Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing OSM maps in Garmin Training Center without Mapsource

Options
  • 15-02-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of laptops, one of which I use for my own Garmin Training Centre data (from a Garmin Forerunner 405) and also for connectivity with my Garmin Zumo 550. It's got the latest City navigator maps, as well as OSM maps etc. All maps are available in training centre, which is great.

My OH also has a Forerunner 405, but I don't want to go to the trouble of installing the 4 gig Mapsource/City Navigator on this laptop, and would prefer to stick with OSM. Currently her Garmin training center shows an old version of the World Map/base map, which is embarrassingly poor.

Question: How can I install the OSM maps so that they are available to Training Centre, without having to do a complete Mapsource/City Navigator install? Is there a version of Mapsource available that doesn't need a qualifying product? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Actually, I think I may have just answered my own question (if only people like me would go to the trouble of searching google first!). It appears that Garmin Training Centre is a qualifying product, so I can:
    1) Install Training Center (already installed)
    2) Install Mapsource (using Training centre as a qualifying product)
    3) Get a version of OSM for mapsource and install this, and it will be available for both products.

Thanks for watching.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Didn't realise that Training Centre would count for that, about the only useful thing it does then. ;)

I just let TC do it's thing on the 405 syncing and then close it down, and then have the OSM maps loaded into SportsTracks. They actually download the map tiles from the web so you have thee most up to date ones all the time, rather than the last set of img's that you installed locally.

I think I may have used a modified version of the SMC contor maps regedit install script to get some other maps versions installed before and they got picked up by TC fine then, been a while since I messed with it though so cannot exactly remember what, or why, I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't realise that Training Centre would count for that, about the only useful thing it does then. ;)
    It's also a handy back-up tool!

I like having mapsource installed as well anyway (along with the contour maps) as it's handy for planning a route in advance. OSM is routable too, so should do the job, and keep the OH's greasy paws off my laptop. :)

Just tried it, and it worked a treat.

Advertisement