Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting LA fitness

Options
  • 15-02-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Quitting LA Fitness
    I've been trying to get out of LA Fitness for a few weeks now. I called the place and said i wanted to leave (i'm leaving the gym because the new gym at the rugby club is SAVAGE and it costs me nothing) she said fine but you've to give one month's notice. She asked me to come in and sign forms but I can't really as I don't live near there any more. So she told me to email finance in LA and thell them I was leaving. No word back after two mails, called twice now too. Am I ok to let the last payment come out and then cut off the DD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭wijam

JonnyF wrote: »
    Quitting LA Fitness
    I've been trying to get out of LA Fitness for a few weeks now. I called the place and said i wanted to leave (i'm leaving the gym because the new gym at the rugby club is SAVAGE and it costs me nothing) she said fine but you've to give one month's notice. She asked me to come in and sign forms but I can't really as I don't live near there any more. So she told me to email finance in LA and thell them I was leaving. No word back after two mails, called twice now too. Am I ok to let the last payment come out and then cut off the DD?
    JonnyF - ran into the same issue a few years ago quitting another gym, I emailed them a few times and then called them and got the run around.

I eventually had to email them advising that I'd get in contact with my solictor if they tried to take any more money out of my account. In this email I included all dates and times of calling and emailing them and avised of the non-action on their part - that did the trick for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

I just tried to call there again and got no joy. I sent another email saying that once this month's membership is taken out ( you've to give a month's notice) I'll be cutting off the standing order. I assume I'm well within my rights to do that aren't I?

It depends on the contract you sign. The gym I was with, I had to actually go in and sign a form to cancel as well, and I still had to threaten them with a solictor as they were not getting the finger out.

If I were in your position, I'd try to get to speak to someone and confirm it, and then if need be include that in the email.

Gyms are all the same when it comes to cancelling, a useless shower of......

think you're right, for the sake of an awkward 20 minutes there it's worth going up and signing the *expletive deleted* forms. maybe they'll do the thing in friends where the roll out some ridiculous hottie to try and sway me,

JonnyF wrote: »
    think you're right, for the sake of an awkward 20 minutes there it's worth going up and signing the *expletive deleted* forms. maybe they'll do the thing in friends where the roll out some ridiculous hottie to try and sway me,
    well if they do, make sure you take a picture and post it up for the rest of us.....lol

• Advertisement

iwannaquitthegym.png?w=500&h=405yeah that wouldn't be weird at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wijam wrote: »

I eventually had to email them advising that I'd get in contact with my solictor if they tried to take any more money out of my account. In this email I included all dates and times of calling and emailing them and avised of the non-action on their part - that did the trick for me.

Were you in a contract? What woudl you have said to the solicitor if they'd pushed it? "I sign a contract and now I decided I dont want to pay it anymore"?

Just as a matter of interest (not directed at you soecifcally) , but these threads come up he often enough, if it was the other way round and the gym agreed to pay you €50 a month for a year, then after 6 months decided they did'nt want to pay you anymore, would you just say "ok" and leave it at that?

that's a fair point but i've been a member for over three years now so the terms of my original contract (12 months) have long since elapsed. I'm now on a rolling contract month to month.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's worth making the effort to cancel the contract correctly. If this means going to them in person and signing some forms, then you're better off doing that.

They have no problems with you leaving, they just want you to sign forms.

Advertisement