Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much pocket money?

• 15-02-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was trying to remember how much pocket money I used to get. This would have been the early 80s, and I know I could buy a comic (Buster or Roy of the Rovers, so 12p-16p gone straight away) and have enough change for a bar of chocolate or something, but the likes of Munchies were beyond my pay grade, so I suspect it was 30p a week to begin with, rising to 50p by my early teens. Whether it ever made the lofty heights of a whole pound, I can't remember.

How much pocket money did you get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I can remember getting 6d for years which I would spend on my Matchbox car collection. My 1st cousin got 2 Shillings which then made me jealous, I then got a rise to 4 shillings if I did some extra work around the house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

about the mid eighties i used to get a pound i was about 15 or 16 at the time and from what i remember everyone else seemed to have more money than me, or at least thats the way it seemed:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A shiney pound :D that would have been from the end of the 80s up through the 90s, used to get loads with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Hold on to your hats as i spin you a story of woe and injustice;

the year is 1996, young Glenster gets £5 per week but one week young Glenster loses his money on monday, the note flies from his pocket like so many broken dreams.

Young Glenster is inconsolable, that evening he trudges home, the sky never seemed so grey, the grass so brown. Fighting back floods of tears Glenster explains to his Mom and Dad that he lost his pocket money, he doesn't ask for replacement money, all he wants to do is share his loss and unload his burden.

"What!"

"You are so irresponsible!"

"We shouldn't give you pocket money if this is the respect you have for it!"

"You know what we should do Marie, stop his pocket money for good"

Young Glenster pales, the dream has died and so has his innocence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A pound every 2 weeks or so, but I also got a number of comic subscriptions and they always came with something free so I was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

None. We'd be allowed to get some sweets or a comic now and then but there was never anything regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

None. If i wanted a toy or sweets I just asked. 7 times outta 10 I probably got it. The mother was a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I remember getting 10p when I was a wee lass in the gay and green days. Then when time progressed and we moved to a larger house I moved steadily up to 30p, enough for a Beano and a few sweeties. Time progressed more and so did my pocket money. 50p was my Saturday morning wage. Enough for a Beano, Mr Freeze, packet of crisps and sweets. Then the old Pound coin came along to replace the note. I used to get one mashed into my hand every week by my parents drunk friends usually on a Sunday after my Saturday payment. By then I could afford to get the Dandy and the Beano. I was minted :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

used to get 10p of my nanny, rising to 20p!

then she gave me one of these new pound coins, and i think i bought 20 chew chew bars.

Folks used to give me a pound, and once a month i was allowed rent a commodore 64 game

Then one day, i got my first job. and the rests history :(

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I used to get 5 pounds. Now I get 25 euro.
    I don't think it's normal that I still get pocket money at the age of 19. But hey, I'm not complaining. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

If I remember rightly, it was a pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Started at 50p iirc and then up to a pound by the end of the 80's. Communion and Confirmation seemed like every xmas and birthday had arrived at once! Not a patch on what the kids get today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

We got 3d pocket money, a comic each (Bunty in my case and The Beano for my brother) and 3d put in each of our money boxes each week -

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I started going up the town on Saturday mornings with my friend when I was about 10. I got 50p:). (aw remember 50ps? There was some kind of bird on it)

An example of what we get would be as follows..A chocolate bun in Quinnsworth like a big version of those little Cadbury Flake buns, a Thataway ice pop and a ping pong ball to bounce on the way home:o. My sister and me got a few girls comics during the week but my mam would buy them (she loved reading them too).

I remember going uptown when it was my birthday once and getting a whole pound:).

Ann22 wrote: »
    I started going up the town on Saturday mornings with my friend when I was about 10. I got 50p:). (aw remember 50ps? There was some kind of bird on it)

3681517942_2e019bc7d2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I used to get £5 a month around the mid '90s. Fruit Gums and most similar sweets were around 25-30p back then so it was grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

12p every day from 1979-1984 (my secondary school years). Below the average as I still recall with a certain wistfulness. It was the exact price of a packet of whatever Starburst were called back then (it has escaped me).

12p every day from 1979-1984 (my secondary school years). Below the average as I still recall with a certain wistfulness. It was the exact price of a packet of whatever Starburst were called back then (it has escaped me).

Opal fruits.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I remember me and my two brothers demanded pocket money of a pound a week each - thinking we'd never get it. Then we got offered a pound a day between the three of us every day after dinner, or else our original demand!! Needless to say we went with the second option (although I had to do a lot of explaing to my bros that it was better cos they didn't want to share). There used to be some mad fighting over who got the 34p. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was an only child (still am I suppose) and I never really got a fixed amount. Just kinda got what I asked for which used to frustrate my father because I never really asked for anything. See my Granny used to slip me 20notes every Friday with the words 'don't tell your mother' and a wink so I was golden. That would have been from when I was 10(1994) or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Think it was around a quid, but it was easily supplemented by slyly maneuvering the aul fella into a mortifying but financially rewarding you're me besht son routine by getting him a cup of tea and toast when he came home from the pub.

Advertisement