Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wearing of jodhpurs

Options
  • 15-02-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Do you always wear jodhpurs while riding? Or do you wear jeans, chinos, tracksuits, etc. and just wear jodhpurs while hunting/competing/lessons?

This question has partly come from Charlie's post a few days ago, and partly from something my OH mentioned to me the other day re my non-wearing of jodhpurs while riding on a daily basis - I tend to ride in jeans and half-chaps mostly, and usually just wear jodhpurs while hunting/competing. Is this usual? Or am I in the minority? What would most people do?

When riding, I mostly wear jodhpurs 43 votes

every day - I wouldn't get up on a horse without them
    0% 0 votes
    most days
    51% 22 votes
    not very often - I usually ride in jeans/tracksuits/other
    23% 10 votes
    only when hunting/competing/for lessons
    25% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

same here, i only wear jods at a show..at home i'll wear anything i can get my hands on - jeans, leggings, jog pants etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Usually just a pair of tracksuit bottoms and aul waterproofs but I wear jodhs when going to competitions or lessons etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Always jods. Dunno why really, just habit I guess. I find them comfortable, and smooth under my half chaps, so I never really had reason to wear anything else.

It's long boots that I avoid wearing unless I have to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

i only wear mine when hunting, use jeans & chaps during lessons or riding out on my sisters horses.

Seeing as i had to buy a second white pair for hunting i might wear my black ones more often (but fellas don't feel as comfortable in skin tight clothes as women do!!!:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Mmm, I rarely wear jodhs anymore. No reason really, I just find it exceptionally hard to keep them clean or at least not horribly stained up while riding 3 or 4 horses and doing chores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I never wear jods unless I'm out of everything else! :D

I live in my old tracksuit bottoms, with ski socks under half chaps they're so comfy! (although need to invest in a belt for the older ones! They're so raggidy the waist is all stratched)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Recently I've been wearing my jods more often, not sure why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

If I'm riding I always wear my jodhs on since last summer though. I bought full seat suede ones over the summer and wore them everyday as I was working in a dressage yard and they helped me sit much better without having to constantly hold myself which made riding without stirrups a world easier and I could focus on my lower back without worrying about slidding to the side a little or slipping on my terrible leather saddle.

Needless to say once I got a propper dressage saddle combined with the full suede seat... I fell in love. It was like being super glued. Which left more time to correct well... hands, head, back, shoulders, looseness, aids... etc..etc :rolleyes: i was constantly correcting.... lol

I also am never found without my oils though. They're one of my other loves staying dry in a downpour with a reasonable amount of grip also. Thumbs Up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I love wearing my jodhs - they're so warm and comfy! I have a black pair and a navy pair. I always wear them for my lessons with a pair of half-chaps and also helping out in the yard - I wear them inside a pair of wellies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Got into a habit years ago of wearing them. Would never ride in a lesson without them and leather boots but thats as much about an old fashioned respect for the Instructor/Trainer that was instilled in me years ago.

Wranger Jeans and Chaps Long/Short depending on weather is the other chosen riding wear. There is a real good reason why 'Cowboys always wea Wrangler';)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

i'm on the fence with this one to. i like wearing my jods because i find them more comfortable. but when i'm out in the yard with normal clothes on i get to lazy to go in and change.

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I find a tracksuit too slippy and that jeans "rub",even with chaps (wearing them, not chaps as in male!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I wear breeches as I can't stand any bulk against my ankle/calf. I hate riding in jeans, most of them have inseams which damage the saddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

when i was in the equestrian club in college there was a girl who said she use to ride in shorts :eek: ooooo the pinch!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Ouch, that sounds painful! I remember doing that when I was a child and it hurt like hell! Not something I'd ever like to experience again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Wicked wrote: »
    when i was in the equestrian club in college there was a girl who said she use to ride in shorts :eek: ooooo the pinch!!!!!!!!!!

Never flattering no matter what your size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

always jods - im a short @ss so anything else drags on the ground unless I tuck them into boots. I find jeans too cold to ride in and tracksuit bottoms dont have anough grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

always jods - they dry out quicker than jeans for riding in Irish weather !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

never wear breeches only when hunting or racing.
    spent 270 on boots only wear them when riding out for a trainer near me.
    wear jeans and runners riding at home.(dont start, the father goes mad at me for riding in runners "i've been riding 50 years and never wore runners on a horse" is his favourite line.) been hung up in the iron but sure feck it.
    tbh i get annoyed by people that wear snow white jods ALL the time. its like you dont have to show us all you ride, we see the horse underneath you

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

and as for waterproofs, ya cant beat the good old ornella prosperi jacket + Paul Carberry pants combo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

s-cogan wrote: »
    never wear breeches only when hunting or racing.
    spent 270 on boots only wear them when riding out for a trainer near me.
    wear jeans and runners riding at home.(dont start, the father goes mad at me for riding in runners "i've been riding 50 years and never wore runners on a horse" is his favourite line.) been hung up in the iron but sure feck it.
    tbh i get annoyed by people that wear snow white jods ALL the time. its like you dont have to show us all you ride, we see the horse underneath you

haha im the same, spent 200 odd euro on a pair of leather mountain horse boots and have worn them about four times, and have a collection of various coloured jodhpurs which i neeeeevvvver wear, i ride in leggings and ugg boots (which are definitely worse than runners and will probably horrify the correctly attired:)im always warm and always comfortable though so unless i REALLYhave to throw on the boots and jodhpurs im always going to pick dressing as though i fell out of the sky onto my horse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fay25

always jods, even when i'm just around the yard doin bits and bobs and not riding! They're comfy..plus i get them free so tis probably the real reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I always ride in jods or breeches - I can't ride in anything else! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Wear jods. Fell off last week on to concrete road, no tears or rips in me or the jods, I'd like to see what would happen to a pair of jogging pants,
    as for wearing shorts whilst riding:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I live in jeans and half chaps, I only wear breeches out hunting or when competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Jeans and half chaps. I am short and fat, and have a terrible time finding jods that fit right. Well, I have found a few, but at 150 plus to buy them, they simply aren't something I can wear every day. I can find jeans that are comfortable to ride in and inexpensive pretty easily. Jods only get worn for shows.

Advertisement