyone who lets it slide for as long as I have!!!:o

Ha ha, yeah its the little things that help alright, and once you know these, its a great start to get back up and running!!

Try out a few scales to get you up and running by starting on c major and then to G (with F#) and then up to D (with F# and C#). Remember fingering:

RH: 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5

LH: 5 4 3 2 1 3 2 1

It will get your fingers back working again and get the momentum flowing again. then just move back into doing 2 octaves and so on! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Few Rhymes to help out with reading!!

Treble Clef Lines: Every Green Bus Drives Fast

Treble Clef Spaces: F A C E (just spells Face)!!

Each of these rhymes read from the bottom line up on the stave.

Just a little starter!!

But as said, have a look at youtube to see more. I havn't looked myself but may be of help to you! I hope my little bit helps a little too!!

Wow! I will learn it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

I seem to remember Every Good Boy Deserves Fruit... can't remember any of the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Even Gary Brings Duck Food

nice lil' one we made for our friend gary in 5th year music... stuck the best!

• Advertisement
Advertisement